Haggle with RAC, AA & more

Former_MSE_Rebecca
Former_MSE_Rebecca Posts: 173 Forumite
edited 21 August 2015 at 4:13PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi folks,

We've just written a new guide - Haggle with RAC, AA & more - please take a look and we would love to hear your feedback and successes.

Thanks,

MSE Rebecca

Comments

• Got my RAC renewal through at £147, a quick call to RAC later & they offered me 30% off - new price £103!
  • Our RAC renewal of £185 has just been reduced to £119! Thanks for encouraging me to haggle.
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 23 December 2015 at 9:20AM
    Time for AA renewal. Have been AA customer for several years and happy with their services but not their renewal price.

For single membership, vehicle cover & home start was initially quoted £127 .34 . Did my homework, RAC would give me this cover for £77 plus £20 gift voucher. AA then offered £95.50 with the same offer fixed for next year as well. Turned this down , pointing out new customers are being offered this cover for £77.
    AA reduced the quote to £82. Refused this as still more than RAC.
    AA then agreed to undercut RAC £62.59.

Sucessful haggling over 50% discount.

Give it a try.
  • My £148 RAC renewal arrived, so I checked with AA and Greenflag. The £58 cashback that you showed appears to have finished, but RAC matched the £84 quote from Greenflag, giving me a 43% reduction in the cost. Thank you.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    No need to bother with haggling.

Just keep switching provider every year. You end up getting cover for next to nothing plus cashback. I've been a new customer with the AA now 4 times.
  • RAC breakdown renewal was £114 for 12 months cover. AA after cashback would have been £55.17. However as I'd also given Green Flag and Auto Aid quotes, and threatened to leave, RAC renewed for 14 months at £55.
    Success! Thanks to Martin and his team.
  • 10 minutes on the phone to RAC and reduced premium by almost 40%.

I was clear from the outset what my target price was (using cashback site to get realistic alternative premium). I didn't accept the first offer of 25% discount using the phrase "I'll have to go away and think about that". A quick referral up to the manager and I got to within £3 of my target without the hassle of switching providers and waiting for the cashback.
  • Last year's renewal was ridiculous, so I haggled and paid £80 for Home Start, Roadside and Relay but for one named vehicle only as I never drive anyone else's car.

This year they wanted £129.70 for the same, a 62% increase. The higher insurance premium tax accounted for only £4 of that.

Haggled and they quickly took it down to £85 i.e. same as last year apart from the tax, which is not their fault.

Result! Chapeau !
  • Win Win.
    Thanks
  • I have just joined the RAC. Thought i would phone them rather than do it online and give it a try. Got personal cover for both my son and myself for £130 instead of £150 for full cover. Some may say it's not a lot but still it's a saving.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback