Talkmobile PAYG closing down

d123
d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Talkmobile are closing down the PAYG side of the business wef 31/08.
The Talkmobile Pay As You Go service will be closing down and will be unavailable to use from the 31st August.

Important dates

You won’t be able to top-up from the 30th June so please make sure you have enough credit to last until you start with your new provider.

All credit needs to be used by 31st August.

There will be no service, including calls to the emergency services from the 31st August.

If you like your current network experience and want all the benefits of 4G and data rollover, Vodafone are offering Talkmobile customers their first top up completely free. They're also giving away a free gift of two Costa coffee e-vouchers to anyone still topping up in three months. To claim this exclusive offer, please follow the instructions below:

Go to https://www.freesim.vodafone.co.uk/talkmobile and enter your unique voucher code which has been sent to you via SMS. If you have misplaced your code or don’t think you’ve received it, please call 0333 304 8064 or 5888 from your Talkmobile handset.

Follow the instructions on the Vodafone page to order your new SIM. It will come pre-loaded with your free top up and ready for you to start using. If you’d prefer to order your SIM over the phone, please contact us on the above contact number and an agent will be happy to help you.
Should you wish to move to a provider other than Vodafone you will need to use all your remaining credit and top-up vouchers by 31st August.

https://talkmobile.co.uk/payg/closure
====

Comments

• Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ......and no doubt Talkmobile contract customers will be transferred seamlessly to Vodafone systems and their unrivalled customer service!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Apart from Voda themselves any other options using Voda network? I have had a quick browse seems only one PAYG around, Lebara mobile any other options for a cheapo Voda locked phone user?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • mr_mf
    mr_mf Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Google 'petef payg tariffs' for a good comparison site - sorry can't post the link apparently as I am a new user!

Mike
  • bubieyehyeh
    bubieyehyeh Posts: 587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mr_mf wrote: »
    Google 'petef payg tariffs' for a good comparison site - sorry can't post the link apparently as I am a new user!

Mike

I assume you mean this one....https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/
  • mr_mf
    Yes - thanks!
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Very interesting site with lots of useful information. It does suffer, though, from not always being up-to-date.

For example, Togglemobile calls to UK landlines and mobiles are shown as 7p and 7p per minute, last checked in January 2017. Checking at https://www.togglemobile.com shows that they are back to 3p and 3p.

I would love a similar comparison site for roaming but guess the logistics would be impossible.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When did the SMS messages get sent out about this? I keep my phone in a drawer for occasional long calls - I did switch it on last week, but got no SMS. Not sure when they were sent out and how long they are kept by the vodafone messaging centre before being discarded, for phones that are not on all the time.
  • mr_mf
    My family have three phones, all in use, and no texts have been received here - I'm not sure there has been a formal announcement to customers yet! I think people here worked it out by digging around the now sparse web site, and following twitter.
  • BillTee
    BillTee Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Look pretty sparse for Vodafone locked - Lebara appears to be only practical one (truphone is international business). Guess Vfone don't like competition - their PAYG rates are outrageous.

I also haven't received a text; only chanced upon news when searching Talk Mobile site for something else. Yet another change required with lost credits - Grrr!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 May 2017 at 3:42PM
    BillTee wrote: »
    I also haven't received a text; only chanced upon news when searching Talk Mobile site for something else. Yet another change required with lost credits - Grrr!

The voda offer SIM does come loaded with a "free" first top up, but does not say how much this is, can but hope it is a fiver or more given their exorbitant call rates

PS, also free unlock from Voda after 30 days use, so it says, wait and see. If this is true could be a bit of faffing but finish up with phone unlocked in the end
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure