🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'Dads: what would you like for Xmas?' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 11 December 2012 at 5:54PM in MoneySaving dads
Great 'Dads: what would you like for Xmas?' Hunt

Dads are notoriously difficult to buy for - ask Mrs MSE and 6 week old MSE Junior. So, Dads, here's your chance to get something other than socks and fancy-looking jam...

View all past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    We used to spend weeks watching my father, listening intently to every word, & just as we got an 'A-ha' for a gift idea......he'd go buy it himself :doh:

The Offspring are pondering possible prezzies for their paternal parent, so I'll be watching the thread with interest but some past gifts that were very well received included:-
    a/ A sandwich sized snack box filled with a couple of emery boards, few plasters, one of those pocket sized hand gel thingies, a little nail brush to use as an emergency clothes brush, packet of tissues, some peppermints & a strip of headache tablets. He could leave that in the boot of the car he drove for work.
    b/ A selection of the mini bottles of wine--about £1:50 at the time or X for Y amount--& a voucher to get some more of the one/s he liked best.
    c/ A diary with the important dates filled in! eg family birthdays :rotfl:

HTH someone, & I'll definitely be back to gather ideas for my lot :D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• penny_saver
    Options
    If your husband/dad is a DIY enthusiast and spends hours in the garage or shed (in my case, barn) if he's got no music, a Makita site radio is a nice gift albeit a bit expensive. You can hook an iPod up to it as well. Just got one for my hubby and it's nice and robust so perfect for using outside generally in the summer rather than risking taking out the delicate interior stuff.
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'd settle for some peace and quiet if I'm being honest. Bah humbug! :D
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My kids are at Uni, so I miss them lots! For Christmas I'd like a recycled advent calendar with pictures of them inside, not to count down to Christmas, but to count down to the day they come home for next year.
    Oh, and a hug would be good!
    (Dads don't need expensive gifts, as BigMummaF found out, if there's something we want we go and get it.)
  • rhavern
    Options
    Now that my kids are older, I've said no more socks, ties or underwear. I've hinted around several decent quality (~£30 a bottle) types of sipping bourbon. Now three times a year, birthday, father's day and christmas I get a present I really want and am truly thankful for. :D My youngest showed creativity, went and found a good bourbon I hadn't tried before. It was excellent and there was much rejoicing.
  • mandatory
    Options
    My dad loves cooking and cooks for all of his friends, even weddings sometimes, so to save him some time I bought him a Kenwood food processor. He'll love it when he opens it (I hope!). :)
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My father-in-law has recently had to take over all the cooking and shopping due to progressive dementia of my mother-in-law. He loves Haynes manuals having always maintained his own cars until recently. He claims not to want anything for Christmas, but this is what I have got him.

51g1FDYJRXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • irlandaise
    Options
    It's becoming extortionate to post anything to my folks back home so I would tend to order things online that can be delivered there (and that dad can share with mum): hamper, voucher for a B&B night away. Ebay is also great for collectors' items (stamps, postcards...).

A few presents that were also a hit with hubby :
    - vintage shaving mirror and cream from Ebay
    - subscription to Private Eye
    - "Life on Mars pack": dvd, Philip Glenister book on the 70's, favorite "vintage" sweets
    - RSPB subscription (bit of fan of those!) and bird house
    - Italian food cookery course. He's so proud he can make fresh pastas now I am getting him a pasta maker and the Two Greedy Italians book (bought from the discount book shop) :)

Hope this helps!
  • ForkHandles_2
    Options
    Rather than receiving cheap socks, pants or a presentation box of aftershave/deodorant, I'd be happy with a bottle of wine or maybe an 'interesting' bottle of beer.
  • want2Bdebtfree
    Options
    Gra76 wrote: »
    I'd settle for some peace and quiet if I'm being honest. Bah humbug! :D

My father used to say " all I want is a little bit of peace and quiet" so one year I wrapped up a box with nothing in it except a pice of paper which I had typed " This is your very own bit of peace and quiet". He still talked about it years later!!!
    PayPal £247.62 Amazon £495.80 cheque £62.41 Love2Shop £90 Bank Transfer £190 Nectar points £55.00 eMasterCard £600
    From:- Swagbucks, Valued Opinions, inbox pounds, Quidco, Royal Mail survey,YouGov, e-rewards,IPOS I-Say, Insite Consulting, Toluna UK, People for research :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport