How to deal with a bullying colleague?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another possible way of dealing with emails from someone sitting opposite you is just to say "Oh, Sally, thanks for your email, I'll get right onto that / that's my job for after lunch, but next time just ask, I'm only over here. And I would find it easier if you speak to me rather than filling my inbox with multiple emails."

I have a colleague who sometimes annoys me, and I know I annoy her too. I go out of my way to go and speak to her rather than firing off an exchange of annoyed emails ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Is your work such that you need to have your email open all the time? If you turn it off and check new ones ony once an hour or whatever (and definitely not over lunch) might that help?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • The problem with getting involved with reporting said bullier is that you cannot predict the next person replacing them wouldn't be a mountain worse sadly - I went from working with an unknown to me 'drama queen' who only got reported after her behaviour witnessed many times because it was in another's best interest to do the reporting. I ended up feeling quite sorry for the drama queen although was interesting to almost understand the character traits behind it and why this person had championed silly vulnerable me, to get the job and be under the spell but like I say their replacement didn't make things better, spookily just as drama queen predicted I'll give her that. I couldn't respect the senior member of the team who allowed this to go who would also in turn taunt me as to what they were hearing until it suited them.

Where I am now I've done the insights personality colour test which also rather fascinating, though it's a large scale company thankfully as these issues always are worse and more unpleasant in smaller companies,1 just afraid this situation is be careful what you wish for.
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You have to confront it.

I work with someone who was very controlling and bossy, put me down. We ended up having a big falling out and didn't speak to each other for weeks. We sat next to each other. Eventually I broke the ice by asking a couple of mundane questions and it blew over.

I had to stick up for myself otherwise I think it may have continued. The supervisors were supportive but weren't great at tackling issue.

Good luck in sorting it, its an awful situation to be in.
  • I'd reply to her emails, but cc your line manager. "Happy to do this for you " but then address your line manager "I think I have the time to do this, but wanted to check with you first in case there is something more pressing you wanted to allocate?"

Horrible situation to be in, I hope you get it sorted. She doesn't sound like the sort of person who will ever be nice to work with, but knowing you have people on side should help.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When presented with several tasks, all of which would be classified as urgent, I would go back to the person who allocated them and ask that person to prioritise - if from more than one person, then I would ask them to settle the priorities between them!
  • Definitely agree with checking back with your line manager whether to do the tasks this "equal" is trying to set you.

I'm also astonished you are reading her emails in your lunchbreak. That is very simply dealt with - its YOUR lunchbreak and WORK emails and the two don't go in the same sentence. Stay put at your desk if you wish to - but read a book/do your knitting/etc instead of touching that work computer.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Robisere wrote: »
    That's why I say, your problem person probably feels inadequate. You are probably much better at your job than she is.
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I'd reply to each one politely and cc or bcc your boss in

^^^This (these?)

There are a couple of things that you can do which may help you to feel that you're "fighting back"...a row of large plants between your desks so that you don't have to look at her. A particularly pungent lunch taken at your desk. A large print of you and friends/family looking happy on a day out, posted directly behind your desk so that she has to look at it all day.

But ultimately, you're going to have to man up and tackle her. If one of your colleagues has already reprimanded her when she spoke to you, then you know that she is in the wrong. Practice in front of the mirror, telling her.."Can you not speak to me like that" (don't say "please", it isn't a request, it's a demand.)
    Taking that first step is always terrifying but you will only have to do it once.

Then you can break her down, one step at a time.

"I don't deal with emails during my lunch break"

"I'm not going to do XXXX, because I am working on XXXX for the boss"

"I'm not sure that XXXX is part of my role, I'm just going to check with boss before I take it on"

And eventually, to turn it around completely, a nice polite email saying something like..."Just to let you know, I'll be doing XXXX from now on as it appears that you are unable to manage it during your day"

CC your boss into every email that you reply too...he/she will soon get wind of how many pointless emails that you're receiving when they find that their inbox is clogged up with rubbish.

And do speak to the colleague in shining armour, they may have the back story....has she always been like this? Was your predecessor her best friend? Has she been demoted? Forewarned is forearmed!

Little steps, one each day....if you like your job, it's got to be worth having a go, surely?

**Robsiere..I had a colleague who stabbed me in the back too. I once worked for my brother's company, in a very lowly role (I had the chance of a better position but wanted to "work my way up" and not take advantage of family connections) A colleague,who was initially very friendly (probably thinking that I had some clout in the company) had given me instructions and had written notes for me, which I had left in my desk. One of her instructions was incorrect and meant that several customers had been incorrectly charged (lower) for a service. I was hauled in the office and asked to explain myself. I said that I was told to do what I had done, and I had been given written instructions to do so. When I went to my desk to retrieve the notes, they had disappeared! Unfortunately for my colleague, I had taken a copy to study at home. I got an apology, not sure what happened to her but she hardly ever spoke to me again! ***
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a thought, but is it possible she applied for the job you got?
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • LannieDuck wrote: »
    Just a thought, but is it possible she applied for the job you got?

This happened to me but what made it worse was the guy who'd been passed over had applied for the job previously as well.

Unfortunately for me the rest of the team seem to have sympathy for him - needless to say that position only lasted 4 months before I moved on.

I agree with the advice not to look at emails in lunch hour - in fact I seem to remember a time management expert saying that you should only look at emails at set times otherwise you'd never get anything done. My attitude would be us that if everything is urgent then you start to think the person is crying wolf so you could miss the really urgent emails....and if it was that urgent then she could open her mouth and ask!

I'm not sure I would copy in the line manager to every reply - if only because as a line manager I'd start to get peed off in receiving emails that didn't necessarily concern me.

If others have got the measure of her then I'd concentrate on building up those relationships. Is there any back ground noise eg radio or are you in complete silence? If it's the later then I'd be tempted to ask the boss if it was ok, as the woman likes to work in silence, if you could listen to your iPod or what ever just using one earphone - this might make the day more bearable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure