Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• LizW
    LizW Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi - I have just made a s75 claim to my CC provider as we purchased a kitchen and the kitchen company went into administration - we have some of the kitchen but not all of it. It has been about 4 weeks since I made the claim and apart from a letter from my CC provider after about 14 days acknowledging the claim I have heard nothing further - how long should it take to receive a response and should I just refer to the FOS due to no reply?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    LizW wrote: »
    Hi - I have just made a s75 claim to my CC provider as we purchased a kitchen and the kitchen company went into administration - we have some of the kitchen but not all of it. It has been about 4 weeks since I made the claim and apart from a letter from my CC provider after about 14 days acknowledging the claim I have heard nothing further - how long should it take to receive a response and should I just refer to the FOS due to no reply?

You can refer it to the FOS after eight weeks from the date of your claim to the credit provider. If you're currently stuck without a proper kitchen and need S75 assistance urgently, I'd talk to the FOS now and explain the situation.
  • Stec1603
    Stec1603 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Hello

I purchased a suite in October and received delivery in December.
    This was from a local store, not a big name, DFS/SCS etc

The arm on the sofa has a fault, and instead of being hard it is spongy like
    Something inside has collapsed.

When I purchased the suite, I also took out insurance for 5 years.

I paid for all these items on my Halifax CC which has been paid off in full.

I have proof of the purchase of the suite, however the insurance was done over the
    Telephone and I don’t have proof of this purchase in anyway, except that the statement from my CC provider shows £100 transaction with the store.

I have been in to the store on a few occasions only to be told that he would “sort it”
    Last week I went back to discuss as I had still not received anything, but the business
    Has gone bust.

Given the item is faulty and I paid with my CC and the store has gone bust
    What will I claim from my CC?

The cost of the repair (who does this),or the full cost for the suite?

Anyway you can think of that I can prove insurance was purchased?

Many Thanks
    Ste
  • Crabman
    Stec1603 wrote: »
    Hello

I purchased a suite in October and received delivery in December.
    This was from a local store, not a big name, DFS/SCS etc

The arm on the sofa has a fault, and instead of being hard it is spongy like
    Something inside has collapsed.

When I purchased the suite, I also took out insurance for 5 years.

I paid for all these items on my Halifax CC which has been paid off in full.

I have proof of the purchase of the suite, however the insurance was done over the
    Telephone and I don’t have proof of this purchase in anyway, except that the statement from my CC provider shows £100 transaction with the store.

I have been in to the store on a few occasions only to be told that he would “sort it”
    Last week I went back to discuss as I had still not received anything, but the business
    Has gone bust.

Given the item is faulty and I paid with my CC and the store has gone bust
    What will I claim from my CC?

The cost of the repair (who does this),or the full cost for the suite?

Anyway you can think of that I can prove insurance was purchased?

Many Thanks
    Ste

With regard to the insurance cover, that could either be refunded to you or the credit provider will take over the 5 year insurance plan. It's difficult to say what will happen as that will to a certain degree depend on what you want.

Regarding the sofa itself, if you can get an independent expert (e.g. another furniture business or perhaps someone who repairs furniture) to provide you with a report that the item is definitely faulty and is not fit for purpose/not of satisfactory quality, that will support a claim for a repair/replacement or refund. They may charge for this report though you could negotiate with them if you're likely to buy a replacement sofa from them when this gets sorted.

I would contact the credit provider to explain what has happened and have an idea of what you want in terms of a solution. Be firm though as credit providers do all they can to escape liability for S75 claims. Good luck :)
  • Stec1603
    Stec1603 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Many thanks for your help ��
  • smcg2212
    smcg2212 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Do you know where I can find out if Section 75 is affected by a coup or war?
  • Good afternoon,

I paid the deposit for my holiday on a credit card but have since closed my credit card account. Will I still be covered?

Thanks
  • Crabman
    craig1123 wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

I paid the deposit for my holiday on a credit card but have since closed my credit card account. Will I still be covered?

Thanks
    Yes - from the article:

Section 75 is fantastic protection. It means if you order something and if the retailer goes kaput, you can still claim your money back from the credit card provider (even if you've since closed your credit card account).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#when

Good luck :)
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    craig1123 wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

Thanks

Did you pay the holiday company direct or go through an agent?
  • Did you pay the holiday company direct or go through an agent?

Its a Thomson holiday and I went straight through them.
    I also understand that there is the additional CAA cover on holidays but from what I have read it is easier to go through Credit Cards.

Thanks for your help you two.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport