IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Minerva Security Limited, Whitehall Square Appts, Belfast

Options
The management company at this appartment block have invited the devil into bed with them by bringing in Minerva Security to "manage" the car park. Minerva were supposed to hand out tickets to anyone not displaying a badge, but of course prefer the option of clamping instead, because then they can extort £120 from their victims.

Minerva may well have authorisation from the management company to clamp vehicles parked in the communal parts of the car park which fall under their technical ownership. However all of the individual parking spaces in Whitehall Square are privately owned, and unless the parking space owner has authorised Minerva, they have no more right to clamp a vehicle in a private space, that they would to clamp a car on a driveway.

If you have been a victim of this scam, post here for advice on how to claim your money back.

And for the Minerva weasel reading this, Scottish Courts have declared wheel clamping to constitute "Extortion and Theft". Trespassing on peoples private property and fitting clamps to vehicles to extract a ransom payment to which you have absolutely no right is extortion and a scam. So sue me, the truth is always an absolute defence against defamation.

Wheel clamping has already been criminalised in every other part of the UK and the Stormont government is currently in a consultation about wheel clamping

http://www.dojni.gov.uk/ford-launches-consultation-on-vehicle-immobilisation-on-private-land

It will be a travesty if they do anything other than follow the Scottish model.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797).

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Bumping this so others see it as I know you said loads were clamped this week in their own spaces. Terrible extortion scam, so glad it's a crim offence in England & Wales now.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    So those owners have a case to file small claims (or the NI equivalent) against Minerva Security Limited for the return of the extorted fees?
  • SevenTowers
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    So those owners have a case to file small claims (or the NI equivalent) against Minerva Security Limited for the return of the extorted fees?

Absolutely,

I recommend that anyone who has had money extorted from them:

1. Report the crime of extortion to the PSNI. Be very firm and do not accept it any lame attempt to palm it off as "It's a civil matter sir" Point out that the spaces are privately owned, and clamping in your parking space is no different to the scammers coming onto your driveway and clamping your car. Demand that they investigate and get a crime reference number.

2. If you paid by credit card or debit card get on to your bank immediately and report the transaction as extortion. Tell them that you were deprived of your vehicle and were forced to pay a ransom demand. Point out that the spaces are privately owned, and clamping in your parking space is no different to the scammers coming onto your driveway and clamping your car.

3. Start a Small Claim through the NI Courts for trespass and damages to claim your money back. The claim will be against Minerva Security Ltd and the Whitehall Square Management Company. I will help guide you through the process and suggest the wording that should be used.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797).
  • cmccracken888
    cmccracken888 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 August 2014 at 4:00PM
    Options
    I live at Whitehall Square and my car has been clamped... The sign in the foyer says 'repeat offenders' will be clamped - this is my first 'offence', as I only got my car last week and Monday was my first day using the car park.... I also had no way of knowing about the permits as the info got sent to my Landlord (I rent privately, no letting agency), and my Landlord lives in Kenya, so he didn't receive the info either as it got sent to his address in NI, not emailed! CSM are blaming my Landlord, my Landlord is blaming CSM and Minerva are having nothing to do with it and won't release my car unless the fee is paid... Someone please help me and tell me what I can do/what my rights are... I urgently NEED my car and I feel so helpless at the hands of the awful management company and Minerva. I knew nothing of this new permit and it looks like I'm going to be out money and I don't have my car either.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does it mention anything about car parking in your lease/rental agreement?

Edit, its usualy best to start a new thread for a new event
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • cmccracken888
    Options
    Yes, I get a car parking space with my flat - it's in the rental agreement.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok thats a good start, click here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=163 and add all the details including the rental agreement ( stating you have a parking space) plus if there is/isnt any mention of permits being required, is that space allocated? and the key phrase right to peaceful enjoyment of the property
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • s3rk
    Options
    SevenTowers, thanks for the advice note (I'm assuming it was you who left it).

My car was clamped yesterday and I paid the 'release fee' today. It's good to know I'm not the only one who intends to fight this. This evening I sent an email to Minerva, CSM and my property agent (I rent and have a car park space included in my lease). If they don't resolve this satisfactorily - and I mean a full refund to everyone who has paid - I will pursue the further. My experience of Minerva today tells me that they're nothing but hired thugs and will not return any money voluntarily.
  • SevenTowers
    Options
    I live at Whitehall Square and my car has been clamped... The sign in the foyer says 'repeat offenders' will be clamped - this is my first 'offence', as I only got my car last week and Monday was my first day using the car park.... I also had no way of knowing about the permits as the info got sent to my Landlord (I rent privately, no letting agency), and my Landlord lives in Kenya, so he didn't receive the info either as it got sent to his address in NI, not emailed! CSM are blaming my Landlord, my Landlord is blaming CSM and Minerva are having nothing to do with it and won't release my car unless the fee is paid... Someone please help me and tell me what I can do/what my rights are... I urgently NEED my car and I feel so helpless at the hands of the awful management company and Minerva. I knew nothing of this new permit and it looks like I'm going to be out money and I don't have my car either.

The first thing that you need to know is the space belongs to your landlord, and that you are using it with his full authority. The Management Company, The Management Agent and Minerva have absolutely no authority or right to dictate rules to your landlord, or to you, and Minerva have absolutely no right to trespass on your space and they are acting illegally by depriving you of the quiet enjoyment of your parking space, and your car.

If you pay any money to Minerva you will never see your money again, unless you take a court claim against them. This involves some work and should only be attempted as a last resort.

I would strongly advise that you call the PSNI, tell them that Minerva are attempting to extort money from you, they are acting illegally. As the average PSNI officer isn't the sharpest, you will need to spell out the situation to them. Tell them that it is just like living in a private estate where the management company may have the authority to clamp people on the roadways, but what happens on your private driveway is none of their business. Show them your lease that includes the parking space. Tell the Police that if they are not going to act to stop the illegal activities of the wheel clampers that you will be forced to bring in a locksmith to remove the clamp. Tell them that you will be making a complaint about their failure to act and that you will be making a court claim against Minerva for the cost of the locksmith. Also if the Police don't act tell them that you will be making a complaint to the Police Ombudsman.

Also contact your MLA and your MP

You need to be really assertive and don't let them palm you off. What Minerva are doing is trespassing, illegally clamping and extorting money. It is the job of the Police to sort this out and to Prosecute Minerva.
  • SevenTowers
    SevenTowers Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2014 at 11:35PM
    Options
    s3rk wrote: »
    SevenTowers, thanks for the advice note (I'm assuming it was you who left it).

My car was clamped yesterday and I paid the 'release fee' today. It's good to know I'm not the only one who intends to fight this. This evening I sent an email to Minerva, CSM and my property agent (I rent and have a car park space included in my lease). If they don't resolve this satisfactorily - and I mean a full refund to everyone who has paid - I will pursue the further. My experience of Minerva today tells me that they're nothing but hired thugs and will not return any money voluntarily.

Hi S3RK,
    I'm glad that you got the note and found the forum, and there will be others, please spread the word. The Whitehall Square Management Company and their agents CSM have brought a legal sh1tstorm upon themselves. I'm not at all surprised that you think Minerva are thugs, who else but thugs would carry out an extortion racket. I can assure you that they will not return one penny unless they are forced to by a court of law ruling. Even then, they will probably liquidate and phoenix to get out returning money.

The next thing you need to do is to report this as a crime, see my advice in other threads, don't let the police palm you off, be VERY assertive.

Come back to this forum daily, together we will formulate a plan, there will be many others who will join the forum when they get the message.

For information, I don't live in Whitehall Square, but as I am probably the most active member of this forum in NI, I was contacted by a Whitehall Square resident who was gravely concerned about what was happening, I will do everything I can to legally help you recover your money from the scumbags.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure