Money Moral Dilemma: Is it cheeky to ask to 'rent' my neighbour's Wi-Fi?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I've just moved into a new place and it'll be a month before my broadband's up and running. Would it seem imposing to offer to pay my neighbour for the use of their Wi-Fi in the meantime?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    I was in this situation in reverse.

A neighbour asked if he and his wife could access my wifi for a couple of weeks. Not a problem for me and he power washed my drive and his wife gave me enough cake for a week.

No harm in asking.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It wouldn't be the first thing I'd say after introducing myself - not a good way to start off good neighbour relationships! However, it's not a bad idea- you just need to be tactful, so they don't feel like you're trying to take advantage of them. It really depends if they're older and they might have capped usage, it's not fair to take it - even if paying, if you'll be a heavy user. Also, I don't know what security risks you'd be opening yourself up to. Would it be easier to get a dongle for a month, or use BT Wifi?
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2016 at 11:56PM
    Options
    I wouldn't ask to rent a neighbours Wifi, even if offered it for free. Nor would I offer to or allow a neighbour to use my Wifi...whatever they wanted to pay.

Just don't trust these things - the potential for stuff to go wrong, whatever security measures are in place.

I wouldn't want to end up being falsely arrested to downloading dodgy material etc etc just because I trusted a neighbour....

But that's just me...a bit of a cynic at the best of times
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't want to end up being falsely arrested to downloading dodgy material etc etc just because I trusted a neighbour.

Has that ever happened to someone?

I used to share my internet with a neighbour, got a few of pints a week for it.

Then he moved and I had to buy my own drink.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    About the only problem I can see is if such sharing was prohibited by the Terms and Conditions of the contract.

Then compliance would be up to your neighbour!
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    As usual there is very little information given here.

Have you not got a smartphone with access to the internet that you can use?

Or do you need to use a laptop or something for work and that's why you need to go round to your neighbours and use theirs?

Either way, I think it could be opening up a can of worms.

Your internet useage is private - surely you don't want to give access to someone else?

I know I wouldn't trust a complete stranger, who had just moved in next door, to come into my house and use my internet whenever they wanted to.

You can buy internet useage from Curry's or equivalent - do that until you get yours connected.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Even I as a non-tech savvy person know you can buy dongles for temporary internet access while you wait for your broadband to be connected, or use the wifi hotspot on your smart phone to connect your laptop. No, I wouldn't impose on a new neighbour while alternatives are available. BTW, a month sounds like a very long time, I'd suggest going to other suppliers to see if they can beat that connection time.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I'd ask someone who was already a friend or allow a friend. However, someone whom you only just met it could be risky, both ways, as well as rather cheeky.

Surely a dongle would be the best solution.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • HHNN
    HHNN Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Years ago when the internet was gradually spreading into people's homes, my neighbour (of many years' standing) offered me access to his broadband -- so we drilled a hole in the wall and ran a cable through. I paid him a few pounds a month, I think it was a third of his bill. Now with wifi I wouldn't hesitate to ask known neighbours if I could piggyback temporarily if I had a problem with my own access.
  • ButterflyLC
    Options
    I don't see why not. I suppose as long as you are sensible about it and do something that would get your neighbour in trouble, I don't see the harm in asking. Is it really any cheekier than having a friend pop over and asking for the WiFi password?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure