Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Aldi direct deliveries are surprisingly efficient.

I packed am order just before 7am yesterday, it was dispatched last night and I had a message at 10.20am this morning saying that it was on its way. Yodel delivered to a neighbour at 11am :)

I read with interest until that word 'Yodel' came up.:eek: ;)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    I read with interest until that word 'Yodel' came up.:eek: ;)

Anything I've bought online from Aldi has been delivered by Hermes.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, after a 6 month closure for refurbishment, our Aldi has just reopened. There are 3 new tills which I guess may be useful when it gets seriously busy, and it's a bit lighter inside. Apart from that it seems pretty much the same as it always used to be. I'm distinctly underwhelmed!
    Stompa
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    Well, after a 6 month closure for refurbishment, our Aldi has just reopened. There are 3 new tills which I guess may be useful when it gets seriously busy, and it's a bit lighter inside. Apart from that it seems pretty much the same as it always used to be. I'm distinctly underwhelmed!

Is that the Cambridge one?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aldi refurbs don't usually change very much. The main thing seems to be to update the Fruit & Veg displays.

Lidl refurbs usually involve introducing a mini In-store Bakery.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I was massively disappointed when I visited Friday evening.

The car park is the same size as previously. Three times round the car park before a space became available.

Store was cluttered full of "spare" stock and empty boxes. Especially the fruit and veg section, where you couldn't stop without completely blocking the store entrance.

Product range seems to have gone down. Only two types of curry sauce stocked now. Things are in random places around the store.

Some of the price labels were wrong. I was overcharged on four products (by about 10p to 20p on each one). Considering it only opened on the previous day, I was shocked the labels were wrong.

TBH, after six months of Tesco, I'm not switching back to Aldi. Tesco have a wider product range, more parking spaces and fewer traffic problems on the local roads. I also found Tesco didn't cost much more: they sent regular £2/£3/£4 off £20/£30/£40 vouchers and had a wider range of Value products.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I was massively disappointed when I visited Friday evening.

The car park is the same size as previously. Three times round the car park before a space became available.

Store was cluttered full of "spare" stock and empty boxes. Especially the fruit and veg section, where you couldn't stop without completely blocking the store entrance.

Product range seems to have gone down. Only two types of curry sauce stocked now. Things are in random places around the store.

Some of the price labels were wrong. I was overcharged on four products (by about 10p to 20p on each one). Considering it only opened on the previous day, I was shocked the labels were wrong.

TBH, after six months of Tesco, I'm not switching back to Aldi. Tesco have a wider product range, more parking spaces and fewer traffic problems on the local roads. I also found Tesco didn't cost much more: they sent regular £2/£3/£4 off £20/£30/£40 vouchers and had a wider range of Value products.

I've only visited the Cambridge store once, a few years ago whilst visiting a friend, and was sorely disappointed. You're right about the car park, it's virtually non-existent considering that's the only store in Cambridge.

There are better Aldi stores further afield if you don't mind travelling a little. I would never go back to Tesco, ever.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are better Aldi stores further afield if you don't mind travelling a little. I would never go back to Tesco, ever.
    For my small amount of shopping each week, it is hardly worth travelling to Ely or Chatteris. Occassionally, I'll pop into the local store of my parents when I'm back down south. That's quite a spacious store in an out of town retail park. Complete contrast to the Cambridge store!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Cambridge Aldi's been there years, I think it was the mid-90s and I think (from memory) that used to be a small tyre depot, behind the garage.
    It was never really high profile and was just a "little shop" of no significance at the time. I guess they don't find the need to put a proper shop in the town. They know what they're looking for and if they wanted to do it they'd have found a way ... and they haven't.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yes, that's right.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories