PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Self-proclaimed Worst Neighbour Preventing Sale

Options
Hi all

I have a real problem on my hands.

I own a large cottage which has two close by neighbours. Last year I applied for and was granted permission to turn my large cottage back into x2 semi-detached cottages, whilst extending my half to include a terrace. (Double storey).

All the neighbours objected with 1 young couple writing a dossier of complaints. Although it was approved the young chap was a constant thorn, complaining about noise etc throughout build.

Now the property is close to completion we have had people view the property but this neighbour has gone out of his way to put people off. If he's in, he parks awkwardly on shared driveway or plays loud heavy metal music. Worst of all, he has erected two metal signs to his fence declaring himself as 'worlds worst neighbour', and threatened me with criminal action if I try & remove them or cover them up.

I'm in a complete mess - I have no pension and put all savings into project with hopes of living off proceeds but I'm now scared of financial ruin.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tricky one.

My immediate thought is that this must be exactly the sort of behaviour ASBOs were designed for.....
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What did you expect you peed off the neighbours...

What happened to tea and cakes... (GM TM)
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rent it out....

To the most obnoxious people you can find.
  • Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    You need to find someone who can mediate.

There must be something which this young man wants, other than just "revenge" on you (because you won the planning battle and because your builders disturbed him and his family). Perhaps he wants an apology, perhaps he wants a chance to shout at you and be heard, perhaps he wants some form of compensation such as a bit of your land or some left-over building materials. Until someone can find this out and meet his "needs", he'll probably continue to express his anger in this childish way.

A good mediator should be able to negotiate a way forward, although of course it's not likely to be either a smooth process or one which makes you feel particularly happy (as you will undoubtedly have to compromise in some way and/or eat humble pie, which may feel both unjust and galling).
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Plant a tree in front of his sign on your side of the fence.

Rent the newly divided cottage to the most obnoxious person you can find.

A solicitors letter warning the idiot that if he continues his actions, you will consider legal action against him.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• TheBiggerPicture
    Options
    Cant you report him to the council about the sign? Or the police? Or try neighbour mediation meeting? He is definately trying to antagonise you, most probably jealous, but dont let him get to you or he'll win. Keep your head down, first try having a chat, invite him over for a cup of tea, discuss it. Apologise for the noise etc. Tell him you need to sell because you have no money left, he might take pity on you and stop being such a knobhead. Good luck
    Life is short be happy
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    Well you'd have to be mad to purchase a property next to someone proclaiming to be " The Worlds Worst Neighbour " let alone one who actually advertises the fact :eek:

If I was you I'd contact you local council and report your neighbours unlawful advertisement ;)
  • ManuelG
    ManuelG Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tell him you need to sell because you have no money left, he might take pity on you and stop being such a knobhead. Good luck

Or it might persuade him to keep going for the kill...

Mediation ain't a bad idea, athough it does f course need the neighbour to agree to it.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pop round and explain that if you can't sell you'll rent it, to scum.
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Options
    SamuelRJ wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a real problem on my hands.

I own a large cottage which has two close by neighbours. Last year I applied for and was granted permission to turn my large cottage back into x2 semi-detached cottages, whilst extending my half to include a terrace. (Double storey).

All the neighbours objected with 1 young couple writing a dossier of complaints. Although it was approved the young chap was a constant thorn, complaining about noise etc throughout build.

Now the property is close to completion we have had people view the property but this neighbour has gone out of his way to put people off. If he's in, he parks awkwardly on shared driveway or plays loud heavy metal music. Worst of all, he has erected two metal signs to his fence declaring himself as 'worlds worst neighbour', and threatened me with criminal action if I try & remove them or cover them up.

I'm in a complete mess - I have no pension and put all savings into project with hopes of living off proceeds but I'm now scared of financial ruin.

Were you sensitive to the noise etc, that you were inconveniencing him/your neighbours to during the building process? were the neighbours objections and the dossier of complaints responded to in a timely and sensitive manner to allay their concerns, if at all?

It sounds as if they felt unheard and out of the loop, so they are excerising what rights/inconveninces they can upon you in retaliation.

Further, perhaps the notice refers to you and not him.... or did he begin the sentance with "I am....?.

You need a reset button/olive brach plan - as it seems your neighbour is of the opinion that there is little left to lose and has dug in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure