Should I pay for a shoddy haircut?

Options
Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 28 May 2015 at 10:31AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I tried a new hairdresser yesterday - she cut off way more than I asked and it looks terrible. She tried to fix it but I ended up walking out without paying, but now I feel a little bad about it. Should I go back and pay something at least?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    "She cut off way more than I asked....she tried to fix it. "

How? By sticking some back on again?

If you feel guilty, pay for the shampoo. If you didn't get the cut you asked for, you don't pay for something you didn't get.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I think not paying is fair enough, your conscience will decide what's best for you to do...
  • tindella
    tindella Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No you shouldn't - and I wouldn't recommend her to anybody either. In fact, you could think about taking her to court as you have to walk around with her mistake until it grows out!
  • allybee13
    allybee13 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    If you're still unhappy with the cut, it's likely that you'll end up going elsewhere to get it tidied up (if there's enough hair left) and that's going to cost you.

I'd keep the money you would have paid her and use it to get a tidy up cut. Otherwise, I'd just keep the money as you didn't get what you asked for.

It's your conscience, so only you can decide.
    Debt Free since Feb 2007 :T
  • newfiemayhem
    newfiemayhem Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 May 2015 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Quite honestly you should have paid something. I M sure she didn't set out to ruin your day and presumably you were sitting in front of a mirror and could have called a halt before it got any worse. I just think that if that happened every time the hairdressers will start charging up front and that is defo something I don't want. It's your conscience as every one has said but you did have some say in the outcome
  • fifitrix123
    fifitrix123 Posts: 346 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2015 at 9:45AM
    Options
    No. The same thing happened to me at Celly's in Worcester and she cut off so much and in the wrong style and had the nerve to tell me I must have told her wrong! (I just wanted it the same style but a tad shorter as I had grown it longer).
    When she started I even asked if she was qualified as she was taking so long but was stood in front of me so I couldn't see what she was doing.

She had cut it so short and not even in the same style or side as I wanted and then had the nerve to say I didn't have enough hair to have it cut how I wanted to, yet the Manageress saw me before she started and said I had more than enough hair for it as she usually cut it for me!

The Manageress then said she would sack the stylist as it was so bad and she could not put it right without scalping me even more and she said I didn't have to pay but I thought they should pay to put it right once it had grown back so I contacted head office who didn't want to help and said it was a franchise!

I persisted and told them they should look into it and I received a phone call from a foreign man claiming to be the owner of the whole company who refused to give me his full name but offered me a colour and cut at the same salon!!!
    When I said I would think about it as I didn't really want to go back there, he proceeded to rant, rave and swear at me until I put the phone down!!
    It turns out he lied and was not the owner of the whole company but just the franchise!

Now the police are dealing with him so never go to Celly's Hair Salon especially in Worcester! or deal with the owner Gurton or Given Onay!!
    (who didn't even have the brains to block his telephone number)

I have been advised to take them to the small claims court as the photographs I had taken even showed lumps cut out of my hair which left me nearly bald in places!
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    What i suggest is you first go to the hairdressers and ask for some sort of compensation.Then if your not happy with the response go and seek legal advice,which is free so don't worry about the cost.I'm sure they'll offer you some free products and a free hairdo for sometime later.As i've said if your not happy go legal and let them know,plus say your also going to the local press and the bad publicity is not going to do them any favours.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Should you go back? Depends on how you reacted when you walked out! If you were irate and ranting, an apology might be in order. If you were in a huff, sounds like it was justified. As far as paying goes, I'd suggest, if you are risking them again, that you speak to the manager and see what they can suggest to make your hair look presentable, and pay for the new service if happy with it, but I wouldn't offer to pay for the shoddy haircut.
  • stir_crazy
    stir_crazy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Options
    No you shouldn't pay. I had a hairdresser completely ruin my hair by chopping into it randomly when I had asked her to thin it out. The end result was so bad that I had to get the whole lot cut off and start again. Paying the hairdresser only added insult to injury and I do regret just paying up and not complaining.
  • jmyers11
    Options
    Almost all of these replies are based on you imposing a decision on the haridresser.

Why don't you pop in and ask her what she thinks about what happened. If she says you should pay, you can then explain you were very upset and that's why you didn't pay at the time. Ask her how much she feels is appropriate given you were unhappy with the cut.

You may find she doesn't want paying.... how nice to get that result without having to "tell her" what your decision is.

In any event, you are listening to her side of the story first, and that will diffuse the situation a lot. Make sure you listen carefully.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure