Talk Talk - Internet Problems

Comments

• I had a similar problem with TalkTalk internet dropping every evening around 10pm. I just waited for the next price increase and left without penalty (although they did apply a penalty and I had to complain twice to get it removed).
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    engineers don't give out free routers mate, believe me.

Well considering the engineer I had came round to test the line & said 'the problem is the old router is useless' & proceeded to give me a new one, I'd say they do. Also he mentioned that 5 out of the 7 appointments he had been on that day he ended up changing the routers...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Strangetron,

You are dealing with a person, not an automated service. We can't take account details over a 3rd party site. We would like to help you - please contact my team on twitter as I've asked so we can do just that.

Thanks
    Emma
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Well I am also with TalkTalk in the middle of an eighteen month contract. No offense to you Emma as I'm sure you are trying to do your best for everyone but I have found the broadband pretty dire. The phone service seems fine with no issues. I have the Huawei HG633 modem/router which I am convinced is the problem. TT have updated firmware for this modem which they have been promising to roll out for some time now but still there are delays. In the past I've been able to download firmware updates and install them myself. Why not with TT? I have constant dropouts and wifi problems, the TT community is full of complaints about this modem, including mine.

I was with Virgin for years without any major problems but the price started to creep up so I looked around and saw MSE recommending TalkTalk. I rang Virgin to cancel and they begged me to stay even beating the price that TT were offering. I decided to go with TT. My son said I'd be sorry, the girl at Virgin said I'd be sorry, guess what they were right. The broadband service is truly shocking and just as I joined TT got hacked, I still haven't managed to set an email account up and now I'm not bothered anyway. On the occasions I've complained I get the standard "We checked your line and it appears to be fine". That's because the line is fine but the modem is no good!

In nine months I will be off, the problem is who to? Maybe back to Virgin if I can get a good deal. I once considered Plusnet but I see their reputation is now plummeting as they've just done a big cost cutting exercise. Someone like A&A or Zen would be nice but now I'm retired they might be out of my price range. My son likes Sky but I'm not sure if there are strings attached with their tv service.

I just want broadband that works. Is that too much to ask?
  • strangeotron
    strangeotron Posts: 619 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2016 at 2:54PM
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Well considering the engineer I had came round to test the line & said 'the problem is the old router is useless' & proceeded to give me a new one, I'd say they do. Also he mentioned that 5 out of the 7 appointments he had been on that day he ended up changing the routers...
    The only router TT gave was the crappy freebie that came with the contract. It has one ethernet port and wifi, presumably not both simultaneously, rendering the entire thing pointless. Echolife HUAWEI HG521 thing. Cheap rubbish to be sure which is why i've never used it and have no desire to. Engineers aren't going to give out free routers. It's likely that, assuming you're being honest, he probably had a spare he wanted to get rid of. In the main they don't do this. ever.
  • strangeotron
    strangeotron Posts: 619 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2016 at 2:55PM
    Hi Strangetron,

You are dealing with a person, not an automated service. We can't take account details over a 3rd party site. We would like to help you - please contact my team on twitter as I've asked so we can do just that.

Thanks
    Emma
    And as I said, i've contacted you lot on FB and you lot didn't even bother responding (along with almost everyone else doign the same thing).

I doubt twitter will offer a different service. Simple way to find out though: will your engineer (it won't be a TT engineer, it will be a BT one since they own the line) give out a free, suitable, router? One that can handle multiple inputs, both wired and wireless, simultaneously?

• I was with Virgin for years without any major problems but the price started to creep up so I looked around and saw MSE recommending TalkTalk.

Well well well!
    The broadband service is truly shocking and just as I joined TT got hacked,

Oh yes. I didn't mention all the spam phone calls we get; as well as the usual crap that everyone gets these include a considerable number of calls from people claiming to be TT.

Wonderful company.
  • "please contact my team on twitter as I've asked so we can do just that."
    Fortunately not everyone is on Twitface. So what's the alternative
  • So to contact Talk Talk about a problem I have to create a Twitter account?
    Will have to ring my daughter to explain that one to me.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Strageotron,

We don't advertise or canvas for business at all on these sites. My team provide support on twitter, please contact us if you would like us to help you. We will need to take some account info from you which we can't do on this site.

BT Openreach engineers would not provide replacement routers. Any equipment testing should be completed before a fault is referred to BTOR.

Thanks
    Emma (no need for the quotation marks)
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure