PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Xmas "oops" moments thread

Options
124»

Comments

• ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    8 of us sitting down for dinner, we'd cooked a goose on Christmas Eve and stripped the meat off to reheat and serve with the turkey and ham. Unfortunately, the goose was as tough as shoe leather (not sure where we went wrong with it!) but at least the turkey and ham were lush. Also I forgot the braised red cabbage and 5 mins before serving, it was still frozen solid - microwave to the rescue!
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another one here who forgot to serve the stuffing.. oops!
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I forgot to make any stuffing. but as we were having beef and pork, it wasn't a problem.
    I did, however, forget to decorate the Aldee rich fruit cake I had lovingly marzipanned and iced (with Aldees marzipan and icing of course), and for yet another year I pass it off as 'homemade Christmas cake'.
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Me, I like stuffing at almost any time of year, & crackers are fun too.

All this "oops!" is just a golden opportunity For Later!

Also my grandmother taught me her family tale of the tweeny tottering in with the turkey, tripping over & the bird rolling the length of the dining table, on the floor. "Ah Mabel," came the lady hostess measured response, "take away That Turkey and bring the Other Turkey"... I believe the young lady got the hint, rounded up the errant bird, gave it a quick sluice & a fresh rubdown with butter & returned to applause.
    It's all about the presentation...
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Dinner went well no problems
    But ...
    As I was finishing making the dessert I saw a mouse in the kitchen running across the floor. Aarhh!!

Mouse had nicked a chocolate from ds's advent calendar (HM with matchboxes with chocolates in). Noticed one of the lower boxes was open. Set traps. Caught mice 5 nights running, nothing for the last couple though.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DD Was really sick yest with a bug, but I still went round with their pressies, n my gorg Grandkids were buzzing :)
    Today have had a chilled day, but am surrounded by severe floods, although I am on top of the hill :)It's not stopped raining for well over 24 hours :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,002 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Super painful papercut just under a nail from putting playmobil together.. many hates
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Slipped on a wet man hole cover walking home last night and went ar5e over tit, fortunately I'd had a skinfull so felt no pain. Knees a bit sore this morning.

To add - when I got in I sent a (drunken) text to my hosts letting them know I had gotten home safely (hardly) and they thought I had actually fallen down a manhole and rather than come and look for me, they were drunkenly making plans to sue the council and utility companies between bouts of laughter at my mishap. Glad I made their evening!
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To add - when I got in I sent a (drunken) text to my hosts letting them know I had gotten home safely (hardly) and they thought I had actually fallen down a manhole and rather than come and look for me, they were drunkenly making plans to sue the council and utility companies between bouts of laughter at my mishap. Glad I made their evening!

A friend of mine did something similar when drunk years ago but she actually fell into the hole left by roadworks...rather than ring her family she rang the local taxi firm, told them she didn't know where she was but told them the pub she'd last been in and where she was going and 2 drivers drove along the route looking for her.. they eventually rescued her and took her home :rotfl:
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 December 2015 at 10:53AM
    Options
    Loving this thread, great idea and thanks to all contributors :)
    We've had Christmas mice for the last two years which has made me paranoid this year about placing every little scrap of food I've bought for Xmas into sealed containers as I've brought them into the house, especially chocolate which they really seem to go for.
    Maybe that explains the boxes of Quality Street that I've just discovered in the closed pressure cooker...
    Very best wishes to those of you who have had real disasters this Christmas, especially those in the flood areas. I hope that things improve for you all very soon.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure