Tell us about secret weekend locations that can be done on the cheap

Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
London, Edinburgh, Liverpool... these are all great places for a weekend break but they can be pricey. We want to know what other spots you've discovered that have fabulous attractions but come with a smaller price tag. We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on cheap weekends away.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• brikel
    brikel Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2014 at 10:53PM
    If you are planning a visit to Liverpool, for cheap travel ticket. A Local saveaway is valid on all local buses and local trains. All Area Saveaway is valid throughout Merseyside. Also on trains to Chester and Ormskirk.You can buy them from Lime St. train station and validate the scratch card as and when you need them
    Liverpool is A very friendly AND safe city You wont want to Leave
  • When visiting Blackpool get the blackpool resort tickets, there were 3 of us went (Me, my wife and stepso (6) and we saved over £75 between us on them for the admission

(due to being a new poster i cant post links so you will have to google: Blackpool resort Pass)

Saves a fortune in ticket prices and generally jump the ques too. only ones that dont offer priority queing was the Tower (but there was no que anyway) and the pleasure beach (this could have been better sign posted) but even on Aug bank holiday the que for bank holiday went down quick as they had lots of people on the desks.

Hope this helps......
  • Check out Virgin for Train Tickets. Use those train tickets on http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london to get 2 for 1 access to attractions whilst in London. Also an (off-peak) day Travelcard/Oystercard saves ££££'s if using buses/tube to get around.
  • Elisecas
    Elisecas Posts: 51 Forumite
    London has loads of free stuff: the free museums would take a lot more than a weekend and cheap eats can be googled. It's just travel and accommodation that cost: use the megabus or coach and stay on the outskirts of zone 2 or in zone 3 and its ok.
  • :jHi, my family and I regularly have cheap weekends away in London by purchasing advance return tickets with Virgin Railways too, and staying in Premier Inns. If you travel by train you can also take advantage of the many 2 for 1 offers to tourist attractions on the 'Days out Guide' website. Hope this helps.
  • malkypaul
    malkypaul Posts: 31 Forumite
    Hi All

If I have to go somewhere I always stay in a hotel via the www.travel-offers.???? club, (It's £30ish pounds for a directory of hotels) but you pay for food in the hotel, (you got to eat somewhere) but you get a room free if available though there might be a limit of days you can stay per holiday, They are usually the smaller less desirable rooms but you are only sleeping there) The directory will pay for itself in the first trip and after that you are Quids in.
    I recently went to a friends wedding in Haverfordwest from Worcester by coach, the wedding venue wanted £120 per night (there for two nights), I had a short ride across town by taxi (cos I was well SQUIFFY) with a free bed BARGAIN!.:j
    I also normally have a few days Skiing in Scotland during the winter as well, the club have expanded to Europe but I haven't tried that yet Maybe when i retire!

regards

Malkypaul
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Nottingham - great city and very cheap!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Northern Ireland. Not cheap but very different. Like being in a foreign country but still being in the UK. So much to see and so little time to see it in.

Big adventure for the kiddies too because you can choose to come by ferry which makes it more fun - for them anyway. ;)

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/
  • an59
    an59 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2014 at 8:43PM
    Megabus.com has some great fare prices. We recently took a Coach all the way from Norwich to Birmingham.It cost us a ridiculously low price of £2 each way.It is more direct,stops less than National Express and saved us changing trains, which would also have cost us a fortune! They go to so many destinations too.We could have gone to Bristol for £15 return from Norwich.
  • Bollotom
    Bollotom Posts: 957
    First Post
    Forumite
    Planned carefully a 'Tastecard' is good. Gives you 50% off at hundreds of places nationwide, the 1 month trial is completely free. 'Bite' gets you 20% off at most train station bars and food places. Lots of 2 for 1s on production of rail ticket (not Underground). Generally Wetherspoons are good for food. Most Museums/Art Galleries are free in London at least. If you do a search for Susancs and check her posts for some of the best London info. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure