IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PPS unfair parking ticket - Didcot

Options
Common_Villager
Common_Villager Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 2 March 2018 at 5:16PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,

I am writing this on behalf of my partner who has recently had an appeal against a PCN issued by Premier Parking Solutions (PPS) rejected.

The PCN was issued after she had parked her car at a car park opposite Didcot Parkway Railway Station, supposedly having not purchased a ticket, but in actual fact she had bought and displayed her ticket, but during the course of the day (or, more likely, when she shut her door) it had been blown / fallen onto the driver's seat (face up, may I add).

Regretfully, an appeal was submitted almost immediately, and prior to me finding these forums, within which she confirmed that she was the driver (doh!).

Unsurprisingly, the appeal was rejected despite the supporting evidence provided showing that she had indeed purchased a ticket for 24 hours (at the price of £6 odd).

Of course, she is still unwilling to pay given that she had bought a ticket! So, the option provided by PPS is for her to submit an appeal via the IAS. Now, I've read (and re-read) the NEWBIES thread and there seems to be pros and cons to submitting an appeal via the IAS. I favour the route of not appealing, but my partner seems to have decided that she wants to appeal in order to display that she has acted reasonably throughout the process (when you're not experienced in this type of thing, the possibility of numerous letters from debt collectors and even courts is quite daunting). Thus, I am trying to draft an appeal to the IAS that takes into consideration the fact driver identity has been confirmed.

I would appreciate if someone could post a draft appeal that meets these requirements, or point me in the direction of a thread that already has one which I could use.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Common Villager

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Appealing to the IAS is absolutely futile. Not only that the inevitable rejection often makes people think they should pay.

Start off with the mentality that you are going to tough it out and people do then tough it out.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Follow waamo's advice, but in addition, complain to the landowner and your MP.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    An inevitable rejection by the 'independent' assessor will mean the appellant has had their appeal rejected twice - by the PPC, then by the IAS. That gives the PPC even more impetus to try a court case. And PPS do have the occasional foray to the small claims court.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Premier_Parking_Solutions.html
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Common_Villager
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I will write to our local MP and urge my partner to refrain from appealing to the IAS.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 March 2018 at 4:31PM
    Options
    I've read (and re-read) the NEWBIES thread and there seems to be pros and cons to submitting an appeal via the IAS.
    I say there are NO pros, I agree with your view. Unless the circumstances are very rare (e.g. a site with no signs at all, or the person being pursued was neither the driver nor the keeper) then IMHO there is absolutely nothing to be gained by appealing and your gf will be knocked back by the rejection letter and she will then feel on the back foot.

Don't do that to her. Please tell her from me, from one woman to another, don't try IAS!

Can you edit your thread title please?

We/you can't have a title called 'Appeal to IAS' as it makes no sense, there isn't one. This will stop you getting meaningful replies on your thread when you come back later when PPS threaten court. they are not very litigious.

Suggested thread title would be 'PPS unfair parking ticket - Didcot' and also you can find other threads about this place by searching the forum for 'PPS Didcot' as your keywords. It's been mentioned loads of times, no-one pays this rip-off penalty.

You should read these links and watch the MPs debate in Parliament, to fire you up:

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2018-02-02b.1149.0

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5787731

Just 4 weeks ago, the private parking industry's little game and 'outrageous scam' (Hansard), has been finally been condemned unanimously by MPs in Parliament in the private parking Code of Practice Bill debate, where (guess who?) PPS were named and shamed along with their Trade Body, the IPC. AND THE IAS TOO!!

Watch it, read it, get it. Well worth watching. Use the words from the debate transcript, to point your MP in the right direction. This will run & run, demands all year. Horrible, but do NOT pay.

Please do edit the thread title and don't start a new one, stick with this one as you fight back.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Common_Villager
    Options
    Hi,

It!!!8217;s been a while so I thought I!!!8217;d provide a quick update on our situation...

My girlfriend has received several !!!8216;Demands for payment!!!8217; from Debt Recovery Plus, and they even managed to track down the fact we had moved into a new house before we had got around to notifying them.

Today we received two letters at our new address (dated 22/05/18 and 23/05/18), each with a different date by which we must make payment (05/06/18 and 06/06/18).

We have been following this forum!!!8217;s advice by not paying, but my girlfriend is now concerned that a court case may be on the horizon.

Just so we!!!8217;re prepared, could someone advise what steps we should take if/when a court summoning letter arrives? And is there anything else that we should be doing in the meantime?

Thanks again in advance for any responses.

Common Villager
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,565 Forumite
    Options
    this is the newbie thread ... it contains all the information that forum members use ...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

look for the section re court action so that you will already know what to do .. if court action is started .....

oh and watch / read the below to see what MP's think of all this

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Common Villager

As said 1000's of times on here ....
    IGNORE DRP AND ANY OTHER STUPID DEBT COLLECTOR

They simply cannot do anything and are timewasters

If the PPC wants to take the court route, they have to
    firstly provide proof of any claim and give you 30 days
    to respond

IGNORE THE DRP IDIOTS
  • Common_Villager
    Options
    Thanks for the responses thus far.

We have been ignoring the letters but I am keen to draft a response in anticipation of a LBC. I!!!8217;ve read the previous responses in the NEWBIES section, but I can!!!8217;t find one that is tailored to our particular situation, as my girlfriend did identify herself as the driver (before I found this forum) and also had an appeal that was submitted to PPS rejected (unsurprisingly). I have also written to my local MP but have not yet had a response.

Common Villager
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,506 Forumite
    Options
    Please switch off your 'Smart Punctuation' on your iPhone/iPad to avoid the littering of your posts with !!!!8820; and the like, as every apostrophe and some other punctuations convert to exclamation marks and numbers.

Go to 'General' > 'Keyboard' > 'Smart Punctuation' and flick the switch off.

Switching off seems to have no detrimental affect on any other use of the keyboard.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport