🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Great 'What's the best currency to take to Turkey, Israel, Laos, and more?' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 2 July 2013 at 5:00PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Great 'What's the best currency to take to Turkey, Israel, Laos, and more?' Hunt

The local currency isn't best in every country. So if you travel abroad regularly, we'd like to know which countries you found you were better off taking dollars, pounds or euros to, so we can collect the info.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

View all past Great Hunts .

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    in israel take sheqel

some very rare places will accept USD no gbp and no euros

have not tried jerusalem though mainly tel aviv and haifa hadera all around that area
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • saversfriend
    saversfriend Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everywhere I went in Israel accepted US dollars. Most places took UK pounds too. There were less shops with card facilities compared to UK.
  • JBx2
    JBx2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Take US$ to Laos - take small denominations $1 and $5 notes are best. Get local currency when there but we only needed it in small markets so just change a little at a time. You cannot get Kip outside of Laos as it is a soft (non traded) currency. You can also use Thai Baht in Vientiane and Luang Prabang possibly other places too.In Istanbul a couple of weeks ago and used Turkish Lira - we used public transport so definitely needed Lira but we paid our hotel bill in €! All our shopping and eats were paid in Lira. Saw someone try to pay in US$ in a cafe near the Blue Mosque and it was a nightmare for them.
  • bluekp
    bluekp Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    We were advised to take USD to Vietnam, however on arriving we discovered that on the whole they only take VND.

In Cambodia however, you use the USD everywhere.
    Debt at Highest: £11,630.10 (May 2006) Debt now: £0.00 !!!!
    Married to the man of my dreams :A - Sat 2nd June 2007
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,630 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Euros were wanted in a lot of shops in Turkey in preference to the local currency, alternatively UK pounds.

Local currency was needed for small shops and markets.

Denise
  • katyboo123
    katyboo123 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    When we went to Turkey (we went two consecutive years to Icmeler) they wanted sterling...

We tipped in coins and they LOVED us for it. we also exchanged our money the second time in the hotel, because the first time we'd exchanged it here and got a rubbish exchange rate compared to what they offered in the hotel in Turkey.

But, we used local currency when we were out and about and found that completely acceptable - especially in the markets where they just want hard and fast cash. Most restaurants are priced in TL too, so we just used that! :)

HTH someone
  • ripongrammargirl
    Options
    Much confusion over whether Mexico takes their own currency or US dollars. Travel agent can't advise (a lot of use they are!) and reviews on websites are so mixed it's impossible to know for sure. Correct info, anyone???
  • moonjooce
    moonjooce Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Russia anyone? I've heard USD are best but not sure.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    US Dollars are the thing to have in Argentina - the locals are desperate for them as it's very difficult to exchange Pesos these days.

Last time I was there, shops would accept dollars at a preferential rate - the restrictions are tighter now so I'm not sure if that still happens. If you're prepared to take the risk, you can easily sell them to private individuals. Google "blue dollar" for details of the current situation.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • nadirnwo
    nadirnwo Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    In Laos as I write. Dollar is king! You actually loose abit changing pounds. However, I have a Metrobank debit card and it gives me much better rates taking cash out at the ATM rather than going to the money exchange.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport