Employer asking me to work Weekend + Mon-Fri

Options

Comments

• DanSpooner
    DanSpooner Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I can feel for you - can another team member help ? Please don’t be afraid to ask or suggest why am I the only one doing this if you are?
    If you aren’t ask your colleagues what they intend do? It was only when I took a day off, that it suddenly come to roost actually there was an allocation of money for 2 people to do the job.....

Do I wish it happened sooner - yes.

I accepted being sales person, administrator and billing controller in one for far to long. I wish I had queried it, the boss reckoned they really didn’t know.

What would they do if you had booked that weekend away? When I’ve done expo’s in past it has usually meant a day off given back.

We're quite a small office so I've been asked to do the whole event and others will come and join on certain days (so I'm the unlucky one!). The reason I'm being picked for this is because I'm the most suitable for the job.

We were told specifically not to book these day's off back in January so to be fair they have given me time... It's just a long time with no rest days or benefits of going which is annoying!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DanSpooner wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me. I've worked here just under a year but I'm quite a seasoned veteran in the market and I would like to think that I'm worth a fair amount to my company. It's just quite a long period of work with no break/rest day.

It doesn't take me under the NMW/NLW.

I agree and I would expect an employer to behave better.

BUT you have almost no employment rights, kick up a fuss now and when budgets are reviewed later this year you may find yourself at the sharp end.
  • DanSpooner
    Options
    Clearly this is part of the job and not really extra work.

It is down to negotiation how this works in practice.

By the sounds of it the first time it has come up for you so you need to establish the current thinking and boundaries on how these trips work in the place you work.

Timings of travel(do you do the set up and takedown),

Expense policies, cheap hotels or decent, food& beverage allowances, incidentals

TOIL, extra flexibility other times.

Are there others more experienced than you that you can ask how this works for them.

I do understand that extra time is part of the work and I wouldn't mind working one day of a weekend every now and then, but working 12 days in a row just seems a bit excessive to me.

I will be placed in a hotel and I'll have expenses in terms of a food allowance but thats it.

I'll be sure to ask some of the others!
  • DanSpooner
    Options

Thanks Richard, so do I technically not have a leg to stand on legally? As I'll have a 12 days working then 2 days off after that?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I do wonder sometimes at people's relationships with their employer when questions like this are asked.

Surely the phrase it's good to talk is apt here?

How many work shirts do you have? Would there be an issue if you asked for some more, assuming that they are work provided - though again I'm with ReadingTim on this one re the washing.
  • DanSpooner
    Options
    I do wonder sometimes at people's relationships with their employer when questions like this are asked.

Surely the phrase it's good to talk is apt here?

How many work shirts do you have? Would there be an issue if you asked for some more, assuming that they are work provided - though again I'm with ReadingTim on this one re the washing.

You are right, it is something I intend to talk to my boss about. I just wanted to fact find before the discussion to see what my rights are and see how to angle the whole thing.

I've got 5 which see me through the week (they aren't work provided its a suit and tie job). I placed that in there more so that it'll be a hectic week and its even finding the time to do things like that when you don't have a weekend to do it.

I'm not trying to kick up a fuss with my work, its just that having no time off in that time is quite inconvenient in more ways than just social/rest time.
  • DanSpooner
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    I would do the extra work, mark it down in an email to your line manager and very politely ask when can I expect the two days back off, or it is ok to add them to my holidya later on in the year.

No harm in asking, and what ever the response get it in writing

I actually think this is quite a good option too. I'm not looking to make a song and dance about the whole thing it just feels like I'll be working a lot with no rest. I've worked in retail before and never done 12 days in a row let alone in my line of work so I'm just a bit nervous about burning out.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Been there nearly a year and this is the first time something like this has come up.

I would be looking at this from a very different angle.

Stepping up to make this event the best they have ever had.
    Networking with customers and competitors.
    Learning experience
    A few beers on the company coin

MY washer and dryer can do a months worth of work clothes(basic office type ,not down pit) in 2 washes, 1 for the shirts, 1 for the rest
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    DanSpooner wrote: »
    I actually think this is quite a good option too. I'm not looking to make a song and dance about the whole thing it just feels like I'll be working a lot with no rest. I've worked in retail before and never done 12 days in a row let alone in my line of work so I'm just a bit nervous about burning out.

You won't burn out, unless you are ill to start with. I've done back to back days over months and lived to tell the tale!

As a business owner, I'd think it was perfectly acceptable to ask for a bit of time off after the event. Sometimes with everything else to think about, I don't always spot that someone may be working more than they 'should', so we have a general thing where people are supposed to point out to management if they are doing more than they should.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    You won't burn out, unless you are ill to start with. I've done back to back days over months and lived to tell the tale!

As a business owner, I'd think it was perfectly acceptable to ask for a bit of time off after the event. Sometimes with everything else to think about, I don't always spot that someone may be working more than they 'should', so we have a general thing where people are supposed to point out to management if they are doing more than they should.

Hmm but there are strict rules within the haulage industry as to how many hours a driver, certainly, can work within a 24 hour period for obvious reasons.

If the OP's contract stipulates week end working in addition to normal hours (are days off in lieu not mentioned therein?) I fail to see how they have any grounds for complaint. If he can't find the opportunity to do laundry except on week ends, buy some more shirts, fgs!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure