MSE News: Stolen mobile cap to protect users from 'shock bills'

"A cap on the maximum value of calls consumers will be expected to pay for if their mobile is stolen, is to be introduced..."
Read the full story:

Stolen mobile cap to protect users from 'shock bills'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hopefully this will encourage the networks to enable SIM PINs by default on all new SIM cards, as happens in many other countries. UK networks' current failure to do so is only slightly more irresponsible than the customers who fail to activate and change the SIM PIN themselves.

Imagine if debit and credit cards were similarly issued without a PIN and customers were expected to enable it. PIN-free operation is no more appropriate for SIM cards than it would be for debit and credit cards.
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Not much information on this, but I presume because the cap is proposed to be low, the standard, inform us within 24 hours won't apply, I'd expect it to be cut dramatically.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,264
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    NFH wrote: »
    Hopefully this will encourage the networks to enable SIM PINs by default on all new SIM cards, as happens in many other countries. UK networks' current failure to do so is only slightly more irresponsible than the customers who fail to activate and change the SIM PIN themselves.

Imagine if debit and credit cards were similarly issued without a PIN and customers were expected to enable it. PIN-free operation is no more appropriate for SIM cards than it would be for debit and credit cards.
    Exactly. Also on the phone - not a lot of point having a SIM PIN if the phone doesn't have a PIN/code pattern lock or some other form of protection.

I can see both SIMs and phones being issued with default PINs with a short timeout on the phone, and the networks citing "gross negligence" to get out of the £50 cap if someone removed their phone lock or set a long timeout (like banks would if someone wrote their PIN on their debit card).
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm interested in the detail of the mid term cancellation arrangements, as sadly you have always been allowed to leave a contract which has a fundamental change but up to now it has been a long winded process, it needs to have a clear cut immediate decision.
  • NFH
    Forumite
    boatman wrote: »
    I'm interested in the detail of the mid term cancellation arrangements, as sadly you have always been allowed to leave a contract which has a fundamental change but up to now it has been a long winded process, it needs to have a clear cut immediate decision.
    This will soon become largely irrelevant. If the European Commission gets its way, you'll be able to exit a contract after six months irrespective of any price increase. See Article 28(2) of this draft European directive.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2013 at 5:53PM
    boatman wrote: »

That part is not new it was announced in Oct 2013.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2013/10/protection-for-consumers-against-mid-contr...

BBC Coverage Here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24636682

It should come into affect from 23 January 2014. It'll apply to any new landline, broadband, and mobile contract, including bundled contracts in some cases, which begins after that date.

[
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    NFH wrote: »
    This will soon become largely irrelevant. If the European Commission gets its way, you'll be able to exit a contract after six months irrespective of any price increase. See Article 28(2) of this draft European directive.

Maybe. EU directives can only become laws in the member country if the member country enacts it into national law, while most countries do enact directive, not all do and not to the same extent, even if they do it may take years.

My guess is we'll simply see the mobile networks load more cost up front so where you had a £25 a month tariff it will become £30 and more of an upfront payment for the handset, and maybe we'll see the return of connection fee's on new contracts.
    If all the networks put up prices (as often seems to happen) it won't matter if you can leave it will the same price everywhere.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,264
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    gjchester wrote: »
    Maybe. EU directives can only become laws in the member country if the member country enacts it into national law, while most countries do enact directive, not all do and not to the same extent, even if they do it may take years.

My guess is we'll simply see the mobile networks load more cost up front so where you had a £25 a month tariff it will become £30 and more of an upfront payment for the handset, and maybe we'll see the return of connection fee's on new contracts.
    If all the networks put up prices (as often seems to happen) it won't matter if you can leave it will the same price everywhere.
    Of course they will. Hopefully it'll stop all the numpties who come on here asking "I've lost my job, can I get out of my contract and still keep my 'free' £400 phone".

If mobile operators want to carry on providing loans for people who want expensive phones but can't afford them, they should do it more honestly and buy into the likes of Wonga.
  • NFH
    Forumite
    gjchester wrote: »
    Not quite true. Most directives are required to be implemented into national law by a certain date. It's not a question of if, but when.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure