IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Multifuel or Wood burning stove
Views: 74,674
# 21
Fishingtime
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default adding coal to wood

When we moved into this house in june.
A wood burning stove was already in, my question is (and i have tried to find the answear here )
I know that I can't burn just coal because we have no grate,but can I add a few bits to the burning wood.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
Poppycat
Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes

My multi stove takes coal and wood. Wood can be logs or pieces of wood, but bare in mind small pieces of wood like wood from pallets burns very quickly and can give off alot of heat

The Following User Says Thank You to Poppycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
waj1234
Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It's best to use coke or similar rather than coal though as its too dirty really coal. That is what I was told by the installer of my stove anyhow.
The Following User Says Thank You to waj1234 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
dasilva67
Old 09-10-2008, 9:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Woodburners rock !!

I love my little woodburner. Best thing I did in this house ....
It is a Morso O2 ...the smallest one they do but powerful enough to heat our living room to a good toasty level. Couldn't wait to see the back of the old gas fire ... was about as ugly as Andrew Lloyd Webber.
We burn a mixture of wood and coal (furnacite briquettes) and it works really well. The beaty of the wood burner compared with an open fire is that you can turn the air flow right down so it just gently glows althogh still kicking out loads of heat.
We bought from Dinghams in Winchester and they were excellent. Thet did a smoke test in the chimney and then told us we would not need the £800 or so we had budgeted for the liner !
I'm sure that we have used our gas central heating a lot less since having the wood burner.

Go and buy one !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dasilva67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
paceinternet
Old 24-02-2010, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Anti virus doesn't like that site. What is your involvement and can you fix it?
# 26
w50nky
Old 24-02-2010, 4:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovesandchimnmeys View Post
Hi everyone… I just wanted to share this site with you which I came across. It is recommended by FASA and HETAS approved stove retailers and enables you to create a wishlist of stoves and get info and price information from a range of local stove retailers. I’ve just bought a Jotul wood burning stove through this site. They are incredibly helpful and help you shop around for the best price. I would urge you to use them f you are consiering buying a multi fuel or wood stove and they give great advice on some of the ‘rougue’ online sellers of stoves. Go and check it out.

BEST AVOID THIS SITE AS VIRUS CHECKER GOES MAD!!!!!!!

Dont know if its legit or not but be very carefull.
# 27
swann
Old 08-03-2010, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Morso multifuel

We installed a morso squirrel, great little multi fuel stove. We bought the stove, liner and all the other bits and bobs from firesonline.co.uk. I chose multi fuel so we can have 2 or 3 lumps of coal burning away in the bottom to quickly ignite new logs. Check out homefire ovals these burn really well.
# 28
pinkmami
Old 08-03-2010, 6:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm in the process of having my inglenook renovated & its been cleared out, hacked, sandblasted & old floor removed, hardcore down & a new concrete floor. Today I bought the slate tiles (unfortunately not Welsh slate, too expensive!) & they'll be fitted hopefully at the start of next week. Fire board is also up so just the stove (Charnwood Country 8 multifuel) to be installed. I chose a local chap who's HETAS registered & they do the lot for me. My job will cost about £3500 all in all.
# 29
Jennip37
Old 29-08-2010, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, we have just had a firefox 8 installed in our conservatory with a flue system as there is no chimney (£1700 inc. stove). Our conservatory is usually 4*C above the outside temp and our installer assures us this stove is going to be roasting! We took advice from a fire place showroom first and then looked elsewhere for a better installation price (saved £2k!!) We are planning on burning coal at least overnight so that the stove is always on because our conservatory is open plan to the kitchen and is used as a playroom.

We have an open fire in the lounge but to be honest I agree with the comment about most of the heat going up the chimney. I usually have both rads. in the room on at the same time.

Back to the firefox 8. My installer has installed loads and although they are cheap he says there is nothing wrong with them infact when he and his buddy were moving it into place he commented on how heavy it was compared to larger more expensive models. That's not to say heavier is better but I'll keep you posted. Had to look out my slippers tonight so won't be long til the stove is fired up!!!!
# 30
hawaiisteve_o
Old 22-12-2010, 11:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi all,

I'n thinking of installing a wood buriung stove or multi fuel burner to replace my open fire. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their open fire with a wood / multi fuel burner stove and were able to incorporate their open fire backboiler with the stove?

If so was it difficult / expensive and by how much?
# 31
crphillips
Old 22-12-2010, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi there,

You'll not be bale to incorporate the back boiler from the open fire with a stove installation. You'd need to buy a dedicated boiler stove.
# 32
suecoo66
Old 09-12-2012, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to suecoo66
Default Wood burning stove

I've recently been considering buying a wood burning stove but haven't got a clue where to start. Had a look on the Stovesrus site and saw some nice ones on there but how much will it cost me to have it installed ? I have no chimney and live in a bungalow. I currently have a gas fire on the wall, one of them modern ones that look like a plasma screen but with the price of gas I think I'd rather have a wood burner.
# 33
muckybutt
Old 09-12-2012, 6:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

In all honesty gas will be the cheaper option!

From your post I take it you dont have a chimney so you will need an external twin wall flue at a cost of roughly 800 - 1000 + fitting.
Then you want a stove, a good quality steel stove to last will be in the 800 - 2000 range again + fitting.
then you want your wood - ok if you can source good quality free dry wood if not factor in approx 60 - 100 per month for a delivery of kiln dried wood.

Possibly not what you wanted to hear, many people would love a real fire but if you have gas then stick with it as it is the cheaper option.
You can click the Thanks button if you want
The Following User Says Thank You to muckybutt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
Swipe
Old 09-12-2012, 6:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd swap my stove for gas central heating at the drop of a hat
# 35
Leif
Old 09-12-2012, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecoo66 View Post
I've recently been considering buying a wood burning stove but haven't got a clue where to start. Had a look on the Stovesrus site and saw some nice ones on there but how much will it cost me to have it installed ? I have no chimney and live in a bungalow. I currently have a gas fire on the wall, one of them modern ones that look like a plasma screen but with the price of gas I think I'd rather have a wood burner.
What mucky said. I paid about £1700 for a 5kW stove, liner and hearth, and many quotes were a lot higher. Then there is the problem of getting wood. Most is not dry enough, so you'll have to store it for a year or two. Wood that is kiln dried is not cheap. I live in a rural area and I have found a local tree surgeon who sells logs at a decent price, but they are not fully seasoned, and need to be stored, although that does not stop the local brewery burning them straight away.
# 36
savingmonkey
Old 09-12-2012, 9:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We had our multifuel stove installed about 5 years ago now and we love it, really heats the room and looks great.

There are lots of costs to consider e.g. fuel, hearth and all the accessories, this site will give you a good idea of costs: http://stoveaccessories.co.uk/
# 37
suki1964
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
I'd swap my stove for gas central heating at the drop of a hat
Cost wise - Im with you

But I have grown to love my stoves and even enjoy the cleaning, the filling of the coal scuttles and even the general mess that that they bring
if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

Norn iron no 314
The Following User Says Thank You to suki1964 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
smunchkinp
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I adore my multi fuel stove, Its older than dirt and throws out so much heat that on occasion we have to open the loft hatch to cool the house a little. But i can cook more or less anything i want on top of it.

We manage to obtain free wood and use only the bare minimum of smokeless coal. But to give those an idea of possible savings,
Winter 2010 gas bill £348.00
Winter 2011 gas bill £97.30
Mortgage deposit fund: £4000
£2012 in 2012 challenge #121: £2491.23/£2012
# 39
peterpan567
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i would definitely go for multifuel stove, we bought this one, was quite cheap just a little above £300 and does the job, its not some chinese fake and you are not limited with one fuel type only. cheers
# 40
Leif
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM

You meant here:

http://www.westcountryfires.co.uk/ga...ery-p-122.html

Online sources suggest it is made in China.