Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels > Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & G... (Page 55)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide
Reply
Views: 196,179
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1081
TiredGeek
Old 02-12-2012, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sutherland
Posts: 187
Default

They've even fitted the condensate tray! Nice
A pair of 14kw Ecodans & 39 radiators in a big old farm house in the frozen north
TiredGeek is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to TiredGeek For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1082
jeepjunkie
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 940
Default

Great to see the pics.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7521506/PA190118.jpg
jeepjunkie is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1083
nande2000
Old 03-12-2012, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 199
Default

Doh ! The lockshield valve was shut on the rad I had problems with; house now piping hot everywhere. All we need now is some really cold weather to test the system to its limit.
nande2000 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1084
TiredGeek
Old 03-12-2012, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sutherland
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nande2000 View Post
Doh ! The lockshield valve was shut on the rad I had problems with; house now piping hot everywhere. All we need now is some really cold weather to test the system to its limit.
Well that's a relief
Glad it was something so simple...
A pair of 14kw Ecodans & 39 radiators in a big old farm house in the frozen north
TiredGeek is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1085
nande2000
Old 04-12-2012, 3:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 199
Default

Interestingly the guy that installed mine was telling me he installed an Ecodan 8.5kw for his own house, then upgraded his insulation and downsized to the 5kw model. It heated his house fine but the electric consumption went up by 50%, so hes putting his 8.5 back in.
nande2000 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to nande2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1086
jeepjunkie
Old 05-12-2012, 2:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 940
Default

As you can see from the pics below the ASHP going through a defrost. Not that you'd notice it inside as house very warm. Tis a bit chilly here with snow on the ground.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7521506/PC050686.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7521506/PC050687.JPG

Last edited by jeepjunkie; 05-12-2012 at 2:32 PM.
jeepjunkie is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1087
John_Pierpoint
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkie View Post
I am a bit confused about the relationship between this photo and these

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkie View Post
John_Pierpoint is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1088
albyota
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northamptonshire
Posts: 1,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Pierpoint View Post
I am a bit confused about the relationship between this photo and these
John_Pierpoint, The first phot just shows the 14kW Ecodan looking at the front of the unit, The other two photos show the frosting occurring on the rear of the coil (two angles) and by the look of it, at night.

JJ will confirm

Al
There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't!

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
albyota is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to albyota For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1089
Diallingtone
Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Default Loving the Ecodan

Hi all - I've joined MSE just so I can participate in this thread! I had an Ecodan installed back in August; an 8.5KW unit for my 3 bed house.

I was nervous - not least because of the heated debates elsewhere in these forums about ASHP efficiencies and associated horror stories. Reading all those posts from Cardew about how it was all doomed to failure

Anyway, I think my Ecodan is..... FANTASTIC!

Hot water has never been hotter - we are boosting via immersion much less, maybe 3 times in 6 months versus a few times per week before. Inside temp is absolutely fine, even when we've got down to -5º outside.

I've checked with the neighbours and they don't hear it - which was a concern - but to be honest it's less noisy than my rattly old LPG boiler. If you walk down our street at night, you can hear the heating going in most houses - mostly boilers venting outside. The Ecodan makes a different kind of noise, but in truth it's not any more intrusive.

The defrost cycle is amazing. Last night, I was looking at the unit and it's all frozen up - looks like the inside of a fridge. Then the unit makes a noise a bit like a lorry's air-brakes and, after a few moments, the ice turns clear and starts to run off as water into the soakaway.

I explain to people that it works by combining electricity with some clever gubbins and a pinch of pixie dust - no other rational explanation

ASHPs aren't perfect. Because the rads don't get as hot, it does take longer to get a house up to temperature - so we have the heating on all the time and keep it in a fairly narrow range; 16º overnight, 19º during the day and 21º at night. In my experience, it can take an hour to raise the temp by 1º - not a problem per se, you just have to plan a bit better.

I still can't comment on running costs. Back in August we were nearly £300 in credit with SSE and probably over paying by £20-30 per month. It will take a while to burn through that and assess increased payments. With Solar PV and Solar Thermal and no separate usage meter for the ASHP, I have no way of tracking what it uses with any confidence. No matter. I'm sure it's cheaper than LPG and every time I see that my LPG tank has gone, I still smile!

When the RHI payments kick in next year, I will hopefully get some dosh which will speed up the return on investment and be the proverbial cherry on the cake.

So far so good. Although I don't like the cold weather, I am secretly wanting the temperature to drop even further so I can see how well it works. Rated down to -15º, I think the coldest we've recorded round here is around -11º, so it should be interesting.
Diallingtone is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diallingtone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1090
jeepjunkie
Old 07-12-2012, 1:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diallingtone View Post
Hi all - I've joined MSE just so I can participate in this thread! I had an Ecodan installed back in August; an 8.5KW unit for my 3 bed house.

I was nervous - not least because of the heated debates elsewhere in these forums about ASHP efficiencies and associated horror stories. Reading all those posts from Cardew about how it was all doomed to failure

Anyway, I think my Ecodan is..... FANTASTIC!

Hot water has never been hotter - we are boosting via immersion much less, maybe 3 times in 6 months versus a few times per week before. Inside temp is absolutely fine, even when we've got down to -5º outside.

I've checked with the neighbours and they don't hear it - which was a concern - but to be honest it's less noisy than my rattly old LPG boiler. If you walk down our street at night, you can hear the heating going in most houses - mostly boilers venting outside. The Ecodan makes a different kind of noise, but in truth it's not any more intrusive.

The defrost cycle is amazing. Last night, I was looking at the unit and it's all frozen up - looks like the inside of a fridge. Then the unit makes a noise a bit like a lorry's air-brakes and, after a few moments, the ice turns clear and starts to run off as water into the soakaway.

I explain to people that it works by combining electricity with some clever gubbins and a pinch of pixie dust - no other rational explanation

ASHPs aren't perfect. Because the rads don't get as hot, it does take longer to get a house up to temperature - so we have the heating on all the time and keep it in a fairly narrow range; 16º overnight, 19º during the day and 21º at night. In my experience, it can take an hour to raise the temp by 1º - not a problem per se, you just have to plan a bit better.

I still can't comment on running costs. Back in August we were nearly £300 in credit with SSE and probably over paying by £20-30 per month. It will take a while to burn through that and assess increased payments. With Solar PV and Solar Thermal and no separate usage meter for the ASHP, I have no way of tracking what it uses with any confidence. No matter. I'm sure it's cheaper than LPG and every time I see that my LPG tank has gone, I still smile!

When the RHI payments kick in next year, I will hopefully get some dosh which will speed up the return on investment and be the proverbial cherry on the cake.

So far so good. Although I don't like the cold weather, I am secretly wanting the temperature to drop even further so I can see how well it works. Rated down to -15º, I think the coldest we've recorded round here is around -11º, so it should be interesting.
Great to hear another success story.

I suppose if it were not for blokes like Cardew we not do as much research as we do prior to install.

Cheers
jeepjunkie is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeepjunkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1091
Cardew
Old 07-12-2012, 2:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 23,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diallingtone View Post

I was nervous - not least because of the heated debates elsewhere in these forums about ASHP efficiencies and associated horror stories. Reading all those posts from Cardew about how it was all doomed to failure

Anyway, I think my Ecodan is..... FANTASTIC!
Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate that your comment is 'tongue in cheek', but there shouldn't have to be any horror stories when people pay??(£10,000+?) for a system.

It is quite obvious that ASHPs can work well, but all too often they don't, as the horror stories on MSE(with ripped out ASHPs) and elsewhere on the web illustrate - not to mention the Energy Saving Trust 12 month trial which was IMO little short of a disaster - and no follow up report to show things have improved.

I believe that the manufacturer should take responsibility their systems and not pass the buck to the installers. If your house was unsuitable for an ASHP because of insulation deficiencies, I wonder how many installation firms would have told you and lost the opportunity to do business.

There is one other very important point, that is an inherent disadvantage of ASHPs, that you mention in your post:

Quote:
ASHPs aren't perfect. Because the rads don't get as hot, it does take longer to
get a house up to temperature - so we have the heating on all the time and keep
it in a fairly narrow range; 16º overnight, 19º during the day and 21º at night.
In my experience, it can take an hour to raise the temp by 1º - not a problem
per se, you just have to plan a bit better.
For an ASHP to be effective you have to run it like you do - i.e. running 24/7. That is a big disadvantage, particularly for people out at work all day. Someone who is at work, say from 8am to 6pm is having electricity consumed and heat produced for an empty house - wasted enrgy and costs. With conventional CH it is sufficient to have it timed to come on, say, 30 mins before returning to the house.

Many prospective customers are unaware of the above and I have never seen this issue given publicity.

Anyway it looks like you have got a good system! Let us hope the running costs are low.

P.S.
Do you mind saying how much your system cost - and did you have to get new/extra radiators?
Cardew is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1092
Diallingtone
Old 07-12-2012, 4:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Default Loving the Ecodan

So, my installation consisted of:
8.5KW Ecodan
New 200L water tank (at my request) - up from 140L
4 new rads; 2 in lounge, 1 in kitchen, 1 in main bedrooom
Plus, 1 rad moved from lounge to bedroom 2
New thermostatic valves on all rads
decommissioning of old boiler & make good

Total cost: £7,500 (net of grants - £850 from DECC and £400 from Mitsubishi)

I was paying £125 per month to Calor for LPG - just for heating, hot water was done by immersion heater. My installer estimates annual running costs for heating and hot water to be £550 (based on the heat loss estimate), so if that's true, a big annual saving on the £1500+ I was paying before. Only time will tell. On that basis, payback of around 7 years at current prices, albeit the RHI payments next year should make that much more attractive, hopefully payback in less than 5 years.

My lounge has a vaulted ceiling which takes longer to heat - the 1º per hour may vary by property type, but it is evident the rads don't get as hot - max temp would be 50º versus 70-80º (I would guess) for gas.

If the heating is on all day, the impact is relevant only to total resources consumed, i.e. if it's still cheaper to have ASHP on all day versus timed oil/gas, I guess that's a good outcome. ASHP have lower CO2 output, plus (and I like this spin off) it takes heat from the air, so in its own way it fights global warming

Early days, but I'm pleased to be free from LPG, especially since I offset the electric with solar PV and will do more as and when new opportunities (Ridgeblade?) come along.
Diallingtone is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diallingtone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1093
zeupater
Old 07-12-2012, 4:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East of the Welsh ....
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diallingtone View Post
....., plus (and I like this spin off) it takes heat from the air, so in its own way it fights global warming .....
.... Apart from the issue that the heat that has been pumped inside leaks back out through the walls, windows, roof etc ....

... funny, but I've heard that particular argument used before, it's a bit like saying that leaving the freezer door open in the summer cools the kitchen ....

Z
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
zeupater is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to zeupater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1094
Cardew
Old 07-12-2012, 4:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 23,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diallingtone View Post

My lounge has a vaulted ceiling which takes longer to heat - the 1º per hour may vary by property type, but it is evident the rads don't get as hot - max temp would be 50º versus 70-80º (I would guess) for gas.

If the heating is on all day, the impact is relevant only to total resources consumed, i.e. if it's still cheaper to have ASHP on all day versus timed oil/gas, I guess that's a good outcome. ASHP have lower CO2 output, plus (and I like this spin off) it takes heat from the air, so in its own way it fights global warming

Early days, but I'm pleased to be free from LPG, especially since I offset the electric with solar PV and will do more as and when new opportunities (Ridgeblade?) come along.
Thank you.
The maximum CH water temperature for most gas boilers is 82C I believe.

Whilst the maximum temp of CH water(not HW) from your ASHP is 50C, surely you wouldn't normally run it at that temperature?
Cardew is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1095
grahamc2003
Old 07-12-2012, 6:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeupater View Post
.... Apart from the issue that the heat that has been pumped inside leaks back out through the walls, windows, roof etc ....

... funny, but I've heard that particular argument used before, it's a bit like saying that leaving the freezer door open in the summer cools the kitchen ....

Z
Sort of.

But the heatpump gives say 100kwh of heat inside for about 35kWh of electricity, whereas a gas boiler gives 100kWh of heat inside by burning about 110kWh of gas.

Yes, the heat sucked from the outside leaks back outside along with an extra dollop amounting to about 1/3rd, but with alternative heating, an extra whole dollop is leaked to the outside.

Or put yet another way, the atmosphere is heated by 110kwh for each 100kwh of home heating by gas, whereas for a heat pump, the atmosphere is only heated by 35kwh.

(Not that I think that matters).

Last edited by grahamc2003; 07-12-2012 at 6:57 PM.
grahamc2003 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1096
grahamc2003
Old 07-12-2012, 7:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diallingtone View Post

The defrost cycle is amazing. Last night, I was looking at the unit and it's all frozen up - looks like the inside of a fridge. Then the unit makes a noise a bit like a lorry's air-brakes and, after a few moments, the ice turns clear and starts to run off as water into the soakaway.

I:
Good to hear owner's views on these.

Yours seems very cheap compared to my quotes (about £12k/£13k for a 14kW, including new wet system). Wouldn't mind a quote from your installers, if you would care to divulge (either on the board or by pm).

Shame you didn't have any meters fitted. Although the defrost obviously works fine, I'd also like to know the cost of a defrost, and how often it occured at various temperatures. Not sure if Mitsi offer such metering, or whether it's available from third parties (or whether to make do with an inaccurate Owl).

Very useful info regarding noise etc, thanks.
grahamc2003 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to grahamc2003 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1097
nande2000
Old 07-12-2012, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 199
Default

Must admit Im amazed at how good my Ecodan is at heating HW (i was bracing myself for the wife moaning about washing the dishes cold) - It is miles better than the oil range cooker/boiler it replaced.
The water temp gets up to 60 degc in a 210 litre tank in the same time it took the oil range to heat a 120l tank.

Personally I think heat pumps would work for any property (within reason), just the installer has to plan the extra rads and insulation for you. With fossil fuel boilers bad installers could cover their tracks by oversizing.

Got mine (8.5kw Ecodan + 210litre vented thermal store plus one new 1800mm wide rad) installed for £7200 inc vat and I havent had my RHPP yet. Its not that far off what a new external oil boiler would have cost me (inc cost of a new tank)

When you buy a new heating system of any sort you need to assume that most installers have no clue in what they are doing..In my limited experience about 60% are charlatans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardew View Post
Thank you.
The maximum CH water temperature for most gas boilers is 82C I believe.

Whilst the maximum temp of CH water(not HW) from your ASHP is 50C, surely you wouldn't normally run it at that temperature?

Last edited by nande2000; 07-12-2012 at 7:22 PM. Reason: extra info
nande2000 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to nande2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1098
lovesgshp
Old 07-12-2012, 7:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Italy
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardew View Post
Thank you.
The maximum CH water temperature for most gas boilers is 82C I believe.

Whilst the maximum temp of CH water(not HW) from your ASHP is 50C, surely you wouldn't normally run it at that temperature?
We have systems working on the 50C rad output temperature and the clients say that the temperature in the room is more stable and comfortable, as constant against when they had gas.
lovesgshp is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lovesgshp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1099
Mister G
Old 07-12-2012, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winchester UK
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamc2003 View Post
Sort of.

But the heatpump gives say 100kwh of heat inside for about 35kWh of electricity, whereas a gas boiler gives 100kWh of heat inside by burning about 110kWh of gas.

Yes, the heat sucked from the outside leaks back outside along with an extra dollop amounting to about 1/3rd, but with alternative heating, an extra whole dollop is leaked to the outside.

Or put yet another way, the atmosphere is heated by 110kwh for each 100kwh of home heating by gas, whereas for a heat pump, the atmosphere is only heated by 35kwh.

(Not that I think that matters).
Ah, but what about the CO2 footprint of the power station that generates that 35kWh?
Mister G is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1100
Cardew
Old 07-12-2012, 8:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 23,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geotherm View Post
We have systems working on the 50C rad output temperature and the clients say that the temperature in the room is more stable and comfortable, as constant against when they had gas.
I can't see why that would be the case when they could have their gas boiler water temperature set to 50%

My point was that running an ASHP to give a water temperature of 50C gives a lower COP than, say, 35C.This is why heat pumps are so suited to under floor heating.

It is also a fact that some(not all by any means) people who have paid good money for a product, are less inclined to be objective in their appraisal of that product.. Even on MSE tenants(both council/HOA and private) generally are more critical of heat pumps.

I speak as someone who bought 2 Betamax VCRs and a Toshiba HD DVD player - convinced that VHS and Blu-ray wouldn't catch on!
Cardew is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 29 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSBBC RADIO 1'S LIVE LOUNGE 2014
  • TAYLOR SWIFT1989 (DELUXE)
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.