Should I have paid for broken glasses?

Options
When I was boarding a plane recently the girl in the seat next to me had spread all her belongings over my seat. As I arrived she hurriedly moved her items and in the process must have knocked her Ray-Ban sunglasses on to the floor. I then stood on them and they broke beyond any means of repair. Should I have offered to pay for a replacement pair or should she have been more careful?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd say no to paying for them.

She put them (albeit accidentally) on the floor for them to get trodden on. Her loss.
  • Anoneemoose
    Options
    I'd say no to paying for them.

She put them (albeit accidentally) on the floor for them to get trodden on. Her loss.

Agreed!

Need more characters
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    I'd apologise but agree with the others - it's up to her to take more care of her stuff, especially in such a confined space. In her shoes I wouldn't expect anyone else to offer to pay for my mistake either.
  • janiebquick
    Options
    They would be Ray-Ban glasses wouldn't they? How come no-one in these MSDs ever owns cheap supermarket stuff?

But I agree with the other posters, it's not your problem.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    I then stood on them and they broke beyond any means of repair.

It's a bit ambiguous as to whether this was a deliberate act :D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • alittlemadam
    Options
    I agree with the others and no you should not pay for the glasses.

Firstly what idiot spreads all there belongings over the seats of a plane knowling full well that others will be coming along and sitting in those seats, she should have waited until the plane took off ad if no-one sat in the seat besides her only then spread out.

If you feel that you want to make a token gesture thats up to you but I wouldnt be paying anymore that £20 for a replacement pair.

They were her responsibility she should have taken more care for such an expensive item (beats me why anyone would want to pay hundreds just for a pair of sunglasses)
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Definitely not!

You are in no way responsible for what happened to her glasses.

You didn't knock them on the floor and you certainly didn't tread on them with any awareness that they were there either. Had she said 'just a minute' and gestured for you to not come forward and you had ignored that and stepped on them - albeit still accidentally - I would understand your sense of feeling partially responsible. But, from what you describe, this was not the case.

Stop beating yourself up over it.Things happen to our property at times that are a combination of our actions and external situations. If she has not understood that yet, then she should do now (and so should you).
  • Zabki
    Zabki Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    No you shouldn't.

Also if she was on a plane chances are she has travel insurance.
  • No. They are a fashion accessory, and the stupid (!!!!!!) should had known someone would be sitting next to her
  • aquarius02
    Options
    Absolutely not! She should not have had her belongings all over your seat in the first place, fully knowing you would return to your seat, and she knocked them on the floor, causing you to accidentally step on them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure