Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Greenfingered MoneySaving > Daydream thread continues..... (Page 312)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Daydream thread continues.....
Views: 290,191
# 6221
Itismehonest
Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by choille View Post
I think with builders it says a lot if they've been builders for a few decades at least. The best ones are ones who have always been builders & not just started up a few years or worse a few months back. Experience is all. Also ones who are busy are usually ones that are good. Recommendations by locals is a good thing to go with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK View Post
Rozee I went to one of the well known local builders for a quote and advice etc, and i didnt like his attitude and advice when it came to doing owrk at the ranch... but yet he has been doing it for years.

There is also another way of looking at it, if you employ a local to do your work, then if there is a clash of personalities, or if you are not happy with their work etc, then being a close knit community, and you not being a local yourself, then you could end up with some gossip going round the village etc..
Both points I'd make.

Our builders were on the 2nd/3rd generation of the family business.

As with all country areas there's the ever present 'you're either with us or against us' which can take a while for newcomers to sort out.
Before taking advice you need to know the half of the locals that are related to the builders & the rest who are either related to a competitor or have an ongoing vendetta with your chosen lot.
Also, it pays to see & speak to people who have lived with the finished building work for some time - another reason not to pick people new to an area. No reflection intended on LIR's builders (who I'm sure will be great) but I've known people who've raved about builders while they were on site to find that the work wasn't as good as thought at a later date.

Quote:
Really cold old day with the sun now not hitting the croft so really makes a chilling difference.

My beautiful Cross Shetland Tear - she is like a huge Shetland with a dark tear shaped mark below one eye. She has/had silly bud horns. She's knocked one off ( this is a common problem) at the trough & there was blood everywhere. Not a lot I can do but check it tomorrow. They do seem to bleed badly. Less worrying now rather than in the Summer when there's loads of flies about.
Used to have the same problem with goats, choille.
I think head wounds bleed profusely, even on humans, so it always looks worse than it is.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Itismehonest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6222
rhiwfield
Old 06-12-2012, 6:26 PM

Don't know whether it was rain then freeze or a shower falling on frozen ground but people were slip-sliding and falling this morning on frozen paths and pavements.

With official crimble coming, queues at the PO are getting silly, and made no better when we take our usual 10 or so parcels to the counter. Its getting so I can feel the hate from the queue behind us, even though we queue with the rest

But as one of the PO ladies remarks when we finally reach the counter "thank goodness for someone who knows what they are doing". Usually just after some old dear/bloke spends ten minutes discussing the options of sending a package to Australia

Ah well, DW down with heavy cold so I dont think we'll be venturing out tomorrow (sorry CTC, we'll be there before long, but DW got pneumonia last year from ignoring her health and I'm not going to let her be daft this year)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rhiwfield For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6223
alfie 1
Old 06-12-2012, 7:07 PM

hi all

coldy coldy coldy here !!

my fuel arrived...

im off out on the razzle tonite to see band...alabama 3 [for CTC to google ]

tomorow is out for me CTC....got to wait in for this pain in the butt bayers courier.. she gives me NO notice...
just got her email...

ive had temp fix on toof
got extra work coming at me from all angles they know i need the dosh for crimble... just got to fit it all in

got big dog coming to stay for 2 weeks NEXT weekend whilst owners in mauritius...

im sat here with a colour on my hair so best get it off before i end up like a clown...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to alfie 1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6224
Davesnave
Old 06-12-2012, 7:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes, it was a bit slippery this morning and nothing un-froze until around lunchtime here.

I didn't have a very productive day, although I got a bit more wiring done. Even in the poly, it was a rather chilly 6C under the grey skies.

Never mind, I got Screwfix to agree to replace the electric chain saw I bought two months ago, which began smoking after 30 minutes, thanks to a chain oiler that didn't. Otherwise, I was happy with it. It was cheap.

Nevertheless, it beats me how they can produce a 16 page manual and fail to mention the gauge or the pitch of the chain! I'd say that was essential info for sharpening. They couldn't say why the info wasn't there, or why the chain supplied is already redundant from Oregon's POV.
Remember that you're unique....just like everyone else.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6225
COOLTRIKERCHICK
Old 06-12-2012, 7:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to COOLTRIKERCHICK

Rhiwie, no problem, hope DW will be ok,

Alfie.. no worries about tomorrow, with eldest being 18 tomorrow, and him going out around the pubs, I dont think i would have been good company, will be on tender hooks all night

Seen Alabama 3 a few years back in the bulldog bash , good band, hubby thought they were ok, but not his cup of tea...
daydream fund total ..........not enough....lol...
PAD ....SO FAR 349.07 (24-3-14)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to COOLTRIKERCHICK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6226
Rummer
Old 06-12-2012, 9:35 PM

It was very cold and slippy here today and I am glad that I do not have to venture out tomorrow as I gather it is to be just as cold I am having trouble with condensation in my car and it takes me as long to scrape the inside as the outside

I really should get myself into action and get the pressie wrapped and the tree up but I am feeling decidedly unfestive which is not like me at all

After having a good think about the garden I spoke to my OH and he agreed with all the things I suggested apart from the moving of the raspberries as he feels that we have just started to get a good crop from them and thinks that moving them would ruin that.
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rummer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6227
choille
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM

I think it's about the 15th January.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinrates View Post
Choille

Do you kno w yet when the sun returns for choille day this spring? I am wondering if I can plan some pruning just right for a bonfire of nice things.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to choille For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6228
choille
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Rhiwfield - Hope Mrs Rhiwfield is feeling better. I got a pneumonia type vaccine jag at the docs today as advised to - lasts 10 years. Might be worth considering.

Dave we are looking for an electric chain saw - would you recommend the Screwfix one?

It's inky black here & raining - so a thaw looks on the cards....Maybe we can venture across country tomorrow.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to choille For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6229
Alexelisey
Old 07-12-2012, 6:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Christmas decs and trees up here - one large, one small. Present buying has commenced in a small way.

Estate agents have been in (yesterday).

More news next week

Keep warm and safe, everyone!
Smallholding by 45... but 44 would be better!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Alexelisey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6230
Davesnave
Old 07-12-2012, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Dave we are looking for an electric chain saw - would you recommend the Screwfix one?.
Not really. The advantage is that it has a 2 year guarantee, but there's no servicing, spares etc. Basically, Screwfix will just give you a new one if you complain that it's broken. That's fine if you just want to pay around 60 to see how much use it will be, as I did. I wouldn't expect it to last longer than 2 years anyway, though it might.

If you want one that will have spares availability and still be relatively cheap, then look for a Makita. Their 3520 is around 110 and the 3530 is about 175. Spares by post are possible with those.

I know Stihl also do electrics, but they probably won't be that cheap. What do the dealers in your area stock?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6231
COOLTRIKERCHICK
Old 07-12-2012, 8:39 AM

This time 18 years ago I was in labour

where has the time gone It seems like as though it never excisted as its gone so quick...

I am on my own tonight for a while, as eldest is going out, youngest has a gig in town, so hubby will be going, so I think I will be having a little sob to myself, and a bit of a panick wondering if eldest is ok..

I know I shouldnt be so protective and allow them to grow up, As I shouldnt talk, knowing what i got up to and done in my time, but I know what can happen.

Not as cold this morning...Yesturday was bitterly cold, couldnt warm up at all.

we bought an electric chainsaw from the auction... for a few quid, it was a gamble, but for the price it went for it was worth it... that was a few years ago.. still going strong...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to COOLTRIKERCHICK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6232
alfie 1
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK View Post
Rhiwie, no problem, hope DW will be ok,

Alfie.. no worries about tomorrow, with eldest being 18 tomorrow, and him going out around the pubs, I dont think i would have been good company, will be on tender hooks all night

Seen Alabama 3 a few years back in the bulldog bash , good band, hubby thought they were ok, but not his cup of tea...
well ,either im getting old/suffering memory loss but they were not that good this time... looked like my dad and his mates on stage ...
the base was so booming you couldnt hear the guitars or thier voices... me finks a bit of a cover up there...

we left and whizzed home talking fish and chips ...

i am sat waiting for a driver to collect...rang company...prob tomorow morning now

SO I AM GOING OUT.... got to get feed....

hope you are all snug... peed down with cold cold rain here last night...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to alfie 1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6233
COOLTRIKERCHICK
Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM

it could be the sound guys not doing a good job...alfie....

or maybe they are living off their past..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to COOLTRIKERCHICK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6234
Davesnave
Old 07-12-2012, 2:26 PM

Go on, not all bands are over the hill at my age, or beyond. Look at the Stones last week, the Who at Glasto in 2007, or Paul McCartney at the......Oh, hang on!....

Just sourced tyres for the car here in the back end of nowhere fully fitted for less than I was being quoted from the big chains, and that would be driving 20 miles to get to them. Tisn't always dearer in the country m'dears!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6235
lostinrates
Old 07-12-2012, 2:28 PM

Dog dog's splint is off early! Hurrah!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6236
Rummer
Old 07-12-2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinrates View Post
Dog dog's splint is off early! Hurrah!
Great news!
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rummer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6237
alfie 1
Old 07-12-2012, 4:21 PM

Brrrrrrrrrrr... im freezing. i just cannot get warm !! got fire on, CH on and im still shivering ? hope im not getting a chill...

my poor van struggled with all the sacks of feed i got ... stock for me, stock for hoss's im minding and mega stock for friend...
plus coal

thought id get loads so's i dont get caught out if this freeze/snow happens...

i am going to try some more baying...is it a freebie this weekend anyone ????

got to go out again now, back later no doubt peeps

brill news re dog LIR
# 6238
COOLTRIKERCHICK
Old 07-12-2012, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie 1 View Post
Brrrrrrrrrrr... im freezing. i just cannot get warm !! got fire on, CH on and im still shivering ? hope im not getting a chill...

my poor van struggled with all the sacks of feed i got ... stock for me, stock for hoss's im minding and mega stock for friend...
plus coal

thought id get loads so's i dont get caught out if this freeze/snow happens...

i am going to try some more baying...is it a freebie this weekend anyone ????

got to go out again now, back later no doubt peeps

brill news re dog LIR

yep free listing this weekend Alfie... I have done some listings ready.... Rhiwie 'inspired' ( well booted me up the butt) by listing his y fronts

Hope you will be ok Alfie... just cuddle up on the sofa with a nice warm blanket...and a nice cup of hot chocolate or tea
# 6239
Davesnave
Old 07-12-2012, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie 1 View Post
Do take it steady, if you can. Take CTC's good advice.
(Oh and don't look at next week's weather forecast! )

Glad dog has mended well, lir. Can't you fit her with a limiter? I think someone has fitted one to me today, as I don't seem to have achieved much.

I agree with hubby, Rummer. Leave the rasps for now, and if you want to move them, grow some suckers on so that you don't have a break in the cropping.

Alex, did you get a feel for which agent you want to go with? It isn't easy if you 'interview' about five, though a couple may write themselves out of the script pretty quickly!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6240
rhiwfield
Old 07-12-2012, 6:19 PM

My Y fronts are now up to 2 bottles of merlot equivalent, O ye of little faith

Great news on dog dog Lir!

CTC, any chance of you having the odd Crabbies tonight while waiting for your son?

Alf, DW is enjoying me doing all the cooking, PO trips etc. You also need a domestic slave to look after you while you're under the weather

Lord giveth etc. Just sold some expensive ceramics this afternoon, 5 mins later get a message saying equally expensive clock sold 2 days ago damaged in transit .

I'm often disappointed when listening to bands of my youth, even to original recordings, but especially to bands reformed or plus 30 years. Age isnt kind to voices or energy
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rhiwfield For This Useful Post: Show me >>