Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Santander123 As A Savings Account? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Santander123 As A Savings Account?
Views: 6,377
# 1
daveoc22
Old 14-11-2012, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Santander123 As A Savings Account?

Given the low rates on easy access accounts I've been thinking of converting our Santander current account to a 123 account.

As I understand it we can get interest of 3%, paid monthly, on credit balance up to £20000, with a £2 a month charge.3% seems pretty good at the moment.

The only problem is we don't use this account for direct debits and I think you are supposed to have two direct debits set up on it.

Anyone any experience of opening one without having any direct debits?.
Waddle you do eh?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Gromitt
Old 14-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You can use a savings account for direct debits. For example, if you open a Tesco internet saver and a Tesco instant access saver, you can transfer £1/month to them and satisfy the requirement. One a year, you can transfer that £24 back to your current account (or sooner if you want).

You will need to pass £500/month through the account to get the interest.
# 3
Cass85
Old 14-11-2012, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You must have at least 2 direct debits and £500 credited each month to qualify.

Otherwise youre paying £2 a month and wont get interest.

Also remember as it is a bank account a credit search is carried out.
# 4
Gromitt
Old 14-11-2012, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass85 View Post
You must have at least 2 direct debits and £500 credited each month to qualify.

Otherwise youre paying £2 a month and wont get interest.

Also remember as it is a bank account a credit search is carried out.
You forgot the "Minimum £1000" qualifier and it's basically the same post as I made 3 hours ago
# 5
Cass85
Old 14-11-2012, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromitt View Post
You forgot the "Minimum £1000" qualifier and it's basically the same post as I made 3 hours ago
Ah im full of assumptions today. I assumed if you were putting savings in there you were putting the £20k in.
# 6
notbritishgas
Old 14-11-2012, 3:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes OP I am thinking of doing the same.
I have a Premier direct current account and an esaver 4 that has just reverted to 0.5% interest!
If I convert my CA to a 123 account and move £15000 into it from the esaver together with the DD's in there and the balance of about £2500 I would get about£515 annually.

I am hesitating because I wonder about Sanatander's motives, are they trying to get people onto a fee paying account and then gradually reduce the rewards or increase the fee. I know I could change banks if they do that but really do not want the hassle of changing 13 DD's.

I have just opened a Nationwide account paying 2.6% (mainly for the esaver4 cash) so would only gain 0.4%.

Last edited by notbritishgas; 14-11-2012 at 3:45 PM.
# 7
psychic teabag
Old 14-11-2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoc22 View Post
The only problem is we don't use this account for direct debits and I think you are supposed to have two direct debits set up on it.
Any particular reason not to move the "best" D/Ds over to get the cashback. For me, cashback from fuel plus water D/D's cover the fee between them, and the cashback from council tax is just about the same again. So even if you don't want to move all your D/Ds, just picking a couple of good'uns could satisfy the account conditions and the fee.
The Following User Says Thank You to psychic teabag For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
badger09
Old 14-11-2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumminalong View Post
However I have the account, and currently £4k in their variable rate ISA @ 3.3%. If I cant find a better rate when the year is up I will certainly just switch this into 123.
And lose its tax free status?
# 9
ses6jwg
Old 14-11-2012, 6:05 PM

The "motives" as far as I am aware is that Santander want to grow their banking liabilities (the amount held in bank accounts) and overall stock numbers (number of active current accounts).

From my experience if you can manage to put a few thousand in both accounts whilst it's taking place then the account transfer service are very very good. I've done quite a few this year and had no problems at all. The problems arise when people don't put enough money in the account to cover their DD's.

If you don't want to move them all just put 2 on there. The most popular ones are Sky and home/ mobile phones as everyone moans about how expensive they are and you get 3% off.
# 10
Strumminalong
Old 14-11-2012, 6:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger09 View Post
And lose its tax free status?

True, but I'm not sure that would work out a great deal better than interest less tax on the 123 account, when compared with other easy access ISA's that are likely to be around next summer.

Will certainly look around, but this is my emergency fund, and I dont really want to tie it up.
Annuity loan matures - Collect £100.
# 11
daveoc22
Old 15-11-2012, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for all the replies folks.

It seems to make sense, though, giving all that is happening with other accounts, i fear the 3% rate may not last a lot longer.
Waddle you do eh?
# 12
mjjp2
Old 22-02-2014, 2:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Beware of Mis-selling Santander123

I was buttonholed by a sales person during a visit to the local Santander branch. The 3% interest rate was better than any other rate available and she persuaded me to open an account. I said it seemed so good that I could transfer all my savings into the account. She didn't warn me about the £20000 limit. When my 12-month ISA bonus rate expired I put all my retirement savings into the 123 account, but discovered 6 months later from a TV ad that I'd lost all the interest on the retirement savings over 20k that I'd put into the 123 account. I'm a pensioner, already draining away my life-savings through inflation. When I complained to Santander they accepted that I was telling the truth (I do have a witness) but dismissed my claim for compensation on the basis that I should have read the small print. So much for taking responsibility for mis-selling and verbal aspect of the contract I signed. Beware of deceptive and misleading sales staff in Santander branches! I've been advised by various people to keep complaining and also to go to the Banking Ombudsman. I will.

Last edited by mjjp2; 22-02-2014 at 2:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
# 13
eskbanker
Old 22-02-2014, 2:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can have two 123s per person so can get interest on up to £40K in total provided you satisfy all the other terms (DDs, funding, etc). You might be able to convince Santander to make a payment equivalent to a second £20K's worth of interest - the £20K limit is fairly well publicised in the product documentation though (rather than having to wade through the really small print), so I can see where they're coming from about your responsibilities to read about what you're signing up to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eskbanker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Archi Bald
Old 22-02-2014, 3:48 PM

Thanked 3,322 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjp2 View Post
.....but discovered 6 months later from a TV ad that I'd lost all the interest on the retirement savings over 20k
Sorry, no sympathy from me.

Are you seriously suggesting that you did not check your current account, with all your retirement savings in it, not once in 6 months? If you did check it, why did you not notice that you did not get 3% on everything?

It's a pretty sad state of the nation if even people with a whole lifetime of experience don't feel responsible for their own actions.
I have never worked, directly or indirectly, for any financial institution, and have no relatives, friends or personal acquaintances who ever worked for them. There is no likelihood this is to change at any time in the future.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Archi Bald For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Imnoexpert
Old 22-02-2014, 4:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default I have some sympathy

I don't want to comment about this case specifically as I don't know the poster, or the full facts of the situation.

I do think though that anyone selling financial services has responsibilities - moral, ethical, and regulatory which differ from other selling situations. I oversaw my own late mother's affairs in her retirement and to her the people in the Building Society (her building society as she thought of it and as the advertisers reinforced) as friends. I recall her horror when I described them as sales people and she corrected me saying that banks didn't sell things they were advisers - giving advice. My mum was no fool - but a product of her generation, and was not well educated or informed.

I have a 123 account which I opened online recently and it isn't a simple product. I was aware of the rules - though if I'm honest I am awaiting my first interest payment to confirm that I have set it up ok and that the 2 direct debits are acceptable to them and that the £500 transfer went in on time. I must say for example I hadn't appreciated I could have two 123 accounts at first though but as I wasn't looking to do that I probably didn't notice. As an online buyer I accept that my situation differs from someone receiving "advice".

There are lots of people who don't find money management interesting, or easy to understand. Look up the facts on the numbers of people who don't understand simple percentages for example.

I am not a particularly kind/sensitive person and I have spent a career in sales but if I felt I had sold a pensioner an unsuitable product which they hadn't fully understood I should find sleeping at night quite difficult! I hope Santander feel the same.
# 16
ColdIron
Old 22-02-2014, 4:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,657 Times in 897 Posts

Without wishing to be uncharitable the £20,000 limit has always been clearly stated on any material I have ever seen. As mentioned, they even say it on the telly

Salesmen do not act in loco parentis and to expect them to do so is somewhat naive

Ultimately we are all responsible for our own money and don't forget that we all sign a declaration that we have read and understood the Terms and Conditions

Last edited by ColdIron; 22-02-2014 at 5:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ColdIron For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
B1gAl
Old 22-02-2014, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was thinking about moving my ISA savings into this account because i am getting a lot less interest on the savings in my ISA (about 12k) surely I would be better off getting a decent interest rate than a rubbish one tax free? I didn't know i had to have 2 direct debits though so thanks for pointing that out!
# 18
B1gAl
Old 22-02-2014, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The best easy access ISA interest rate is 1.75!!
# 19
Archi Bald
Old 22-02-2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron View Post
Ultimately we are all responsible for our own money and don't forget that we all sign a declaration that we have read and understood the Terms and Conditions
I agree entirely. If somebody feels uneasy about T&Cs, or generally handling their finances, they should be asking for help from a family member or friend, or the CAB, or even an online forum like MSE. Plenty of written information available, plenty of places to go to, and not doing anything pro-active for 6 months to check the transactions on a current account is pretty much unforgiveable.

Imnoexpert - the selling of a current account does not constitute "advice" in financial terms. All the 123 literature and website has always been abundantly clear on the interest. There is even a calculator on the Santander website that allows people to calculate what they should be expecting in terms of interest (and cashback). The OP did state that they understood the TV ad, so there's a fair chance that they would also have understood the 123 leaflets and the 123 website if only they had tried.

Of course it is annoying not to have received interest for 6 months, but the OP has, IMO, only got themselves to blame for it.
I have never worked, directly or indirectly, for any financial institution, and have no relatives, friends or personal acquaintances who ever worked for them. There is no likelihood this is to change at any time in the future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Archi Bald For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Archi Bald
Old 22-02-2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gAl View Post
I was thinking about moving my ISA savings into this account because i am getting a lot less interest on the savings in my ISA (about 12k) surely I would be better off getting a decent interest rate than a rubbish one tax free? I didn't know i had to have 2 direct debits though so thanks for pointing that out!
You also need to pay in £500 each month, otherwise you get no interest. And the account costs £2/mth. Perhaps read up about the account on the Santander website?

Whether it is better for you to have the money in a current account with a variable rate instead of in an ISA only you can tell. Once you take your money out of the ISA, you lost the tax-free wrapper on it for good. To get £12K back into a cash ISA will take you at least 2 tax years.

If you are planning on spending the money in the next couple of years or so, though, you might as well chance it with a current account.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Archi Bald For This Useful Post: Show me >>