Advice .. new iPad

Options

Comments

• harvey1964
    harvey1964 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    So which is the one that was released in march there please ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    harvey1964 wrote: »
    So which is the one that was released in march there please ?

The normal iPad at £339.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apple are doing a part ex offer on your old iPad at the moment, just find your nearest dealer. I bought a Refurbished Cellular iPad 4 from Tesco for about £260 a few weeks ago, you wouldn't know it was anything but brand new. Still have my iPad 3 but wanted larger memory and faster processor plus cellular.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    If you're looking at refurbs etc. I'd not bother with anything before an iPad Air II. That should ensure you'll get the iOS 11 and 12 updates over the next few years
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Do you want a new iPad, or think you need one because the old one is a bit slow?
    My 2012 iPad mini runs slow every now and again so I plug it into iTunes, do a full restore and it's fine again. iOS11 and the issue of apps updating may mean it will eventually need replacing.

good luck on not changing it for many years, I doubt any tablet, especially one out of Apple, will remain fully up to date and problem free for many years... They've proved this with iOS11 meaning anyone with an iPad over 4 years old wont be able to update apps or software...
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had my iPad 3 for about 5 years and just make sure I don't have too many apps and also store my photo's elsewhere. Clearing the history and removing open apps also helps keep the speed up. Can't say I've noticed much difference with iOS 10 on my iPad 4 over 9.35 so not too bothered about the planned 64 bit iOS 11.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Another victim of Apple bloatware caused by sloppy programming IMO.

I would seriously look at Android platform, basically it is going to be about the Apps you use, if they are available on Google then you could save a lot.

No it will not be an iPad but it might meet your needs and have better bang for your bucks.

It is only by voting with your feet that Apple will get the message that their code needs to last as long as the machine.

I know the Apply sycophants will all pile in at me for this comment but truth always hurts.

Hear we go time to label people :rotfl:

SO we have "Apple Fanboys" and now "Apply Sycophants" i bet you have a list a mile long :T

#sarcasm
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    harvey1964 wrote: »
    I have my existing iPad since 2012 , think its second generation . It's wifi only , which was fine for me as I had my iPhone . Lately it's really slow and I was thinking of biting the billet and getting a new one . I saw a ipad 4....9.7 screen with 32gb... is this a recent model .not keen on the smaller iPad Air.
    Not good with all this technical stuff ( in my fifties ) but I love my iPad .. what do you think.. hoping to spend around £400...
    iPads go extremely slow when their memory fills up. Maybe that is your problem?
    Check how much free space you have.
    If it is full of images and videos (particularly videos), just back them up somewhere in and via the cloud to another device, delete them from the iPad and then you could get your performance back.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• atw_uss
    atw_uss Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If an iPad is what you prefer, the ipad 2017 will be great and last many years. Consider whether 32GB will be enough storage though, as app sizes are getting bigger. It's just a shame that 128GB is the next one up and is a big hike in terms of capacity and price. I just got rid of my iPad 3 where I was getting close to the 32GB storage limit with lots of photos on it (but little music and just a couple of films), so 32GB may still be fine. John Lewis do a longer warranty for free or Apple do a small educational discount if you are eligible. Great bit of kit though and you'll love the retina screen :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    As I said

I was not referring to any particular person...

The y was a typo, sycophants is not really that derogatory

I did not use the term Fanboy, you did, so checked it on Wikipedia

kS9YWbZ.png

I guess If the shoe fits...

You have used the term fanboy in other posts on the forum and also stated you "hate apple too"

I have no problem with people recommending different hardware or software to others and its great we have choice in the world to try different things. But I will question that advice when it comes across as a personal dislike for that company and labelling people.

There is always a risk of hardware and software running slow as devices get older and the software gets newer and the OP could be faced with the same issues so I would caution them on getting a tablet with different hardware and software specs based solely on that one issue.

If the OP is looking to save money and is willing to try a different software platform and hardware then I would recommend they create a new post asking for advice on what the best tablet could be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure