Urgent info required about Plusnet via MSE and data

Options
robin58
robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
I require some info about Plusnet mobile sim and services. I have till end of Wednesday to cancel the contact without a 30 day cancellation period.

Well I put the sim in a Samsung s2 and it connected to the network.

Put it also in a T mobile Rapport. Would not connect to the service. So I paid to get it unlocked and will now accept the Plusnet.

Well I have not been able to access the data service on either phone.

So I gave the helpline a call and after listening to thier awful muzak, was told they would be sending out a new sim because they think the on I have is duff. . Will not get this until Thursday.

The questions I have is, has anyone else had this above problem.

Sencond I have informed that the tethering option which MSE wrote in their details of offer is not allowed. Or more precisely and I quote 'it's not really alllowed but you sometimes can connect others time you will not be unable to'. My retort to that was you either allow tethering or you don't. Could not get a straight answer.

So has anybody tethered another mobile phone to a phone with a Plusnet sim in it.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Virgin before my 30 day notice expires. I know I can tether with them.
The more I live, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I grow.
The more I grow, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I know.
The more I know, the more I see,
How little I know.!! ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's been the odd one with data problems initially but they usually get sorted quickly, you can tether.

I'd use https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/bd-p/Mobile and ask on there as the staff seem better informed than some of the phone based (new) agents.
  • robin58
    edited 14 March 2017 at 11:49PM
    Options
    There's been the odd one with data problems initially but they usually get sorted quickly, you can tether.

I'd use https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/bd-p/Mobile and ask on there as the staff seem better informed than some of the phone based (new) agents.

Thanks Colin_maybe, did not realise their was a community page.

Had look and it seems to have been a bit of an issue evidently. Will have a bash at some of the ideas there.

If they don't work then it's either close the account at no cost to me or just waiting for the new sim outside my 14 days and hope it works.

According to the community board they knew of the issue and it should work with a newly issue sim

If I stay and on Thursday it still won't work, I will ring them up, give them a piece of my mind and demand a full refund without a 30 day period. :angry:

Thanks Colin_maybe for the pointer. :T

Ps. the ironic thing is I have posted this message via my S2 tethered to a newly unlocked t mobile phone (the phone i wanted the plusnet sim for ) with a 3 sim in it. :o
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They will be 4G sims if that makers a difference to old devices
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Thanks Colin_maybe, did not realise their was a community page.

Had look and it seems to have been a bit of an issue evidently. Will have a bash at some of the ideas there.

If they don't work then it's either close the account at no cost to me or just waiting for the new sim outside my 14 days and hope it works.

According to the community board they knew of the issue and it should work with a newly issue sim

If I stay and on Thursday it still won't work, I will ring them up, give them a piece of my mind and demand a full refund without a 30 day period. :angry:

Thanks Colin_maybe for the pointer. :T

Ps. the ironic thing is I have posted this message via my S2 tethered to a newly unlocked t mobile phone (the phone i wanted the plusnet sim for ) with a 3 sim in it. :o
    As I said there's only been a small handful who've had problems, they're the ones who post (rightly so) to get it sorted. There will be 10,000's (?) who have had no issue at all and so don't post.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    It might be the phone settings. On my iPhone SE a 3 SIM "just works", on Vodafone you have to mess around with the data settings, on the PAYG SIM I tried it needed "wap" setting! That's 2G technology from the last century...

Maybe Plusnet needs something similar before data will work?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    on Vodafone you have to mess around with the data settings, on the PAYG SIM I tried it needed "wap" setting! That's 2G technology from the last century...

To clarify, you aren't actually using wap settings, it's just Vodafone being their usual weird selves and it's the name they've given to the payg data settings.
    ====
  • robin58
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    They will be 4G sims if that makers a difference to old devices

Actually they are not just 4g. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to moan at Plusnet on a 2g/3g phone which is about 6 years old with thier sim in it!

I think you are getting confused with thier publicity. Most phone companies push the 4g side of thier networks as they want to lure the people in who now have 4g phones. In the majority of the young 3g is old hat.

I have a new sim with Vigin that is promoted as 4g but will connect to 2g & 3g ok.

I have noted with 3 being an exception all sims will allow connection to 2g, 3g and 4g. Otherwise you could be stuck in an area without 4g as they are still rolling it out in some areas.

As for my enquiry yesterday I will wait for the new sim they are sending, try it and if it doesn't work, demand my account be closed immediately without the 30 day notice. Plus my monies refunded as it was an issue they knew about but did not inform
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:45PM
    Options
    As I said there's only been a small handful who've had problems, they're the ones who post (rightly so) to get it sorted. There will be 10,000's (?) who have had no issue at all and so don't post.

As usual with my luck , I am not one of the lucky ones!.

Noted that my sim is one of the 'orange' ones that seem to be the problem. Tried some of the ideas on that forum you posted. Still no joy. But at least I have learned alot about APN's.

Will wait until tomorrow to test the new sim and if that won't work I Will do what we call in our family a 'Number 6' on them. (Tv Prisoner reference, where he walks up and down, rants at his boss then thumps the table.)

I really only wanted the Plusnet deal because it's better than the Virgin one I am on now, plus plusnet allow tethering regardless on what is said by their help desk.

What ever way it goes, I will put in a official complaint in once I have found out the compensation they have said they will offer officially on thier community board.

Just makes me laugh. Have had mobiles for over 17 years all with sims in them, no problems. Go for this deal, problems. It's not as if sims and thier software are cutting edge stuff .
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • oldharryrocks
    oldharryrocks Posts: 533 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:50PM
    Options
    Plusnet have always said it can't guarantee tethering will (or will always) work for every type of handset or with every local network configuration, at all times.

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/mobile-price-guide/

Can i use my plusnet mobile for tethering ?

"Tethering is when you use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and use it to connect other devices to the internet. You'll need to check with your handset's manufacturer to see if you can do that on your phone.
    Remember, the data you use while tethering will count towards your data allowance. And if you use all your allowance you'll need to pay for the extra amount you've used on top of your usual plan"

See also : https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Tethering/td-p/1406005

"Good morning!

While we've set-up our network services to allow tethering in almost all cases, we can't currently offer technical support or further information for that connection facility.

We can't guarantee tethering will (or will always) work for every type of handset or with every local network configuration, at all times, and we won't be able to offer specific guidance with tethering questions. If the connections aren't running smoothly for you, you may wish to look into third-party information and advice.

I hope that's clarifying, and don't hesitate to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with! "
  • robin58
    Options
    https://www.plus.net/help/legal/mobile-price-guide/

Can i use my plusnet mobile for tethering ?

"Tethering is when you use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and use it to connect other devices to the internet. You'll need to check with your handset's manufacturer to see if you can do that on your phone.
    Remember, the data you use while tethering will count towards your data allowance. And if you use all your allowance you'll need to pay for the extra amount you've used on top of your usual plan"

Just don't ask thier help desk, they don't know thier butt from thier elbow at the present. Major retraining required I think .
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income