Windows 10 Creators Update

Comments

• Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    I cant even comment about W10 without my blood pressure rising. I could write a book on how awful it is lol
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What does the update actually provide? Do I even want/need it?

'Creators'? What if I don't want to create anything?
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not so much the extra features, but the security patches that matter in Windows CU.

There are a few exploits that ransomware and malware racketeers were exploiting such as "EternalBlue " that are addressed in the new update.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    You should know by now that MS releases a WHOLE NEW OS twice a year. Get used to it.
    Well, thanks, I know now, but they should publicise this more.
    RumRat wrote: »
    Warning may be too late, it's been out for ages.
    Microsoft did let me choose a time to update.
    The update didn't take long to download and install.
    They can't tell you how long the update needs, because a lot depends on your BB connection and your machine etc. etc.
    They could still warn users it's a big one,
    so that people who know their updates take longer are forewarned to set the time aside.

Doing updates on battery alone isn't advisable. I'm surprised your Laptop lasted all day without giving up. Are you sure it didn't sleep or anything while you were away?
    Yep, positive. I wasn't expecting it to take that long to finish, so, although I agree it's not ideal, I thought it was preferable to leaving it running all day while I was out.
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I still think the way these updates trap the unwary is going to lead to people seriously considering Linux though. I know some retirees (just like me) who have become "kewl kids" (post above) and have no regrets.
    Just can't face having to learn a new o/s.
    Hated it when I had to use a Mac at work - could do what I needed to do, but never felt at home with its o/s.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MS publicised it quite well. I guess it would depend on what/where you read for your tech news. The mainstream press only tend to report on bad news regarding tech.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I got this update last night - it appears that it is no longer possible to run IE11 once this update has happened - so I can no longer use some internet banking facilities.

I (used to) use First Direct's Internet Banking Plus which appears to only run on IE7 or above.

Is there any way I can get this to work on W10 or do I need to find another bank account aggregation tool that doesn't need !E?
    Not even wrong
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    In the Windows 10 taskbar search, type Internet Explorer and you will see it appear in the results.

Clicking on it will open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hans_2 wrote: »
    In the Windows 10 taskbar search, type Internet Explorer and you will see it appear in the results.

^^^^This.

Plus once you've searched for it, you can right-click and add it to your Taskbar to find it more easily in future.
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    hans_2 wrote: »

Thanks! Wasn't fully awake when I first tried. Got it now :beer:
    Not even wrong
  • fenlander_uk
    fenlander_uk Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 July 2017 at 11:35AM
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I still think the way these updates trap the unwary is going to lead to people seriously considering Linux though. I know some retirees (just like me) who have become "kewl kids" (post above) and have no regrets.

I'm one more retired KK who saw the light and upgraded to Linux. Seriously, at my age I don't have time to waste on Windows updates. I do have W10 CU (using the PC's original Windows licence) in a virtual machine for the sole purpose of running Photoshop Elements, but that installed in minutes from a downloaded image. When the autumn CU comes along, I'll just repeat the process.

If you value your time and can't afford to have Windows quit on you to play with itself whenever it feels like it, you should know that linux upgrades generally take about 2 minutes and wait politely for you to do them at a time you choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure