What happens to my email accts if i switch provider?

Hi everyone,

So after years of sticking with TalkTalk i've finaly decided that it's time to leave them for a new provider.
My only real question is what happens to the email accounts i have with them (me, the better half, and one of my children) I have looked on their site, out in the interweb, and on a few forums and not really found anything that 100% answers my question.
If anyone out there has switched and could let me know i'd be grateful of the info.

Thanks, and have a brew on me :beer: :D

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Essentially some time in the future you lose them .Usually the ISP deletes old email accounts in blocks . Can be weeks or years .
    So while your emails are active you move to a non ISP email server GMail etc .
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Depends on the previous provider. I can still use my Sky email address 3 years after leaving them. Someone I knew who left another provider (might have been TalkTalk) could read emails but not send from the account.
  • What you can't do I believe with TalkTalk email accounts is change the password once you've left so if you're worried you've been hacked or you've just plain forgotten it then you're snookered.

Start moving everyone over to Gmail accounts now while you can.
  • Don't use ISP provided email services.
    Ever.

Use outlook.com or get your own domain and mail server.

I can't recommend Gmail at all
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    !!! wrote: »
    Don't use ISP provided email services.
    Ever.

Millions do! (Is Google ISP available in UK?)
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    I wouldn't use an ISP provided email services either to avoid the problems when changing providers.

That said it must be at least 10 years since I left TalkTalk and I'm still using their email address for rubbish (when I need to provide an address) though haven't tried changing my password.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    !!! wrote: »
    Don't use ISP provided email services.
    Ever.

Get a Gmail

I can't recommend hotmail/live/outlook at all
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    Legacy accounts may hang around after you leave them if you've been with the provider for a while.

Plusnet deletes your email inboxes when you leave them. BT probably will by default, though I understand you can continue to pay for access to them. TalkTalk I can't say as when I moved to them I never set one up. Sky may keep your email address active after you leave their broadband/internet, though this may be dependent on whether you keep their other services (ie TV).
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 January 2018 at 2:23PM
    With BT you pay £5 a month each for whatever email addresses you keep with them.

Bit of a rip off, but gives you time to move them.

(Edited)
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2018 at 11:02AM
    I still have two onetel.com e mail addresses that still work despite ending our dealings with them in 2007 (?)

A quick look on wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One.Tel
    says
    However, on 19 December 2005 The Carphone Warehouse announced it was buying the company to merge its customers with its TalkTalk telecommunications offering.[11][12] The One.Tel UK business was retained as a separate operating company, and not merged into the main TalkTalk Group business. In late 2007 the One.Tel name was abolished for new customer acquisition in favour of the TalkTalk brand, though the brand existed (in 2014) for existing customers as 'onetel'.[13]

EDIT
    Just remembered that we have three ontel email accounts.
    I just logged in on their mailzone and sent a message from the forgotten third account to one of the others and ... it arrived!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure