Options
rabialiones
rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
i know there are a few threads around this issue

need to pursue a claim but can anyone help as in who to contact first
ciga or no win no fee solicitor .

the latter seems an easier option

can anyone advise if they have had any success with either.
thanks

just checked installation company- gone into liquidation
Nice to save.

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    There was a thread within the last week where the a no win no fee solicitor would not take on a case involving CIGA. I suspect this is because CIGA are thought to not have much money. Also because CIGA are notorious for not giving speedy, genuine responses.

This means you would be approaching CIGA. I have done this, and I gained a settlement, of sorts.

Were CIGA competent in dealing with the claim? Here I would give them zero out of ten.

Did I expect anything different? Yes, because CIGA know how bad their reputation is, so I gave them the opportunity to show that this poor reputation was not always justified.

Should consumers pursue claims against CIGA? That opens up a can of worms, but I sense the mindset in CIGA is that consumers should not.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have been approached and surveyor has been and says i do have a case,
    he has asked me for all documents i.e. installers details ,dates ciga cert etc
    to assess and put case forward
    Nice to save.
  • Furts
    Options
    i have been approached and surveyor has been and says i do have a case,
    he has asked me for all documents i.e. installers details ,dates ciga cert etc
    to assess and put case forward

Being "approached" by a "surveyor" and being asked "for all documents" are warning signs of a scam.

You have asked for advice, I have given this advise based on good judgement.

Best of luck.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    thank you furts for your advice
    it is a no win no fee solicitor
    in what way could they scam me ,please advise

also if you know of any cases that have won/not won please post
    Nice to save.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you check the "surveyor"s qualifications?

It might not be a scam but they will probably just be case farms. They stick in the paper work and hope for a settlement which they take half of. The amount of work they do on your case will be near to nothing.

What is your problem with your insulation?
    If you have damp it's probably better just to fix wherever the water is getting in to your house than to complain about the insulation.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Furts
    Options
    thank you furts for your advice
    it is a no win no fee solicitor
    in what way could they scam me ,please advise

also if you know of any cases that have won/not won please post

"Surveyors" for that read scam artists, canvass innocent consumers trying to convince them they should not have decided to have CWI installed. These "surveyors" then find faults that the consumer was never aware of, and with sales spin suck them in.

Genuine claims to CIGA come from genuine people who raise genuine concerns. For this simple procedure there are no costs involved.

Anyone can win in a claim against CIGA, but do not think it is a "compo" game. CIGA have next to no money, so there is almost no compo available.

But legal sharks enter the stage thinking they can get rich by hijacking this system.
  • mark999888
    Options
    i had cavity wall insulation installed a couple of years ago and I now have mold and damp which Ive never had before. I feel I have grounds to make a claim, the company that installed the cwi are no longer in business and ive heard many negative reviews about CIGA yet I don't trust the reclaim companies that are swamping the internet.
    Not sure what to do
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just checked installation company- gone into liquidation
    mark999888 wrote: »
    the company that installed the cwi are no longer in business

Surely, you can't claim against a company that's in liquidation/not trading, can you??
  • rabialiones
    Options
    i am in same boat matey
    never had damp problems before, few years after cwi installed now have wet water marks on wall, cannot find cause, therefore i think its insulation not properly installed is cause of it
    Nice to save.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Surely, you can't claim against a company that's in liquidation/not trading, can you??

claim would be against ciga who guaranteed it
    Nice to save.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport