We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Real-life MMD: I've enough money not to work, so I give ALL my earnings to charity...

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 17 September 2013 at 7:49PM in MoneySaving polls
Here is this week's real life money moral dilemma sent in by one of our site users (if you have one email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] )

Money Moral Dilemma: I've enough money not to work, so I give ALL my earnings to charity. Should I quit my job and give other workers a chance?

I enjoy my well-paid job. However, as I live off a private family income, I don’t actually need to work, so I gift-aid my entire wage. Recently, the wages department accidentally let slip this to the entire firm. Now my co-workers say it's selfish of me to have a full-time job when I don't really need it, and that I’m depriving someone else of work. Should I give up my job to satisfy those who think it should go to someone who really needs it? Or do I carry on, knowing my wages are probably helping a great number of people in desperate need?

Click 'reply' to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carry on working if that is your desire, don't be ashamed. Give the money to me, I'll stop working, thus freeing up a job for an unemployed person. That's win-win all round for everyone.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    If you enjoy it then carry on with it. As my dad always says (and hes 72 now) he won't give up work as not having a structure or something to do will kill him. It helps socially and emotionally and what you do with your money has no impact on anyone else
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Wossit
    Options
    Work isn't just about money....you work for your own reasons.
  • ooogemaflop
    Options
    you may find you want to leave soon anyway now you co workers are on your case. Why not start your own business and employ someone yourself
  • joeyp
    joeyp Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you should carry on. I hardly think that you giving up your job is going to solve the country's employment problem!

You co-workers really should butt out and the wages department need a kick up the backside!
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    I can't understand their point, even if you weren't donating to charities.

I fail to see how donating all your salary to charity could be considered selfish. I think it's a case of the green-eyed monster creeping in. I wonder how many of your colleagues waste big chunks of their salaries on things they don't really need. Perhaps those who smoke could go part-time, not earn that money that will effectively be wasted, and let an unemployed person do those 10 or so hours a week.

I would consider what you're doing to be the same as working in a charity shop.
  • ziggy2004
    Options
    Keep working! Work is about so much more than money and for someone to say you are being selfish by giving your entire earnings away to charity is just plain daft. Sounds more like they are jealous that you are in a position where you could simply walk if you do not like it anymore.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you have every right to continue working. Perhaps one day, if the time is right, you could switch to part time or full time charity /voluntary work. But it's nobody's business what you do with your income.
  • alixandrea
    Options
    Wow, what a question! Obviously it was very unprofessional of HR to let slip your information, but that's by the by now. Are you able to live comfortably on your family income, with enough to also donate to charity? Could you possibly stop working at your current job and instead volunteer somewhere where you'll make a more direct impact on people's lives? This could be an opportunity for you to volunteer abroad maybe, to travel the world while making a difference.

It sounds to me like you have a lot of opportunities in this situation that you might not have considered. I wish you the very best of luck deciding! :-)

Alixandrea
  • pjsmiffy
    Options
    Its the lottery win situation....

Its not really a finance issue but more a mental health issue (Yours)

Personally I fear not being able to work through heath issues thus going stir crazy from not having contact with others or routine.

My father had the same problem post retirement so took up volunteering.

Quite frankly stepping down so someone else can take your job shouldn't enter into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport