MSE News: Got a Samsung phone? You could get charged extra for sending emojis

Options
"Samsung mobile users who put a smiley in a message could see their text converted into a pricey picture message..."
Read the full story:

Got a Samsung phone? You could get charged extra for sending emojis

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• sparky93
    Options
    I have had samsungs for a while, from a ace, s2, s3 and now s5.
    Always used smilies :-) and its not changed from sms to mms.
  • snozdop
    Options
    sparky93 wrote: »
    I have had samsungs for a while, from a ace, s2, s3 and now s5.
    Always used smilies :-) and its not changed from sms to mms.

As clearly stated in the second sentence of article, this issue affects image-based emojis, NOT text-based smileys.
  • sparky93
    Options
    oops :-) :-P , o well, down to silly users then,
    image = picture.
    picture = image.
    both = mms. dur.
  • snozdop
    Options
    sparky93 wrote: »
    oops :-) :-P , o well, down to silly users then,
    image = picture.
    picture = image.
    both = mms. dur.

Wrong. As also stated in the article (maybe you should read it?), this issue only affects Samsung phones released before April 2014.

Emojis are just 4-byte Unicode characters shown as images by the handsets. Apple, HTC, Sony and Nokia phones all understand these characters and send emoji as SMS (text messages), and do not convert messages containing them to MMS (picture messages). Only Samsung phones have this problem.
  • Quiet_Spark
    Quiet_Spark Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Options
    snozdop wrote: »
    Only Samsung phones have this problem.
    It's not a problem, Samsung designed it that way on purpose to increase compatibility.
    To stop it from happening you can select Unicode as the default input method, or root the handset and modify a couple of lines of code within the SecMMS.apk application to make the change permanent.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit a wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    back in the day e.g 10 years ago everyone who sent MMS knew that if you added a pic/image then it would be an MMS.

Clearly user error here.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IIRC, doesn't it also only happen with the Samsung SMS app? I'm sure using emojis with a Note 3 and S4 they send as SMS with apps like GoSMS Pro.
    ====
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it's not older Samsung phones that do this. It's older Samsung messaging apps that do this.
  • Phantom_Flan_Flinger
    Options
    If I add an emoji to a text on my S4, I get a small message popping up to say that the text is being converted to a multimedia message. It is easy to miss though.
    Dave. :wave:
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I add an emoji to a text on my S4, I get a small message popping up to say that the text is being converted to a multimedia message. It is easy to miss though.

Change your messaging app, I've just tested it on a S4, Samsung Messaging app gets the "converting to multimedia" pop up and charges as an MMS while GoSMS Pro doesn't convert it and it's still sent as a text message (but the emojis are still sent).
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport