Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    ladybabe wrote: »
    not sure if its just my aldi branch but in freezer section frozen sardines with lemon and herb butter (you get about 4-5 ish per pack) was £1.99 now at £0.99 great for a quick meal

I just came on here to mention these! It's not just your branch. They really are amazng value, and come in their own foil tray too. They taste great. They are gutted, and the heads, tails and bones remove easily after cooking.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Went to Aldi yesterday to pick up a few things. Kir Royale flavoured crisps? Love the drink, but those crisps sound disgusting.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Went to Aldi yesterday to pick up a few things. Kir Royale flavoured crisps? Love the drink, but those crisps sound disgusting.
    Based on my experience of Aldi's G&T crips last year, best avoided.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    Lidl nappies... not a patch on Aldis and the same for baby wipes. Shant be buying them again.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite

Have you tried them?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good to see lidls cola do so well on the taste test on tv last night. I love it and at 49p for 2 litres, a bargain
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Disappointed to see in this month's sales brochure for Aldi they've got Richmond "sausages" listed in the specials. Yuk!
  • System
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Disappointed to see in this month's sales brochure for Aldi they've got Richmond "sausages" listed in the specials. Yuk!

I have no idea why people rave about these and buy them when on offer! They have the lowest amount of meat content to be classed as a pork sausage - 42%. So means 58% is rubbish.

Using Aldi's SS Traditional Pork Sausages - £1.89 for 400g (£4.73 per kg). I cannot see from the front of the pack how much meat content is in them. Using 90% as an easy example. So 360g is meat. That is £5.25 per kg of meat.

Richmond sausages - 908g for £1.99 (£2.19 per kg) - 42% meat, £5.22 kg of meat.

Though 2.16 times more expensive per kg the SS sausages meat kg is only over 0.5% more.

Sometimes Richmond sausages are more expensive per meat kg than the premium sausages!!!.

Similar applies to burgers as well.

Quality over quantity any day.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    The XXL pasta looks good though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 January 2018 at 1:59PM
    So means 58% is rubbish.
    Technically cereals.
    Using Aldi's SS Traditional Pork Sausages - £1.89 for 400g (£4.73 per kg). I cannot see from the front of the pack how much meat content is in them. Using 90% as an easy example. So 360g is meat. That is £5.25 per kg of meat.

Richmond sausages - 908g for £1.99 (£2.19 per kg) - 42% meat, £5.22 kg of meat.

Though 2.16 times more expensive per kg the SS sausages meat kg is only over 0.5% more.

Sometimes Richmond sausages are more expensive per meat kg than the premium sausages!!!.

Similar applies to burgers as well.

Quality over quantity any day.

I do enjoy a bit of maths on the forum, but the 908g of Richmond sausages is 16 Sausages (56g), whereas the Aldi (which I've had and are very nice) are only 6 Sausages (66g).

I can imagine that for a lot of people, 16 Sausages is going to win over 6 Sausages based solely on quantity.

It would be nice if Richmond sausages had as much venison in them as Richmond Park, but it cannot be. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure