cavity wall insulation claim

Options

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mark999888 wrote: »
    i had cavity wall insulation installed a couple of years ago and I now have mold and damp which Ive never had before. I feel I have grounds to make a claim, the company that installed the cwi are no longer in business and ive heard many negative reviews about CIGA yet I don't trust the reclaim companies that are swamping the internet.
    Not sure what to do
    Find where the water is getting in to your house and plug up the holes or cracks. Cavity wall insulation doesn't create damp from nowhere. It's getting into your house somewhere
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Find where the water is getting in to your house and plug up the holes or cracks.

Not sure which hole or crack you are going to cover up if your cavity has been bridged...
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    i am in same boat matey
    never had damp problems before, few years after cwi installed now have wet water marks on wall, cannot find cause, therefore i think its insulation not properly installed is cause of it

This is the problem CIGA get frustrated over. People "think" all sorts and want to make a claim. CIGA lack the resources to deal with the deluge of "thinkers" so cr-p service is the result. Then consumers complain that CIGA are not helpful and so it goes on.

There are, no doubt, huge issues out there with CWI. But in the vast majority of cases it comes down to blatant lack of due diligence on the part of consumers. CIGA are then used as the scapegoat.

I am no fan of CIGA but equally any reasonable person has to feel sympathy for the situation CIGA are in.
  • stator
    Options
    fezster wrote: »
    Not sure which hole or crack you are going to cover up if your cavity has been bridged...

The crack or hole that is allowing water through the outer surface of your house. Having a bridged cavity won't matter if your roof/guttering/outer surface is well maintained.
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The crack or hole that is allowing water through the outer surface of your house. Having a bridged cavity won't matter if your roof/guttering/outer surface is well maintained.

I don't disagree with you in principle, but the reality is that there's often no obvious "hole" to fill, and the damp penetration of the outer skin of the cavity can be due to weather conditions and how exposed that external wall is to them. It's not always caused by an obvious hole which can simply be filled, or a leaking gutter which can simply be fixed.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2018 at 12:22PM
    Options
    surveyor told me , my house should never have been done as it was not suitable for cwi as cavity was too small and location of house, slso survey was not carried out correctly to see inside cavity,
    only test done was inserting boroscope to determine if there was a cavity
    i did request report ,but was told they were not allowed to give it as it had been paid for by installers
    Nice to save.
  • Furts
    Options
    Having a bridged cavity won't matter if your roof/guttering/outer surface is well maintained.

If only this were true the UK housing stock would be vastly better than it currently is!

Bridged cavities are bad news, and regardless of guttering, face brickwork is porous. Which means when it rains the inside face of brickwork can be running with water. If the cavity is bridged then this water can track to the inner leaf. Then one gets wet spots on this wall.
  • Furts
    Options
    surveyor told me , my house should never have been done as it was not suitable for cwi as cavity was too small and location of house, slso survey was not carried out correctly to see inside cavity,
    only test done was inserting boroscope to determine if there was a cavity
    i did request report ,but was told they were not allowed to give it as it had been paid for by installers

An every day story and CIGA will have heard it countless times. Off the record they would say "your house, your problem" and who can blame them.

Your house was not suitable, your cavity was too small .. so why did you get CWI installed? Then to make matters worse you never got a copy of any report. Did alarm bells not ring?

Instead you just went ahead. You did zero due diligence yet expect CIGA to compensate you for this. Perhaps now the penny is starting to drop?
  • stator
    Options
    surveyor told me , my house should never have been done as it was not suitable for cwi as cavity was too small and location of house,
    "Surveyor" with what qualifications?
    More likely a cold caller who gets paid for every referral to a no-win-no-fee solicitor.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    An every day story and CIGA will have heard it countless times. Off the record they would say "your house, your problem" and who can blame them.

Your house was not suitable, your cavity was too small .. so why did you get CWI installed? Then to make matters worse you never got a copy of any report. Did alarm bells not ring?

Instead you just went ahead. You did zero due diligence yet expect CIGA to compensate you for this. Perhaps now the penny is starting to drop?

i totally agree with you. if i knew then what i know now i would never have agreed to it.
    however, at the time the benefits of it were being promoted by energy companies and government grants etc, that i (as many other people) beleived it would be beneficial in keeping house warm and lower energy bills.

there was no mention of any pitfalls or disadvantages of it.
    admittedly, i should have researched thoroughly before agreeing the installment, but was carried away by all the promotional hype.

i am not looking for compensation, its not money i am interested in. i just want help to rectify the problem.

btw Furts, please do not mind me asking, i did read on one of the threads , that you have also been a victim of cwi.
    was your problem similar and how did you manage to get help from ciga
    Nice to save.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport