Anyone use part worn tyres?

Options

Comments

• bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    They're a false economy...........

Part worn tyres generally have 3mm of tread left, some a little more. basically they are scrap tyres imported from Europe (mainly Germany), where the minimum tread requirement is 3mm.

Say you buy a 3mm part worn tyre, the limit in the UK is 1.2mm, so that's going give you (for example) in the region of 5000 miles use, 1.5mm worth (0.3mm is Sierra Foxtrot Aplha).

A new tyre comes with 8mm of tread, at the same wear rate that's 32000+ miles.

Some numbers:

New tyre = £90 = 32000 miles
    Part Worn = £20 = 5000 miles

Using part worn tyres your looking at around £128 to cover 32000 miles.
    Plus additional costs, like fuel to get to the tyre place, maybe an hour off work 6.5 times in those 32000 miles (32000 / 5000) and then lets not even get into the safety implications of tyre beading being distorted by different wheels to your own.

It's money saving stupidity akin to putting £2.50 worth of petrol in your car each day.

I think what you meant was they can sometimes be false economy

Not always.

I wouldn't buy a part worn with 3mm of tread anyway. Or a budget one.

But I did buy 3 of them for my Pathfinder. Goodyear Wranglers HP.

I got them for £40/50 each if I remember correctly. They had plenty of tread, one was nearly new.

Those were something like £140/150 fitted each.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Part worn tyres generally have 3mm of tread left, some a little more. basically they are scrap tyres imported from Europe (mainly Germany), where the minimum tread requirement is 3mm.

You're getting confused with the minimum for a winter tyre to still be regarded as a winter tyre. Germany's minimum is 1.6mm...
    Say you buy a 3mm part worn tyre, the limit in the UK is 1.2mm

...and the UK's minimum is 1.6mm, too.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    As a stopgap to get him home I got one fitted for my boy with the intention of replacing it with the unused (but flat, that's kids for you) spare later.

Continental sports contact, fitted & balanced for £20. I measured the tread & it's got just over 5.5mm.

Seems like a bargain to me :)

Seems like a bargain to me too.

If there are no lumps or bulges -no tears or cuts and the tyre is less than 6 years old then you should be fine.

Depending on the exact fitment size some of the ContiSportContacts have only 6.7mm of tread when new - and not the industry standard of 7.9mm.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Part Worn Tyre place near to me which claims to hold the biggest stock in the area isn't very good at all!. When i went in there about 3 years ago to get a replacement for a tyre with a slow puncture they only ones they had in my size all had low tread and he said they were between 3 and 4mm.
  • bigjl
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    The Part Worn Tyre place near to me which claims to hold the biggest stock in the area isn't very good at all!. When i went in there about 3 years ago to get a replacement for a tyre with a slow puncture they only ones they had in my size all had low tread and he said they were between 3 and 4mm.

You do certainly need to be picky.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    I always run on part-worn tyres. Even when I buy brand-new ones they're part worn by the time I get home.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did until I saw dexel had some 17" for £45 ish all in.

8mm tread replace at 2mm = £7.50/mm

Versus part worn with say 5mm at £23. = £7.66/mm

Think that was the point being made by another poster. But if you need a couple of tyres then less than fifty quid is more affordable cash flow wise than ninety quid.

Also the obvious factor that if you want decent, non-Chinese tyres you could be looking at a thirty quid versus seventy quid new type price which makes the saving a lot bigger.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    As a stopgap to get him home I got one fitted for my boy with the intention of replacing it with the unused (but flat, that's kids for you) spare later.

Continental sports contact, fitted & balanced for £20. I measured the tread & it's got just over 5.5mm.

Seems like a bargain to me :)

Why didn't you just pump up the spare, cost next to nothing?
  • bigjl
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Why didn't you just pump up the spare, cost next to nothing?

I think he that the spare will go on the car and the second hand tyre take inspire duties.

Either way you need a tyre or a repair. Inassume the tyre was not salvageable.
  • bigjl
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    I did until I saw dexel had some 17" for £45 ish all in.

8mm tread replace at 2mm = £7.50/mm

Versus part worn with say 5mm at £23. = £7.66/mm

Think that was the point being made by another poster. But if you need a couple of tyres then less than fifty quid is more affordable cash flow wise than ninety quid.

Also the obvious factor that if you want decent, non-Chinese tyres you could be looking at a thirty quid versus seventy quid new type price which makes the saving a lot bigger.

Sensible enough way to look at it.

With the caveat that the fairer way to assess value that way is to use two identical tyres.

Which is always something I consider, I was happy to pay £30/45 for Michelin tyres for my Omega as they were over £120/130 new and I could get ones that had been disposed of by a nearby Met Police Traffic garage (at the time the Met would replace in axle sets and no tyres were ever puncture repaired and reused) and the tyres would often be nearly new.

As I said already I wouldn't buy a budget or low value new used tyre, Premium brands only.

But I make you right, if I had put used tyres on the Berlingo (if I could have found four matching tyres) then I would have struggled to get them done for under £25 a corner fitted near me. If I had wanted four Winter tyres they would have been on their last legs for Winter use.

I am selective with used tyres in the same way as new ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure