MSE guide discussion: Parcel delivery rights

Former_MSE_Tara_E
Former_MSE_Tara_E Posts: 29 Forumite
edited 11 August 2021 at 12:52PM in Consumer rights
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We've written a new guide to your parcel delivery rights and we'd love your feedback.

Thanks,

MSE Tara

Comments

• The guide is good but it makes assumptions about the communication strategy of the companies involved. Advice such as, 'you could try the courier first' doesn't take account of the fact that companies such as Hermes do not publish their contact details. When they send an email, it doesn't have a telephone number and it comes from a 'do-not-reply' email address. They seem to try to avoid dealing with customers as much as possible. A Google search reveals only details for MyHermes, which is according to them not the same company and is a parcel collection service, not a parcel delivery service. They do kindly forward complaints on to Hermes, which they don't have to as they explain in their emails they are not connected companies.

So it is often not possible to contact the courier service.
  • Does anyone know how we can stop companies sending out emails from 'do-not-reply' email addresses? I know they say the email address is 'not monitored' but that is just a scam. The way email works, a computer is programmed to compose an email and send it to an email server. Along with the text of the email, the program sends 'To: abc' and 'From: xyz' . So the programmer invented the 'From: do-not-reply@xxx' email address instead of putting the real email address of the company. The big question is WHY? Why not give the email address of the customer services department instead on every outgoing communication? That way, if there is a problem with what the email is saying, customers can click 'Reply' and quickly get to customer service. Instead, with delivery companies, we have to telephone the retailer and ask them for the telephone number of the courier they have chosen to use.

I understood what Martin Lewis was saying on the TV this week, don't get cross with the delivery driver it isn't their fault, your contract is with the retailer.

The problem with this is that it is often the delivery driver who IS at fault, and anyway are they not the agent of the retailer when they come to your house? Everyone who works for a retailer should be trained in customer service. If a customer complains politely to someone who works for the retailer, that person has a responsibility to handle the complain and forward it to the retailer's customer services department. This is still true when the worker is three steps removed from retailer, such as when they are actually on a self-employed zero hours contract with a third party delivery company contracted to supply services to the retailer. I have no control over the employment terms and conditions of the worker, but when they come to my house to provide a service paid for by the retailer they are an agent of the retailer. If they do a bad job, or are rude, or ignore complaints, it is the retailer who has done these things too.
  • RobinJay wrote: »
    .... A Google search reveals only details for MyHermes, which is according to them not the same company and is a parcel collection service, not a parcel delivery service. They do kindly forward complaints on to Hermes, which they don't have to as they explain in their emails they are not connected companies. .....
    According to Hermes own website*,"myHermes C2C website is owned by Hermes UK"

*As a new user I'm not allowed to post with links
  • vickyo
    vickyo Posts: 89 Forumite
    Here's a strange one - how long do you legally have to hold goods for if you repeatedly request a company to collect (large item) for a refund? They keep telling me that UPS will contact me to collect, but they don't!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    vickyo wrote: »
    Here's a strange one - how long do you legally have to hold goods for if you repeatedly request a company to collect (large item) for a refund? They keep telling me that UPS will contact me to collect, but they don't!

Ha, I'd be interested in that too! I've waited in all day today for UKMail to collect a large item, nobody has been yet, and no email giving me a time slot that I was promised.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Although not quite your scenario, this document explains your obligations and responsibilities as an involuntary bailee and should answer your questions.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite

Depends on the circumstances - if there is a contract involved (ie returning unwanted goods) then its possible you have the duty to ensure the goods are returned to them and likewise if a contract is involved then the degree of care expected of you is higher.

Perhaps if you give us more details we could advise.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • I am having a problem with Hermes. They have admitted liability for losing my package that I have proof of posting from the Hermes drop stop. They say that the driver possibly didn't lock the door and a passer by may have stolen the item off the seat. Hermes say they will not compensate me because my item is excluded from their huge list of items not to send. The item value is £18.00 well under the £20 limit plus the postage and signature for delivery. They are now escalating to their complaints department. On that basis they can lose anything and not compensate. Where do I stand.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    I am having a problem with Hermes. They have admitted liability for losing my package that I have proof of posting from the Hermes drop stop. They say that the driver possibly didn't lock the door and a passer by may have stolen the item off the seat. Hermes say they will not compensate me because my item is excluded from their huge list of items not to send. The item value is £18.00 well under the £20 limit plus the postage and signature for delivery. They are now escalating to their complaints department. On that basis they can lose anything and not compensate. Where do I stand.

What was the item? Was it a prohibited item or is it just an item they exclude for compensation/damage?

If the former you may have a problem, if the latter you should still be able to claim because its not damage your claim is based on, its the drivers negligence (and they can't limit their liability for negligent acts).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Is there any legal basis or precedent for claiming back cost of following up on missing deliveries?

My girlfriend has been trying to track down a parcel that apparently has been delivered to the wrong address, but the advice we keep getting when contacting Yodel is to call back tomorrow when they should have more information on the whereabouts of the package. This has resulted in a not insignificant mobile phone bill caused by going through the infuriating automated information service before being allowed to speak to a human, only to be told that they still cant find the parcel, but that if we phone back tomorrow they will have contacted the depot and found out where it is! Very frustrating, but I can deal with that. It does however seem unfair that through no fault of our own, we now have a large phone bill to pay for!

Any advice much appreciated!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure