Options

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello All,

Advice needed please!

Used TCB whilst booking a series of hotel stays (Hotel.com).

Only one of the four visits registered on my account (funnily enough it was the cheapest one as well!!!)

I have tried to raise a ticket, however they have very unhelpfully said 'Can't do anything about it' as they are saying that they do not have the clicks registered, yet when I booked the hotel stays the pop up screen was displayed that stated that the visit had been registered.

Is there anything that I can do? I feel like I have been swindled out of about £40 cashback??

Thanks in advance

Maybe post in the "topcashback" thread , not here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4519857
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Keeping_Motivated
    Keeping_Motivated Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2018 at 3:37PM
    Options
    Hi

I have a large purchase to the value of over £2000 coming up and even though I have the cash to pay it I would like to maximize any possible cashback or bonus by initially paying by card.

We have an AMEX Gold card already (I am a named card holder not the main) and a Tesco credit card (again named cardholder) already.

What card do you think would be most beneficial to me? I have looked on the main site and the AMEX Everyday would give me 5% on the first £2000 spend (so £100 cashback) but as I am a named holder on the gold card would I be eligible for this offer?

Or maybe I could apply for the Gold Card in my name too as I am currently only a named on my husbands account?

Any suggestions/guidance appreciated

Thanks

*Edited to add* the company I am purchasing from don't accept AMEX so I need to find another card that benefits me on this purchase. Any suggestions?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A lot of places don't take AMEX because of the charges to the retailer.
    You might no be able to use it on your large purchase so I'd check first.

It does depend on where you live/shop but we live in central london and most restaurants we go to don't take it.
  • Keeping_Motivated
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    A lot of places don't take AMEX because of the charges to the retailer.
    You might no be able to use it on your large purchase so I'd check first.

It does depend on where you live/shop but we live in central london and most restaurants we go to don't take it.

I've just checked and they dont accept AMEX so thank you for prompting me to check.

So back to the drawing board and looking at what card to pay with for maximum benefit.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Used TCB whilst booking a series of hotel stays (Hotel.com).

Only one of the four visits registered on my account (funnily enough it was the cheapest one as well!!!)
    Did you click through TCB before each booking, clearing cookies each time?
    I've just checked and they dont accept AMEX so thank you for prompting me to check.

So back to the drawing board and looking at what card to pay with for maximum benefit.
    The best you can get is 0.5% in vouchers - Amazon, Asda or John Lewis. Each give a £10 bonus for applying (Asda through Quidco / TopCashback).

A better option might be to get a 0% purchases card and keep the cash in an interest-paying account?
  • Sorry about that Browntoa. I don't post often. Easy to get confused!
    MFiT-T2 #102
    [STRIKE]Sept 2010 = Mortgage only @ £86,000[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Dec 2010 = Mortgage only @ £84,500[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Jun 2011 = Mortgage only @ £79,000[/STRIKE]
    Mortgage free June 2015!!!!!! :j:j
  • Former_MSE_Karl
    Options
    Hi folks,

Tandem Bank have launched a new cashback credit card - paying 0.5%.

You can read our write-up of the product in our Cashback Credit Cards guide.
  • Bunfoo
    Options
    Hey folks - apologies if this is the wrong thread (first post on these forums).

I!!!8217;m trying to find a credit card that gives rewards AND 0% charges for purchases abroad. I travel a lot for work but have a big holiday coming up and want to maximise the rewards from it (without being charged 3% per transaction).

I!!!8217;ve been searching but I don!!!8217;t think it exists.
  • ericthelobster
    Options
    Bunfoo wrote: »
    I've been searching but I don't think it exists.
    Nor do I, or I'd have one myself!
    Personally I use a 'reward' card for all UK purchases, and have a second card for use exclusively overseas - it's always worked well for me. My UK card stays in my wallet abroad as a backup.

By the way - your apostrophes seem very poorly!
  • Bunfoo
    Options
    By the way - your apostrophes seem very poorly!

Yeah... not sure what happened there. Thanks for the feedback! I would do the same, but have a 0% Tesco credit card already. No point getting rid of that for a few months yet. Will look for a standard travel card in the meantime!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure