🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: BT triples monthly fee for paid email service

Options
2»

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alas, [EMAIL="Quasimodo987@gmail.com"]Quasimodo987@gmail.com[/EMAIL] is what you get as an e-mail address if you are late to the party.

I have been wondering when Gmail will diversify into Amail, Bmail, etc. so the next generation will have an opportunity to have an address in their own names.
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I spent ages changing my mail redirection to use my ISP's email address instead of my btinternet one (and changing Amazon, eBay etc use this instead of my @btinternet.com)

After I did this, I phoned BT to cancel as £1.60 is OK but £5.00 is far too much to retain my old underlying email address. After being on hold for ages I finally got through and they immediately offered me 12 months Premium Mail for free.

I switched back to using my old btinternet email address. Wish I'd phoned in previous years as they may have offered it for free then as well. The person I spoke to implied I could do it again next year - we'll see, and she also tried to sell me other BT services, so perhaps that's why they offered it for free.

The only potential caveat is that I haven't received any written confirmation, so I'll see what happens next billing cycle.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I cancelled mine on Wednesday after trying for over a week of hanging on the line in a Q

anyways cancelled wasn't even persuaded to stay , Scottish lady said do I have any important emails I need saving as service will cease at midnight , checked next day and cannot access via desktop PC but can still access email and am still receiving emails via the android app on my phone and the app on my ipad
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I left BT over 10 years ago, my email still works and I haven't paid them a penny since.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    33jmfeo.jpg9
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    I'm not into cherished number plates.

The fun drains away pretty quick after you have to correct people a thousand times because they can't get

[EMAIL="Jeffrey.archer@jeffrey.archer.co.uk"]Jeffrey.archer@jeffrey.archer.co.uk[/EMAIL]

right.

Why not using jeffrey@archer.co.uk, to stay with your example. If you own archer.co.uk, you can use whatever you want. As long and as short as you like.

It has nothing to do with "cherish numberplates". Also, if I have my own domain, then I can create a new email address for every website i sign up with.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    Options
    Just to think- email with my ISP has always been free -presumably bundled into the (now) £5 pcm cost of broadband. And they are still hosting several web pages for me for free, from their introductory offer some 15 years ago.

Eat your heart out BT. See why I ditched you?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tronator wrote: »
    Why not using [EMAIL="jeffrey@archer.co.uk"]jeffrey@archer.co.uk[/EMAIL], to stay with your example. If you own archer.co.uk, you can use whatever you want. As long and as short as you like.

It has nothing to do with "cherish numberplates". Also, if I have my own domain, then I can create a new email address for every website i sign up with.

It's more like [EMAIL="Jeffrey@archer9456.co.uk"]Jeffrey@archer9456.co.uk[/EMAIL] .

To actually get @archer.co.uk , what kind of money do you think you need to pay? Probably even more than cherished number plate money.
  • forestlands
    Options
    Has anyone noticed they are no longer with BT for emails - which they are paying £5 a month for? It's called BT Yahoo and it's 100% Yahoo with a full Yahoo account and all the paraphernalia that's Yahoo! The only connection with BT is they take your £5 every month and BT don't give you the service you pay for. You didn't ask for a Yahoo account, well you have the whole caboodle without giving your permission! I believe that is hacking, unauthorized intrusion into a computer, with BT and Yahoo as the hackers! Phoned ofcom who said they don't deal with email matters!

If anyone working for MSE sees this please make Martin aware. Thank you! What I have mentioned is relevant to an article in 2016. when there was an article by Callum Brodie, Senior News Reporter for MSE, 30 Mar 2016, titled BT triples monthly fee for paid email service!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anyone noticed they are no longer with BT for emails - which they are paying £5 a month for? It's called BT Yahoo and it's 100% Yahoo with a full Yahoo account and all the paraphernalia that's Yahoo! The only connection with BT is they take your £5 every month and BT don't give you the service you pay for. You didn't ask for a Yahoo account, well you have the whole caboodle without giving your permission! I believe that is hacking, unauthorized intrusion into a computer, with BT and Yahoo as the hackers! Phoned ofcom who said they don't deal with email matters!

If anyone working for MSE sees this please make Martin aware. Thank you! What I have mentioned is relevant to an article in 2016. when there was an article by Callum Brodie, Senior News Reporter for MSE, 30 Mar 2016, titled BT triples monthly fee for paid email service!

You've already posted about this here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73768097&posted=1#post73768097

No need to spam the boards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family