Sky price increases

Options
Our home broadband was originally with O2 until Sky bought them out. We were paying £5.50 to O2 and that stayed the same when it was transferred to Sky.

However at some point last year the price was increased to £15.50 , we were never notified of this price increase and i couldnt check it since it was not being paid from my account. Since then the price increased to £17.50 which we were notified of. I only found out about the price after calling Sky telling them we were gonna change services.

Can i claim any of the money back from the period the price had increased to £15.50 since they done so without notifying us? Is it a simple process, if i prove we were never notified?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How exactly do you prove that you were never contacted though?

If you had a different email account back then (O2?) then they would have sent notice to that one.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    H_C wrote: »
    Can i claim any of the money back from the period the price had increased to £15.50 since they done so without notifying us?
    Why didn't you complain about this price increase as soon as it was debited from your bank account?
    Sounds like you simply don't check your statements or your post...

You won't be getting any money refunded, I'm afraid, the provider will have a record of having informed you of this increase. As long as it was correctly addressed, it is deemed delivered two days later.
  • H_C
    H_C Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is only one email on the account, i checked and we had been notified of the price increase from £15.50 to £17.50 but never the £7.50 to £15.

(I just checked and those are the correct prices above , will check to see if i can change oc.
  • H_C
    Options
    Why didn't you complain about this price increase as soon as it was debited from your bank account?
    Sounds like you simply don't check your statements or your post...

You won't be getting any money refunded, I'm afraid, the provider will have a record of having informed you of this increase. As long as it was correctly addressed, it is deemed delivered two days later.

I couldnt have checked it, as its under my parents account and email. I only found out after calling up to try and change services. We never received any letter or email with regards to the first price increase. I have contacted them and they said they will get a manger to look into and they would send us emails , but we have received nothing from them and its been a fair few weeks. Its almost as if they are trying to ignore it.

Yes if i had known of the price change i would have called straight away but since they changed it without telling us how would i have known. Its £17.50 for just broadband (~15mbs) thats the same price for broadband and telephone line elsewhere.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    I couldnt have checked it, as its under my parents account and email. I only found out after calling up to try and change services. We never received any letter or email with regards to the first price increase. I have contacted them and they said they will get a manger to look into and they would send us emails , but we have received nothing from them and its been a fair few weeks. Its almost as if they are trying to ignore it.

Yes if i had known of the price change i would have called straight away but since they changed it without telling us how would i have known. Its £17.50 for just broadband (~15mbs) thats the same price for broadband and telephone line elsewhere.

Your parents didn't notice the price increase? Is this your parents account?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I couldnt have checked it, as its under my parents account and email.
    Your parents don't check outgoings either?

You won't be getting any refund based on what you have said.
  • H_C
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Your parents didn't notice the price increase? Is this your parents account?

The broadband is under my parents account and so is the bank account in which it is paid for...
    Your parents don't check outgoings either?

You won't be getting any refund based on what you have said.

Of course they check, but based on what you're saying they are simply allowed to rapidly increase prices without notifying first and it's all fine....

"Based on what you have said" what am I meant to have said to be able to claim the refund...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Based on what you have said" what am I meant to have said to be able to claim the refund...
    You don't get a refund of a price increase simply because you claim you weren't informed.

You wouldn't get a refund if you had the letter or E-Mail either.

All your thread reveals is the importance of checking statements every month.
  • makemesumdosh
    Options
    Why are you paying anything for broadband, had o2 then sky broadband and always paid Sky £0.00 since day 1.only pay for line rental and anytime calls.
    Call then threaten to leave, ask to be put through to cancelations. do your homework and tell then of what you can get elsewhere.
    Don't forget if you do change supplier go through Topcashback or Quidco
  • H_C
    Options
    You don't get a refund of a price increase simply because you claim you weren't informed.

You wouldn't get a refund if you had the letter or E-Mail either.

All your thread reveals is the importance of checking statements every month.

Just contacted them and the initial price increase was because we didn't have Sky TV and Sky phone.... they charged us because we didn't have something...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure