IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
December Debt Destruction!!!
Views: 31,515
# 281
CandyCupcake
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Wow everyone has been super busy! I've not been on for a couple of days and now the thread is super long - well done everyone - Kat I hope the damage isn't too bad to the bike!

So this month hasn't been going so well for me, I only have 2 NSDs in the bag this WILL improve as soon as this weekend is out if the way as I am out tomorrow for a friends birthday and I need to do a small shop on saturday.

I've been waiting for vouchers from work to finish my Christmas shopping and I still haven't received them I'm so angry as it has messed me up big time! I wanted them before this weekend so that I could get everything in and use all my coupons/double points coupons to really up my points and savings in various stores. Fingers crossed they come tomorrow but too be honest I'm really not getting my hopes up

I've applied for lots of overtime and later shifts in work s hopefully Decembers and January's pay will be half decent. At this rate though I will have to use Decembers pay for presents which I wasn't wanting to do but without these vouchers I have no choice

Sorry for the essay everyone!!

Candy
x
Total debt to date: 3,238.10
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CandyCupcake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 282
liltdiddylilt
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.. Term-time only

Sleep tight Kat!!

Thank you for granting my NSD wish, Ninja Fairy Godmother

Exercise-wise, yes it was outside. I never count lugging my sumo of a daughter around in my exercise as I'd have 6 20 minutes sessions each day!! :P I walked to work (2 miles) from work (2 miles also - who'd of thunk it?) and I spent a good hour running up and downstairs in my office today to my boss & back. I've only put this down as 1/2 hour though in case it just felt like that much... hehehe

Sleep tight, gutted about Tesco Express. Mine is right outside my flat, followed by a sainsbury's then a little further down a huge asda. We are talking a 10 minute walk to asda at the most... but depending on how rubbish I feel/how terrible the weather is, I end up in the one I feel I can manage the walk back from when I go out for odds and sods. Plus side our tesco express puts all their stickered stuff out at 4pm sharp tip from my single mum of 1 neighbour
NST Nov: SFD: 15/18||Groceries: 146.86/130||Food Bank: 0/5|
FD Saver: 3300.00/3600.00 Xmas Spends: 270.34 Emergency Fund: 948.42
"A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$. You have to cover the rest." - Royce Gracie
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to liltdiddylilt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 283
specialkaye
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Declaring another NSD today taking me to 5. Tomorrow is a spend day as a couple of colleagues want to go out for drinks for an hour. we don't finish work until ten ish so it will only be an hour.

Exercise i am trying to keep up with - did extra cycling yesterday, swimming (and sauna) today and have to do about 8 miles cycling tomorrow.

I did get a new job today though which will increase my income considerably. gosh i am excited
[SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]1% at a time challenge member #127

MWF: as@ Oct13 45,917, now 45,223
OP 2014: 0/500
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to specialkaye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 284
PurpleJay
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just made Thai cous cous and had half for supper with a bit of coleslaw and it was lovely. not had it for ages. Taking rest to work tomorrow with coleslaw, tomatoes and cucumber.

Have banned myself from shopping at approved food for now. Stuff is cheap but if it sits in your cupboard.... Perhaps I just need to use up what I have and be more selective next time. I bought gallons of Lloyd grosman soup last time and it was vile.

I also have a tesco express nearby, just across the road (no value products there either) and its next to a Chinese. Very handy but a bit to tempting!
'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
it's about learning to dance in the rain'
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PurpleJay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 285
Kerfuffle
Old 07-12-2012, 2:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

HI everybody,

Not much to report for me. I had a NSD so the figures are the same as yesterday, and now on 4 NSD.

I was tempted to go to the supermarket tonight on the way home from work, just for the sake of going as I didn't actually need anyhing, but reminded myself that if I bought anything I would have to declare it on here and I couldn't face admitting the un-necessary spend to you guys.
Tea tonight is HM spagetti bolognaise from the freezer, remains of a previous batch cook, so nice and easy, easy enough for Hubby to cook up anyway

We're nearly out of fresh orange juice and rather than buy some more we're going to use up the frozen concentrates from the freezer, so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to avoid the supermarket again.

Food 6.14 / 50.00 (for 2 people)
Petrol 29.66 /105.00 (2 vehicles)
Christmas Food 30.00
Christmas presents 50.00
Unplanned spends 6.66
NSD 4 / 20
SD 2 / 11

Toodles

Edited the NSD v SD

Debt Free Date 31.5.13
MFit - T3 # 162
2014mfw# 137 MF goal 02.02.2020
To overpay the mortgage 7 / 81 months (7000.00)
Just because a lending institution says you can afford to borrow some money, doesn't mean you should Only buy NEEDS not WANTS SPC#579

Last edited by Kerfuffle; 14-12-2012 at 5:49 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kerfuffle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 286
JAMIEDODGER
Old 07-12-2012, 6:19 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to JAMIEDODGER

Morning all.

Another day at home planned for me today. More studying, hoping to finish this essay today, still have some words to lose but am aiming on sitting at desk until its blinking finished!!

Out tonight to ds3 school disco, which all I have to attend as he is special needs. Taking dd with me. Drinks and snacks will be free but will have to use the car to get there!

Have best friend and her kids over for tea straight after school which will be lovely I cook dinner for all the kids and we get to drink tea and natter

Other than all that it will be a NSD
Pay off debt by xmas 2014 #213
574.02/1500 38.26%
Save 12k in 2014 #015
240/600 40%
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JAMIEDODGER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 287
Mancman86
Old 07-12-2012, 8:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Need to reassess today...at some point. Havnt been naughty with any cash, this "Mancflu" has caused me to lose the plot somewhat - some say I lost that years ago. Tried the garlic thing Kat, lets just say I had to clean the entire Kitchen with bleach.
It was -5 for most of the day yesterday, I was in town for a meeting on lunch with a colleague - didnt spend any money on lunch as had sandwiches, however I did feel very sorry for a homeless guy who was shivering as was his small labrador, So I bought him a Greggs Pasty and Coffee (as specified by said homeless guy) and also bought a bottle of water and a poochie pouch full of food from Tesco Metro - total spend 4.90
Debt Free by August 2013 fingers crossed.Total Debt 3000 C/C.84.35/3000 - 03.01.2013.
124.25/3k -23/01/13 -
Total left to clear:- 2875.75
500 tin saver 26/500 28/11/2012
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mancman86 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 288
thriftylass
Old 07-12-2012, 9:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'll have my work xmas dinner tonight straight after work. But I'll stick to the free wine and take the bus home so it'll be an NSD as it's the same route home as from work so it's bus money I'd spend anyway just later in the day.

Oh and I found an easy way now to incorporate my exercise. I found a different bus route home (get a lift in the morning) which is not only cheaper but I also have to get off earlier and then have a brisk 20 min walk each day.
Nov batten down the hatches no 14
SFD 12/20 GC 234/180 HH 80/80 Wedding debt 2500 2080 CC 558 505 405 DFD Dec '15
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thriftylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 289
WantToBeSE
Old 07-12-2012, 9:28 AM

Morning

Was on a right downer yesterday..what can i say, time of the month

Back on form today. yesterday was NSD #5, but today wont be a NSD as i am going shopping in Lidl.
I am going to see if i can get the weeks shopping on 40 instead of 50 this week.
I dont have much to get really, so it shouldnt be too hard!

The exercise is going well, i am battling through the wind and rain to walk my son to school and back

Hope you all have a good day!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 290
BigMummaF
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BigMummaF

I've only had one spend day so far, & managed to get muvva's usual annual for-the-kitchen calendar from a charity stall set up in MrT's foyer at the same time. In all I guess I gave Dogs for the Deaf around 20% more than I needed to so my charidee bit is covered. Altho not technically as specified as per The Rules, I am prepared to defend any giving against not doing it because it's the wrong day, so there *defiantly pokes out tongue, but runs to hide behind a paperclip to avoid possible fall-out*

I'm registered as muvva's carer so running up & down her stairs is good exercise (second floor, no lift=no option
) but admit I do struggle with this bit. I never have seen the need to become all hot & sweaty running around in circles & probably never will. I'll happily research why the track is 400m long & who decided you had to run counter-clockwise; just don't expect me to join in the physical bits.
I think it's because I was classed as a 'chesty' child until 17 yrs old & they finally decided I was asthmatic. I'd be out in the bracing winter winds waiting for my wheeze to wain on the hockey pitch, or stood alongside the supporters of summer sports days, sneezing till my eyeballs burst. Books became a lot better for my bronchial benefits & that habit hasn't left me since.

Still, all this chattering isn't getting the lunch ready. Stay warm Peeps & Stay Safe x
Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigMummaF For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 291
Sholly
Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Happy Friday!!

Hi DDDers,

Just calling in to declare NSD #7 which includes today but I have no need to spend any money today. Tomorrow will probably be a spend day as I'm going out for my birthday, it will just be a meal or cinema or something so won't be too pricey. Tuesday is my actual birthday but my MOT is due on the 18th and Tuesday is the only day I can get it done...seriously, who books an MOT for their birthday!!!! So the next few days will be spend days but I've got my budget sorted and will keep my MSE hat on (sure it will match my nice sparkly dress!!!)

Might also have to pop to Tesco soon before I turn into a baked bean!!

Hope you all have a good weekend - Kat hope you have fun on your walking weekend

Sholly x
DFW and MFW
Debt free target: June 2016
19 months to go
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sholly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 292
abundant1972
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hey All,

It's really nice to read about how everybody is going on, and that we're all battling our way through our debts bit by bit...

Finally move the rest of my stuff today (counting this as my 20 mins exercise ha ha!!!) which will be great - once I feel more settled I know my energy and enthusiasm will quadruple and I can really get in gear with debt clearing.

Today is a planned spend day (to use up vouchers) as is tomorrow (evening spent with my brother) so next NSD due Sunday... I might be a little absent from the boards until I get back Sunday evening... Stay well and keep up the good work...

DEBT FREE as of 24/10/2014 !!!
In 2015 the saving begins...

October Triathlon # 21 : SFD =6/16 : Food/Spends =105/120 : Gym =5/12 Sessions
Emergency Fund # 25: 50.00 / 1000.00

Mortgage Deposit : Starts 2015

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abundant1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 293
NinjaSavingKat
Old 07-12-2012, 2:39 PM

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I am leaving for my hiking in about 90 minutes and needed to check in and say hello as I might not be able to do anything over the weekend on the forum... keep posting though as I will be able to read it all..

Abundant I hope you have a nice weekend too - well done on non-NSD day planning though! How does it feel to be in the new place - who are you sharing with..?

Sholly I was at the mechanics on my birthday getting my bike tires changed.. how sad. Next year I intend to be in the sun somewhere not in London!

BigMummaF - I take it being a full time carer would leave you tired as well? Would you take your Mummy out for a walk or is she housebound..? Hope you are claiming carers allowance / benefits..

Thrifty well done on finding an entirely new route. You get to snoop down peoples driveways / Christmas tress as well on the way home..Hope you got something high vis or white on so cars can see you - pedestrians on dark roads scare the living daylights out of me sometimes..

MancMan - you found the first homeless person!!! ...and did you hurl everywhere babe?.. Thank you for buying the pooch some food - that is superb! I am so proud of you! Bet the doggie was so happy...ahhh this post made me SMILE!!!

Jamie - how is that essay coming along??

Kerfuffle you think like I do - I know the confession is the most scary post of running a thread like this so thought better of buying chips today..

PurpleJay - I am only going to do an AP order every 2-3 months. I find the snaky things very handy and the tinned fruit and crisps .. I just don't have a lot of room...

SpecialKaye - have you been eating special K with all this exercise.. Well done on your NSD's as well though!!!

Lilt = sumo daughter

Candy - well done on the overtime...any vouchers today???

Right sorry - I am too excited now. I am off to get changed... WOOOHOOOOO!!!!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.....( to the top of a big hill )

The debt journey is over, the savings are made and I hit the road in 24 hours.

Savings banked; 14000 in 10 months thanks to MSE!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 294
WantToBeSE
Old 07-12-2012, 3:23 PM

Have a lovely time Kat!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 295
Mancman86
Old 07-12-2012, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

NSK- Yup hurled everywhere. Starting to feel like cough is making a vengeful return just when I thought it was on the way out the door. Work christmas party tonight - they have told us they may surprise us with a treat tonight... maybe they are going to pay for us all, or just hand out P45's.
Have a good weekend everyone, will be back online on Monday and will tally up NSD etc over the weekend and update.
Debt Free by August 2013 fingers crossed.Total Debt 3000 C/C.84.35/3000 - 03.01.2013.
124.25/3k -23/01/13 -
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mancman86 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 296
Kerfuffle
Old 07-12-2012, 4:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancman86 View Post
Need to reassess today...at some point. Havnt been naughty with any cash, this "Mancflu" has caused me to lose the plot somewhat - some say I lost that years ago. Tried the garlic thing Kat, lets just say I had to clean the entire Kitchen with bleach.
It was -5 for most of the day yesterday, I was in town for a meeting on lunch with a colleague - didnt spend any money on lunch as had sandwiches, however I did feel very sorry for a homeless guy who was shivering as was his small labrador, So I bought him a Greggs Pasty and Coffee (as specified by said homeless guy) and also bought a bottle of water and a poochie pouch full of food from Tesco Metro - total spend 4.90
Hey well done Mancman, going that little bit extra and including the pooch is brilliant I hope Santa is taking notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMummaF View Post
I've only had one spend day so far, & managed to get muvva's usual annual for-the-kitchen calendar from a charity stall set up in MrT's foyer at the same time. In all I guess I gave Dogs for the Deaf around 20% more than I needed to so my charidee bit is covered. Altho not technically as specified as per The Rules, I am prepared to defend any giving against not doing it because it's the wrong day, so there *defiantly pokes out tongue, but runs to hide behind a paperclip to avoid possible fall-out*

Snip

Well done BigMummaF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSavingKat View Post
Snip

Kerfuffle you think like I do - I know the confession is the most scary post of running a thread like this so thought better of buying chips today..

Right sorry - I am too excited now. I am off to get changed... WOOOHOOOOO!!!!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.....( to the top of a big hill )
NSK - I know, we're all so scary . Hope you have a fantastic time.

Debt Free Date 31.5.13
MFit - T3 # 162
2014mfw# 137 MF goal 02.02.2020
To overpay the mortgage 7 / 81 months (7000.00)
Just because a lending institution says you can afford to borrow some money, doesn't mean you should Only buy NEEDS not WANTS SPC#579
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kerfuffle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 297
Mancman86
Old 07-12-2012, 4:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Couldnt leave out the pooch with his sad puppy dog eyes i just wanted to take the dog home.
124.25/3k -23/01/13 -
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mancman86 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 298
p0lly
Old 07-12-2012, 6:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello all NSD 5 am feeling in control
Have a lovely time Kat. Mancman what a lovely thing to do. Demonstrates that being careful with the pennies does not make you mean (as my Friend said the other day when I said no to a lunch cos I am trying to save ) Anyway am off to another friend with bottle of fine (ish) wine for a catch up. have a good evening all.
p0lly popsicle x
JBFF # 20 NSD 12/25
Jan Grocery budget 77 /100
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to p0lly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 299
nannygladys
Old 07-12-2012, 7:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi everyone
Just a quick visit to report another NSD - number 5 now - proud of myself I just hope I can manage 20!!!!!! and had Lo's from the pie I made from LO's yesterday IYKWIM. Worked today and its my weekend working so hopefully it'll be nsd's all the way.
Jxx
Grocery challenge Nov 40.61/100, fuel 40.00/80.O0
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nannygladys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 300
liltdiddylilt
Old 07-12-2012, 8:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.. Term-time only

Nanny you just hurt my brain with IYKWIM but I think it is if you know what I mean... If you know what I mean

Purplejay... My tesco is surrounded by two all you can eat chinese plus a chinese takeaway, a malaysian & thai restaurant, a mexican, 2 sandwich shops, a pub which serves food with live music & an italian. I am doomed to constantly spend my days walking past these places SNIFFING!

Kat, seriously, if I knew how to post a photo on here you could see the sumotastic thigh's she has got on her. She is midgety small but so SOLID and heavy!!! Love her to bits and pieces!

Mancman well done on finding your homeless person. I have been stalking them, but they appear to have stayed at home since the weather is abominable... (I say stayed at home, because the 2 homeless people I see regularly (with dogs for pity of course - I genuinely feel for the dog) get up off the floor at 6pm sharp, meet up with friends who are a bit alternative but definitely not homeless, & off they go... I'm not convinced! I may just give some stuff to the foodbank in lieu of coffee for rogues.

Kat, have a superspandangling walk!!! I hope it is not expensive for you and you have the best time!!

thrifty - Brilliant news on the bus route change - will be a lot better for you to do in the summer, so I admire you doing it now!!!

Today is NSD #6 in this house, and marks the end of my 4 in a row challenge!! Woop

Extra proud as met with a usual Costa coffee & ASDA shopping friend, had coffee at mine instead & did not buy a THING (!!!!) in the entire trip around ASDA!

Have a good evening all. My antibiotics are making me feel dreadful so I am just going to lurk a bit and snuggle under my duvet!
NST Nov: SFD: 15/18||Groceries: 146.86/130||Food Bank: 0/5|
FD Saver: 3300.00/3600.00 Xmas Spends: 270.34 Emergency Fund: 948.42
"A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$. You have to cover the rest." - Royce Gracie
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to liltdiddylilt For This Useful Post: Show me >>