Talkmobile PAYG closing down

Options

Comments

• ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May 2017 at 5:27PM
    Options
    I've just got the text from them. My problem is that the Vodafone network is the only one that works in both my house and my partners. So I'll have to find a new mvno or else put up with no signal for half the week.

I'm not going with Vodafone directly. I'm well aware of their lousy customer service.

ETA: I've just looked at Lebara. It seems a text costs 19p!! Unless it's to another lebara phone.
  • BillTee
    BillTee Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway, it does appear now that there's no longer a charge for NUC code. Used to be for PAYM users only.

Think the free SIM is for a rolling monthly bundle offer. You can opt out but then existing credits expire after 30 days. If we get a month free that should do the trick if one takes them at their word(?!)
  • Patrick_Stewart
    Options
    I was with Talkmobile but switched to 1pMobile recently and so far all very good. And they are cheaper too at 1p a minute etc
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sadly 1pmobile use the EE network, which is very poor where I live.

The only network with decent coverage around here is the Vodafone one.

I'm looking at Lebara as they appear to be the only MVNO left on the Vodafone network.
  • SpanishBlue
    SpanishBlue Posts: 593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I was with Talkmobile but switched to 1pMobile recently and so far all very good. And they are cheaper too at 1p a minute etc

Unfortunately, they are no good for very light users as you have to top up with £10 every 120 days - that's 30 quid a year.:(
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    check this out
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators[
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone worked out whether the £10 credit needs to be used on a bundle? I thought it was pure £10 credit from reading the website, but the text implies it is a bundle.

Also, does any remaining talkmobile credit get carried over to vodafone? If it doesn't, and the £10 is not long-lasting credit, then I think that is grounds for complaint.
  • Mister_K
    Options
    I only use my phone infrequently and stand to lose credit that would potentially give me over 75 hours call time with no credit expiry. They are offering me a switch to Vodafone with a free top up of £10 which at their excessive call rates gives me a little over 30 minutes, Furthermore even that appears to be lost if not used within a month. Absolutely outrageous and nothing short of theft in my view.
  • withywood
    withywood Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    I too did not get a text and only found out when I went to giffgaff forum as I have two phones - moved my talkmobile number to o2
    :j if my house aint clean enough for you tough
  • whitehouseknight
    Options
    A word in praise of Talkmobile, I am a very occasional user but need a phone for two stage security etc. I have topped up £20 in two years and still have £5 credit! No wonder that they have dropped the service but is there anyone else with PAYG (no data needed) where top ups do not expire?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure