Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Would you go to a concert on your own? (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Would you go to a concert on your own?
Views: 3,693
# 41
Saturnalia
Old 24-02-2013, 4:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yep, Funky Bold Ribena is right (and s/he has the coolest username!). I can't quite picture Beyonce fans being the rowdy moshing & headbanging types!

I chatted to my housemate who often goes to metal gigs by herself and she says she's always felt safe there. She says the night bus home from work is scarier than being in a crowd of metal-heads.
Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturnalia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
gunsandbanjos
Old 24-02-2013, 4:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I went to see the Rolling Stones on my own when I was 18 as none of my friends were into them. I had a great time.

Travelled to London (from Edinburgh) on my own last year to see Richie Sambora in concert.

I'm going to see Bon Jovi on my own in July and I can't wait
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Last edited by gunsandbanjos; 24-02-2013 at 5:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gunsandbanjos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
cinderfella
Old 24-02-2013, 5:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The world has gone mad - 150 for a pop concert gig.
Ryanair have got cheap April flights - go to a European city for a weekend for 150 & edificate yourself.
A gig - a shocking waste of money OMG !!!
# 44
miss_independent
Old 24-02-2013, 5:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderfella View Post
The world has gone mad - 150 for a pop concert gig.
Ryanair have got cheap April flights - go to a European city for a weekend for 150 & edificate yourself.
A gig - a shocking waste of money OMG !!!
With all due respect, I don't feel that anyone has the right to tell me how to spend my money. I've travelled as much as I want to and I spend a lot of time on self-improvement and continuing education. However, for one night I want to get dressed up, see a global superstar who I believe is one of the finest performers of my generation and ...go crazy doing the Single Ladies Dance like a madwoman along with a few thousand other people. IMHO, for me, its not a waste of money.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miss_independent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
cinderfella
Old 24-02-2013, 5:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

fair enough - I am just an old git from a bygone generation.

-Have a great time-
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderfella For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
miss_independent
Old 24-02-2013, 5:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderfella View Post
fair enough - I am just an old git from a bygone generation.

Have a great time-

I will if can get a ticket
# 47
Funky Bold Ribena
Old 24-02-2013, 5:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_independent View Post
With all due respect, I don't feel that anyone has the right to tell me how to spend my money. I've travelled as much as I want to and I spend a lot of time on self-improvement and continuing education. However, for one night I want to get dressed up, see a global superstar who I believe is one of the finest performers of my generation and ...go crazy doing the Single Ladies Dance like a madwoman along with a few thousand other people. IMHO, for me, its not a waste of money.

It takes all sorts...
Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
# 48
miss_independent
Old 24-02-2013, 5:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bold Ribena View Post

It takes all sorts...
If we all had the same tastes the world would be a boring place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss_independent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
Funky Bold Ribena
Old 24-02-2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
If we all had the same tastes the world would be a boring place.
Indeed - and talking of boring places - have you managed to get a ticket yet?
# 50
jahlboy
Old 24-02-2013, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Gosh yes I'd go in a flash!!

I think a lot of bands tend to have a lovely fan base and you are with like minded people.

We went to see Guns n Roses a few years ago and it was AMAZING in the extreme.. there were a couple of knobs who were promptly ousted but we befriended a 15 y/o who had gone alone.. lovely lad..

I'd probably enjoy going on my own more TBH.. I always feel a bit 'restricted' in being myself when I am with others... I could dance and scream and sing REALLY loud on my own!
The same happened to my Son when he was 15 and went to see Nicki Minaj last year - I can't stand her (neither can his friends!) but appreciate that he liked her so he decided to go on his own, out of his own choice!

If it's the O2 in London you're on about then every show I've been to there, people are friendly, and if not, are too interested in their own business to notice! I find it acceptable, not everyone has the same interests and why should you not have fun because your friend doesn't want to?! Only if you're comfortable with it though!

And regarding the streetwise bit - I went to see Beyonce back in 2009 with my Son and was scared to death that it would be filled with gangsters and we'd get robbed because of the genre of music - much the opposite - it was mostly people like you, so there's nothing to be afraid of in that aspect!

If you've never been to the O2 before, the tubes always run, although big queues after the shows, and there are lots of stewards around should you need help! And a taxi booking service, which I think is quite expensive, but there should you need it if tubes are on strike (I doubt/hope they won't be as I'm going to the Saturday night show!)
The Following User Says Thank You to jahlboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
gunsandbanjos
Old 24-02-2013, 6:24 PM

I think the crowd at beyonces gigs will mostly be 20 something girls and gay men (I have several gay friends who are raging at not being able to get tickets!) so you'll be quite safe I imagine.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunsandbanjos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
miss_independent
Old 24-02-2013, 6:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahlboy View Post
The same happened to my Son when he was 15 and went to see Nicki Minaj last year - I can't stand her (neither can his friends!) but appreciate that he liked her so he decided to go on his own, out of his own choice!

If it's the O2 in London you're on about then every show I've been to there, people are friendly, and if not, are too interested in their own business to notice! I find it acceptable, not everyone has the same interests and why should you not have fun because your friend doesn't want to?! Only if you're comfortable with it though!

And regarding the streetwise bit - I went to see Beyonce back in 2009 with my Son and was scared to death that it would be filled with gangsters and we'd get robbed because of the genre of music - much the opposite - it was mostly people like you, so there's nothing to be afraid of in that aspect!

If you've never been to the O2 before, the tubes always run, although big queues after the shows, and there are lots of stewards around should you need help! And a taxi booking service, which I think is quite expensive, but there should you need it if tubes are on strike (I doubt/hope they won't be as I'm going to the Saturday night show!)
Thanks, its not the O2. I was trying for Birmingham or Manchester. Looking at it tonight, I could get a legit ticket for Paris and fly/stay there cheaper than a black market ticket for here. I'm only going if I can get a legit ticket so........looks like I'm not going unless I can win a ticket or something.

Hope you have a great time!
# 53
Funky Bold Ribena
Old 24-02-2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks, its not the O2. I was trying for Birmingham or Manchester. Looking at it tonight, I could get a legit ticket for Paris and fly/stay there cheaper than a black market ticket for here. I'm only going if I can get a legit ticket so........looks like I'm not going unless I can win a ticket or something.

Hope you have a great time!
So...go to Paris then!
# 54
Sneezy
Old 24-02-2013, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Go for it, consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity - when will you get another chance to do?

I've been to a good few concerts on my own (the first when I was 18 in Manchester) and definitely don't consider it weird (I'm 26 so a similar age to you).

Last year I went on holiday for 2 weeks which was strange (I'd done long weekends which had been fine).
Using my phone to post - apologies in advance for any typos
# 55
WolfSong2000
Old 24-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If it was any city other than Paris I'd say go for it (but that's only because I had a bad experience in that city). Heck, one of the first concerts (I was 19/20 ish) I went on my own to was in Las Vegas - saw a country/rock band called Big & Rich. Good times . I didn't know anyone before I went but managed to make loads of friends, many of whom I am still really, really close to. First concerts on my own were, I think, ones in Nashville, TN, when I was 18 and on my gap year...again, knew no one, but had an absolute blast. And yes, I am a country music fan - which is why I can't judge someone who likes Beyonce, even though there's no appeal there for me...everyone's different - accept it and celebrate it .

But yeah...going to concerts on your own is great. People in the UK tend to be more reserved than those in the USA, but at the end of the day, you're all going to see an artist you like - and that's a great conversation starter!
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfSong2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
duchy
Old 25-02-2013, 12:06 AM

So why NOT go to Paris .......do the show and do the educational /improvement bit the next day with a bit of sightseeing.... Paris is not my favourite city in the world but it has more to offer than Birmingham (IMO)

Also check to see where the Beyonce fans hang out online -bound to be a FB group or a forum attached to her official website -they may have good leads for tickets .
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole
[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
The Following User Says Thank You to duchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
miss_independent
Old 25-02-2013, 8:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I should probably point out right now that Paris isn't an option as I don't get back in the UK until May! And Beyonce doesn't come to the US until after I get back to the UK . Otherwise, I would have done Paris (been before, like it).
The Following User Says Thank You to miss_independent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
miss_independent
Old 25-02-2013, 8:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSong2000 View Post

But yeah...going to concerts on your own is great. People in the UK tend to be more reserved than those in the USA, but at the end of the day, you're all going to see an artist you like - and that's a great conversation starter!
This is very true, I couldn't believe the reaction actors and actresses get the moment they just step on stage at the theatre in the US. Here in the UK we wait for them to prove themselves (and make it worth our money!) first. And, from my experience, if you are sitting/standing next to someone in the US and you DON'T speak to them/make small talk - it is often considered discourteous. Its the opposite of London life lol!
# 59
Hermia
Old 25-02-2013, 9:27 AM

Quote:
This is very true, I couldn't believe the reaction actors and actresses get the moment they just step on stage at the theatre in the US. Here in the UK we wait for them to prove themselves (and make it worth our money!) first.
Yes! I found that really weird, especially as makes it harder to suspend your disbelief when every actor has to pause when s/he comes on to wait for the applause to die down. I saw a couple of terrible plays where the actors seemed bored in New York and the audience were whooping and cheering like mad. Very odd.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
Hermia
Old 25-02-2013, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panagia View Post
In principle I don't see why not, but I know what you mean, you don't want to be sitting/standing there looking like Nelly No-Mates
Who cares what others think. TBH if someone makes that assumption about you it says more about them than you. I have odd taste in music so have gone to gigs alone. It's fine. You will spend the interval queuing for the loo or the bar so it's not like you will spend a lot of time looking awkward on your own. I like to just people watch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermia For This Useful Post: Show me >>