PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Im at 307/310. Hmmmmm. Next Get paid on the 26th. My budget was reduced from 390 this month due to various issues. Think 310 was to hopeful. Especially as it's included two birthday teas and cake. I'll see how close I can get it though. Only top up items and toilet roll are needed really and I have the begginings of an emergency fund that can be used so we won't starve. Hopefully back to usual budget next month although I think I've just been done for speeding so I might be screwed again.my fault I know.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Already over our budget for the month (some of it is pre-paying for our weekly local veg delivery so it's not as bad as it seems), but still a bit disappointed. Maybe I set the budget too low. We have a lot of dried food though so will be doing a lot of cupboard cooking for the next few weeks!
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Spends so far this month...

3rd.
    A!di - £3.94 for dog biscuits (for 4-legged friends I see at work, a box lasts almost a year!), marmalade, jar of pasta sauce and a garlic baguette (for tea that night with pasta and vegetarian meatballs I already had in), potato wedges (for tea the next night) and soya milk.
    Her0n - £4.58 for a tub of 0reo ice-cream (for supper that night), some jaffa cakes and a block of cheese.

4th.
    A!di - £3.05 for some rtc cheese topped rolls (was actually charged full price, so went back next day and was given a refund for the 50% overcharge), tea bags (which I was desperate for having forgotten the day before) and a tin of a marinade powder.

4th.
    Her0n - £1 for a tub of custard ice cream (went down well over the weem with some individual christmas puddings I'd bought in clearance from Icel@nd a few weeks ago)

8th.
    A!di - £1.21 on a loaf of bread, pack of custard creams and pack of oatie biscuits.

10th.
    A!di - £2.25 on some tortilla chips (have a jar of salsa in my cupboad that needs using up), a jar of mayo (finally remembered to pick some up - down to final scrapes of jar in fridge!), baby potatoes (for tea that day), a pack of cola laces and another pack of custard creams.
    Her0n - £6.28 on 6 bags of peanuts, 2 fruit cakes, an rtc tub of tuna mayo and an rtc pack of haslet slices.
    Cosct0 - £3.49 for 3 packs of 4 bean burgers. OH picked them up on the way to mine as I'd been sent to a different office away from the store, and clearly didn't hear me ask him to pick up 2 lots! Still, at least I've got some ;)

11th.
    A!di - £3.64 for soya milk, marmalade, honey and a large tub of mushrooms.

Total spend of the month so far £29.44

Doesn't sound a lot, but it's still more than I wanted to have spent by this point :o Going out shortly expecting to start picking up long-life items for a week away (self catering well away from affordable shops, so we take as much as possible) and some ingredients to bake some items before we go, and then pick up some more long-life items after work one night this week (hopefully at 'my' base near a large Mr T at least one day), then fresh and frozen from local A!di and Icel@nd last minute before we go. At least a week away from shops should make that a very low spend (hopefully no spend) week.
    Cheryl
  • Only £24.50 Food and household for week ending 10th March.

This week will be more. I've bought 2 salmon sides for £7.50 per kilo from Mr T to portion up and I'm cooking for the extended family on Saturday.:)
    GC Challenge March £55.48/£200
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    £28.43 spent since last update.
    OH spent £7.46; loaf of bread, milk, giraffe loaf, chicken soup (2), shortcake, Ben and Jerry phish food and fig rolls.
    I spent £20.97; gluten free vegan bread (2), Alpro caffe milk (2), vegan gluten free cornetto(2), Alpro caramel desert, vegetable crisps (4).
    Yep mostly junk, but on offer and barely bought. It was £6 for my two loaves :eek: . I will freeze some for later. The vegan gluten free cornetto are on offer £2.50 a pack instead of £3. So Bread and ice cream cones were £11 alone :o.

Me - £43.32/£77.50. £34.18 left.
    OH - £25.05/£77.50. £52.45 left.
    Total - £68.40/£155. £86.60 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • TooClumsy
    TooClumsy Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hello, have spent a total of £89.20 with a MuscleFoods delivery coming today for £44.99 including delivery, which will bring totals up to £134.19/£300. Technically the Muscle Foods order could come from my bulk buy budget, but am saving that for a Costco trip this weekend.

Musclefoods Order includes:

10-12 Chicken breast fillets
    4 packs of free-range beef steak mince
    4 free-range beef sirloin steaks
    and then for a £1 extra we got:

2 free-range beef minute steaks
    1 pack of free-range giant beef meatballs
    2 5oz hickory seasoned chicken steaks
    2 4oz beef rump steak burgers
    10 smoked back bacon medallions
    6 Cumberland sausages
    200g chicken mini fillets

I usually buy the 5kg of chicken breast fillets for £25 + delivery, but thought it was a good deal (£40+delivery) and there is a lot of variety in there.

Meal Plan this week is super simple, because CBA in all honesty..

Tonights meal will be gyoza and dipping sauces
    Tomorrows dinner will be Larb Gai (minced chicken and veggies in lettuce cups) with the remaining being for tomorrows lunch

Hope everyone has had a relaxing day, the bed is almost in sight..!
    GC Challenge 2018:
    Jan £309.44/£290.72
    Feb £204.81/£290
    March £153.60/£300
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What about the cost is frustrating you? Is it the calculation of individual meals, the weekly shop costs or something else?

A bit of both, I seem to have lost track of what is cheap, but also not sure how to estimate costs before shopping.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ancientmum wrote: »
    I almost forgot, does anyone know where you can buy the recycle-able toothbrushes? I have read you can get ones made from bamboo, and that toothbrushes account for a huge amount of plastic waste.

Thanks.

Babipur.co.uk are great for eco products like toothbrushes, solid shampoo, reusable sandwich wraps etc. They only use recyclable packaging and are super speedy with delivery too.

I spent £1.98 today on 3 bottles of fizzy drink, some reduced priced mushrooms, parsnips and bananas from Mr T's. paid 21p for 284g of mushrooms, 17p for over a 1kg of bananas and 31p for a pack of baby parsnips.
    We've already eaten the mushrooms, the bananas will be eaten over the next couple of days or turned into banana loaf and the parsnips will keep till the weekend in the fridge.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    selloptape wrote: »
    A bit of both, I seem to have lost track of what is cheap, but also not sure how to estimate costs before shopping.
    Depending on where you shop you can check prices on line.

All the big supermarkets have their own websites as does Iceland, so they're easy. I use mysupermarket.co.uk to check Aldi and Lidl, though nowhere near all their items are listed.

I also tend to hang onto receipts for a while and/or keep a spreadsheet of what I bought where/when/cost so I can refer back to see what I last paid for something. That gives me the most accurate picture for Aldi, Poundstretcher, B&M, Home Bargains/Quality Save and other such outlets.

Having price histories means I can fairly accurately estimate the cost of a meal plan before I go shopping - I'm just not very good at meal planning so don't do it as often as I should ;)
    Cheryl
  • selloptape wrote: »

If you mainly use the big supermarkets (sort of including Aldi and Lidl) then mysupermarket.com might help with cost planning?
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure