Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Getting to know you........ (Page 101)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Getting to know you........
Views: 270,130
# 2001
bev62
Old 11-11-2012, 9:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Out of the shadows

Hello, I have been a long time lurker, but recently decided I would start to post.

Me - 50, divorced, work FT, live with 22 yo daughter, and very spoilt dog and cat. I am always skint - but always have food in the cupboard. My mum taught me to always have at least a spare one of everything.

I have always cooked from scratch, baked, made jam & chutney and in recent years have discovered making liqueurs and other flavoured alcohol... hic. But recently found I cant be arsed - more and more... and waste money on buying quick junk food.So hoping to find my mojo again!

I have recently started knitting again after 22 years off. I actually wanted to learn to crochet - but couldn't get my head round it - so dusted off my knitting needles - and loving it again.
So looking forward to being inspired by all the great info on here - and contributing!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bev62 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2002
Monsternextdoor
Old 13-11-2012, 1:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well hello there everyone !

I have been a lurker for a while and decided to join, I am a mum of one human and one furbaby, Im a 31, married and trying to start my own business.

I love to cook and will cook from scratch 9 times out of 10 !!, We move around alot due to hubbies job but thats the nature of the beast.

Errrm and thats all I can think of atm lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monsternextdoor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2003
Kuuj
Old 18-11-2012, 2:01 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I live in Northern Canada, near the Arctic. I run the produce department at a grocery store full-time and study business through online university courses. My fiancee and I have a 1 year old husky/lab dog named Tippy.

We live in a remote fly-in community. Our wages are high but so is the cost of living. Our rent and utilities are paid for and we pay a small fee for a large food allowance to help us buy food at the higher cost. We have no debt, never carry a balance on our credit cards, and save about 50% of all our income towards our yearly vacation and so we can buy a house with a large down payment in a few years. We would forgo the vacation but our employer flies us out of the community once a year for mental health reasons!

I just discovered this forum today and fell in love with it! I am seeking ways to save even more money towards our down payment. Because we have very few bills, we have a lot of disposable income. We do tend to buy whatever we want though - something we have to curb!

I'm looking forward to reading these forums daily to learn from experienced posters!

Cheers,

K
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kuuj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2004
*HalfBaked*
Old 18-11-2012, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Thank you & hello!

So, not sure how to start my first post... Hello to anyone that's interested in what I am about to say! The name of the thread gives a little insight but let me start with some background; I have been reading these forums for the past few months and I've really enjoyed it. Old style is my favourite and although I had been trying to be frugal prior to discovering MSE, my eyes have been opened! Not in a bad way - I have learnt so many new tips, and generally enjoyed the friendly community feel on here.

I live with my partner, who I felt has never really embraced my money saving efforts until a few days ago! Basically the scenario was this, partner heads to the shop for a micromeal & shaving foam. We live near a T Metro store & the price is generally slightly higher than in the larger versions of the shop so he would normally have spent around £4 for shaving foam (the best a man can get!) and probably the same on his dinner, however what he returned with made me feel so proud!! Value shaving foam & a value meal! - he proudly tells me the shaving foam was 23p and his micromeal reduced to about 90p! I was so proud of him!

The reason my post is a thank you is because this forum is brilliant, I am happy it exists and I believe that my increased frugality(?!) finally encouraged my partner to look at how he spends his money! I have never ever tried to force it on him, I've talked everything through with him that was going to effect him (groceries!) so that he had no nasty shocks and explained I want to save money and I wasn't just being "tight" for no reason!

We both work full time so I could understand his resistance at first, but as he is the one in debt I think he is now starting to follow my example as we would love to get on the property market as soon as possible.

Ok my first post is done, thank you if anyone finishes reading this!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to *HalfBaked* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2005
Valli
Old 18-11-2012, 5:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

welcome to Old Style...
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
ROLL ON 23 JULY!
Roadkill Rebel #97 - April 10p May 5p June 25p
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2006
Lilyplonk
Old 18-11-2012, 6:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

and Welcome to you, HalfBaked - and congratulations on your first post

You don't realise what you've done by that 'first post' - I'd like to bet there'll be no stopping you now .

I think that getting our OHs into the same frame of mind is one of the most difficult parts of becoming 'mse/oldstyle'. Once they realise that they're not being treated like a 'naughty little boys' and being deprived of their 'treats', they usually come around .................. especially when they also begin to realise that 'a bit of frugality' can mean the difference between living week-to-week with debts piling up OR keeping within your means, being able to still afford a holiday/occasional luxury AND being debt-free.

Just beware of how many times you quote Martin at him - my OH began to get a bit paranoid that 'something was going on' . Now he just rolls his eyes and shouts out 'YOUR fella is on telly again!' .
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lilyplonk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2007
Fruball
Old 18-11-2012, 6:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello and welcome to OS!

It's fantastic that your partner is now on board with your new MSE ways and believe me, that will make life so much easier
Starting Over
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fruball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2008
vanoonoo
Old 18-11-2012, 7:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

woop! welcome
C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z founder (newbies welcome)
keep safe and warm and dry and hydrated
Inventor of the BugOutBra© and the BarBra©
be good, be safe, be careful
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2009
Butterfly Brain
Old 18-11-2012, 7:07 PM

Welcome to OS, it is so much easier when the OH is on side, he will probably overtake you in searching for bargains now that he has the OS bug
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - foraging fixers

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly Brain For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2010
meritaten
Old 18-11-2012, 7:07 PM

HI half-baked and welcome to OS!

My OH now fully embraces 'frugality', and has been known to embarass me in Trescos when we are doing our 'top up shop', by picking things up and loudly telling other customers (and staff) that its cheaper in Aldi! lol

Bless him, after nearly Thirty six years of marraige I now trust him to do the weekly shop and come back with the items I want and 'change'! instead of bags full of 'junk' and 'You owe me £15'!

Good on you half-baked - being OS is better for your purse, your health and the planet! a Triple Whammy!
There sure are a lot of laws in this country - but there aint much Justice!!!
(Dean Koontz - One Door Away From Heaven)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meritaten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2011
Valli
Old 18-11-2012, 7:31 PM

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyplonk View Post

Just beware of how many times you quote Martin at him - my OH began to get a bit paranoid that 'something was going on' . Now he just rolls his eyes and shouts out 'YOUR fella is on telly again!' .

LOL

one of my fellow Flyladies told us her son shouted his mum (would have been a Friday lunchtime, when Jeremy Vine's on) and told her her boss was on the radio!
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
ROLL ON 23 JULY!
Roadkill Rebel #97 - April 10p May 5p June 25p
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2012
louby40
Old 18-11-2012, 8:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I too am new to all this!

But what an eye opener it is! Shopped in T for years spending a LOT of money. OH lost his job so we decided to head to Lidl! WOW! £60 for a weeks shopping!

Lou
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to louby40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2013
rosie383
Old 19-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Welcome Halfbaked. Be warned though.......... OS forum is extremely addictive!
March Grocery Challenge £130/ £240
NSD 0

Do not look down upon anybody unless you are helping them up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosie383 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2014
JackieRHE
Old 19-11-2012, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello and welcome.

You will pick up so many great ideas on this forum - I've been watching and "listening" for a while but rarely post - even so, the atmosphere is so friendly.

Jackie
£2 Savers Club 2013 - £28
20p Savers Club 2013 - £10.20
January 2013 Grocery Challenge 73.30/180.00
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackieRHE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2015
*HalfBaked*
Old 20-11-2012, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

@ Valli – Thanks!

@ Lilyplonk – Thank you for the warm welcome! You hit the nail on the head with the “naughty little boy” comment! I cannot wait for him to clear his debts, so the main focus financially can be on saving for a holiday abroad. So funny your OH alerts you to Martin on TV! Hopefully mine will start alerting me too as I am usually in the kitchen!!

@ Fruball – Thank you for your welcome & loving your username!!

@ vanoonoo – Thanks!

@ Butterfly Brain – Thank you and yes hoping he will overtake me with bargains!

@ meritaten – Thanks and your OH sounds funny! The fact you trust him now with the weekly shop must be a great weight off your shoulders & I am hoping I do not have to wait 36 years to be able to trust mine to do it!!
!
@ louby40 – Hi & welcome to you too! Sorry to hear about your OH but glad you have already found 1 way to reduce on your food shopping! If you haven’t already seen them, there are some great threads on meal planning/batch cooking/meals on a budget in this forum, lots of ideas for eating well for less money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *HalfBaked* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2016
Goldiegirl
Old 28-11-2012, 3:16 PM

I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself

I've been lurking on the MSE forums for a while, but have just registered, and hope to contribute a little.

I'm 52, married no children. I worked full time until a couple of years ago, when I was made redundant after 28 years in the same job.

I was very lucky in that I took a pension as part of my redundancy settlement, which meant I could work part time. I now work on Thursdays and Fridays, so the rest of the time is for my own interests.

I've become a keen eBayer, which originally brought me to the MSE forums, but I love reading and family history too, so spend time on those activities.

My travel passion is cruise holidays, which aren't cheap, so I'm interested in ways to keep costs down throughout the year, to help pay for the cruises.

I'm already picking up lots of tips so it's all good.

Although I love travel, I love my home too, so I've found OS a really interesting and helpful place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goldiegirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2017
Lucyadams184
Old 03-12-2012, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, I work part time and spend the rest of the time with my children who are 4 and 5.

I've been married for 12 years. I would love to start travelling now the kids are getting older as it's one of my regrets having not done any whilst I was younger.

I enjoy watching speedway and having family days out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucyadams184 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2018
muddyflumplepants
Old 07-12-2012, 3:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev62 View Post
I am always skint - but always have food in the cupboard.
That about sums us up too, no money, but no one in this house ever goes hungry!

I'm a full time mum to a beautiful 18 month old girl, and part time newsagent (mother in law does the childcare in exchange for red wine). Bloke works full time in the city - he cycles in, almost 13 miles each way every day.

We are constantly thinking of ways to improve our heating efficiency, buy less in the weekly shop, shop around for best deals and entertain the baby for nothing. Having been an avid lurker and email recipient for a while, thought I'd jump in and check out more of the site.

Hello!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muddyflumplepants For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2019
nicolula87
Old 27-12-2012, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all

I have lurked for a while, and finally joined the grocery challenge in December, failed fairly miserably....mostly because OH wasn't on board, but now he is!

I work full time and commute 45-60 minutes each way so I often (although becoming less often) go for quick options for tea. I am 25, live with my boyfriend (27) and our rescue dog (2)! Although we don't have debts, we also don't save much and it is this that I am hoping to change.
Kitchen Debt - 2820/260
Save £12k in 2013 #060: 1293.24/3000
MFW: 88760.00/85000.00 (4.24% paid)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolula87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2020
luvabargain
Old 28-12-2012, 9:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Hi to all

Hi everyone,

Finally, after many years lurking and occassionally posting, this year is the time to get tough with our finances.
I will be losing approx £3000 from take home pay from Jan 2014 due to a change of terms of employment so luckily I've got this year to drastically reduce outgoings.

There is me and hubby, 2 teenagers and 2 hamsters in our house.
We both work full time and are very lucky to have a reasonable income but this leaves us time poor. We spend what we earn, have no savings but have no debt either, except the mortgage, oh and 10 months car loan left to pay!

I am starting with the Grocery challenge. We spend £90 a week despite meal planning and shopping with a list so looking to cut this. I read old style topics daily so know that I can cut this hopefully to £70 saving £1000 a year

Thank you to all who post on the forums, its inspiring and motivating to read how other people manage to save money or cutback.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Was moneysaving in 2013, not sure what went wrong
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luvabargain For This Useful Post: Show me >>