🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ex directory and still nuisance calls

Options
I am ex directory and also registered with TPS yet some how these companies are still calling on our land line, I had three calls from same number, twice they said nothing and first time asked if they could speak to some one over 16 and they then put down phone.

How are they getting my number?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They're not getting your number, they're trying random numbers till they hit a real one.
    The silent ones are where the technology dials lots of numbers at once, and the caller speaks to whichever gets answered first.
    If they're phoning from this country, tell them if they don't take you off the list you'll report them. Chances are though they're phoning from abroad so outside the scope of the TPS.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dont ans the old phone line as got ans machine..
    Usually people i know phone my mobile, they dont go retro and use the land line
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    Also tps seem useless as tried to report the number but they need company name and they did not give their name. it said cant be reported without company name.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Truecall technology. Get a box using it, or a phone that incorporates it. We have a BT8500 (dual set) that incorporates it ... we've not had a single spam call get through in the past 18+ months since getting it.

(The calls still arrive, but the phone doesn't ring).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2016 at 9:14PM
    Options
    According to their website you don't need the name if you have the number.

"You must be able to provide as a minimum the company name and/or telephone number, date and time that the call that you wish to report was received."
    Have you tried their online reporting system?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a set of the BT phones with the Call Guardian service which I find superb and works well. When someone phones, if they're in the phone's address book then the call goes straight through but if they're not then the system prompts them for their name then to press the hash key. The phone then rings and it announces the caller's name giving you the option to answer the call, divert to answer machine or block it.

In practice I find it kills most of the cold calls, the automated diallers can't get through and other cold callers I suspect don't bother going through as they know they'll get rejected anyway. There's no fee for the call guardian system as it's part of the phone but you do need to pay for caller ID for the system to function.

I wish I'd got it sooner as the phone no longer rings all the time and when it does ring, it's usually a proper call that should be answered. Occasionally there can be some minor issues such as automated calls from the bank to confirm an action but you can turn the system off temporarily to allow the call through. On previous discussions some people have found it an issue when friends call from withheld numbers (such as some workplaces) as it means they always have to go through the Call Guardian but it works well for me.

John
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    When my house phone died I got got the BT set as well, it is very effective. Mind you, I'm going to move my line from BT to my ISP as they offer the phone line without voice service, only data, so that will stop them entirely :D
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    When I was looking for work, I found that these companies are registering sister companies as fake recruitment agents and getting peoples information from the CVs they put on jobs websites.

I was looking for work, waiting for phone calls and at least 3 or 4 times a day i'd answer the phone to someone banging on about PPI claims or trying to sell me something. These calls didn't start until I put my CV online.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This comes up regularly and the solution is always the same - get yourself a BT phone with Call Guard. I have had one for over two years and not one unwanted call. Brilliant. Mine has an answering machine too, but that's not strictly necessary.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How are they getting my number?

They're not getting 'your' number, they're dialling every number, either randomly or in sequence.

i.e. if they fail to get through to 332 4521, they move on to 332 4522, 332 4523, etc until someone answers. You're just somewhere in their path.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport