Swindon or Colchester?

Options

Comments

• neneromanova
    Options
    Not for the kind of house we're looking for. Swindon might be a little bit cheaper, but not by huge amounts.
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am very happy in Colchester. I have lived here for 30 years. I am not local, I originally come from London.

It's commutable to London with easy access to the City and Canary Wharf.

Has some nice streets in the town centre with small individual shops as well as a High St with the usual suspects.

There is the Castle in the town with large gardens and a boating lake. There are a couple of museums and a new arts centre. There is a country park at Highwoods in the north of the town plus the surrounding countryside and seaside.

But what I like may not be what you like or other people like. I've not been in Swindon, only driven around it, so can't compare. Housing does seem cheaper so you would most probably get more for your money there.

If you do get to the stage of looking at houses post up if you like and I will give what info I know on the area.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yeah, OH's aunt and uncle say they have 7000 houses being built on the east of Swindon.

OH works for himself (and my dad) and can work at home so no need to worry about commuting.

I've heard that there is a massive rise in crime in/near Colchester. Is this true?

I quite like the idea of Colchester being near the sea, close to ports to go on holiday to Europe. But Swindon does have an Ice Rink (would like to go to hockey matches and do some skating with the kids)

I looked at prices to go to London from Both this Saturday. Colchester came out at £60 for 5 of us, Swindon was £170!! So Expensive!

To be fair there are new development builds going up in Colchester too. (particularly the north part) I love doing the walk from Colchester stadium area to ASDA to get the steps in, I find it so peaceful and lovely but know that's times a coming and there will be a lot more new houses going up which maybe to your advantage - I also think there are plans for a state of the art cinema complex thingy in this area too so you might want to look into this.

There is an ice rink (roller world) that's in Colchester that I remember as a teen from the one and only time I tried to skate!! and not to far you have the 'birthplace of radio' city of Chelmsford which also hosts an ice rink (which can be seen on a certain Ice programme when they are in training that has recently started again I do believe, I could be wrong but the ad's on the rink looked far to familiar!)

Once had an Interviewer (from Clacton way) who made it sound like getting their first home in no where else but Colchester was going to be a mission! So totally see it could be an upcoming enviable place to live.

Don't know about crime so much - wouldn't have said it's worse then anywhere else.
  • neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the "rough" areas that I need to Avoid? I know in Swindon you stay away from any of the P's as that's the worst places to live.

I saw a lovely house yesterday on rightmove in All Saints Avenue, but that sold today :(
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There is an ice rink (roller world) that's in Colchester
    No, it's a roller skating rink (there's a clue in the name :D ), there's no ice ( unless you count the dry ice in the laser tag, but you can't skate on that!)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, haven't read your previous thread but I'm surprised that things like zoos and skating would be a priority when choosing somewhere to live.

I'd put finding work as a priority and that would include prospects for youngsters in the future. Then affordability of houses in catchment areas for good schools. Unless you need to get to London regularly then the cost isn't a major consideration. It's good to have friends and family around but not essential unless you plan to ask them to help with childcare.

I'm sure most people who don't live in their home town have moved for work or affordable housing. I'd be amazed if anyone moved to live near a zoo or a shopping centre.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January 2018 at 9:00PM
    Options
    It's what the OP wants to know that is relevant, they asked for information on "Schooling, Shopping, Leisure etc."

OP

Areas I would avoid are Greenstead, small parts of Highwoods (most is fine), some areas off Berechurch Rd / Kohina Ave (the old army housing)

The house you liked in All Saints Rd is in the catchment area of a very popular school, Philip Morant, hence why it will be snapped up quickly.

There are one or two other roads that are not great but using google streetmap will flag up the obvious run down, rough looking places.
  • neneromanova
    Options
    We’re lucky that OH works from home so doesn’t need to worry about looking for work.

I’m looking at things to do with kids that you don’t have to travel hours to get to.
  • neneromanova
    Options
    And the reason we’re moving out of Devon, is for prospects for the kids. There’s nothing down here for the kids job wise, so we’re moving now before DD1 goes to secondary school.
  • Robinette
    Options
    What are the "rough" areas that I need to Avoid? I know in Swindon you stay away from any of the P's as that's the worst places to live.

I saw a lovely house yesterday on rightmove in All Saints Avenue, but that sold today :(

Yes, avoid all the 'Ps' - except Peatmoor, which has some very nice parts.

Also avoid Walcot, although confusingly Old Walcot (also known as Walcot West) is a desirable area. I have a lovely four-bed semi for sale there. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure