PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    esmf73 wrote: »
    This is going to sound silly as I have a small store cupboard and freezers full of food, but what do you guys buy to put in your stores?

buy/store what you use and use what you buy/store

The basics that you know you will use and that will give you energy and nutrition when you need it. that might be tins of mushy peas, packs of rice, baked beans, tinned tomatoes, quinoa, chick peas, lentils, uht milk, teabags, whatever, just make sure it's stuff that you already incorporate into your meals and that you use it and rotate in terms of dates. no point having a store of stuff that you dont like to eat and that is out of date. HTH :)
    Blah
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nuatha wrote: »
    What's the problem with custard?
    I have a stupid intolerance at the moment to dairy, lactose, casein, soy and who knows what else.

I know I could try making proper egg custard with a milk alternate but as my previous attempts at custard have ended up like scrambled egg (using 'normal' ingredients) I am not in a rush to give it a go without a tried and tested recipe. Also I have little to no patience and arthritis so 20 mins of stirring a pan of potential gloop is not going to work for me :(

So anyone that wants to dehydrate some dairy/soy free custard please let me know! :T
    Blah
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 November 2012 at 9:24AM
    Options
    esmf73 wrote: »
    This is going to sound silly as I have a small store cupboard and freezers full of food, but what do you guys buy to put in your stores?

Oh is ex army so we have gas stoves and gas. We have a multi fuel burner and wind up torches. Warm clothes, candles (although probably not enough) and blankets / duvets etc. I've stocked up on toilet rolls, kitchen rolls and that sort of thing. Oh and I need to Los some weight (not too much) but I suppose when shtf I shouldn't be thinking of that.

Ideas welcome.
    :) My stores are stuff that I use anyway, but in larger quantities and used in rotation. The food cupboards in the kitchen are re-loaded from the stores elsewhere, and these are replenished when there are favourable deals around. A simple paper list keeps track of what is where.

It might help to imagine your water is off, and you only have vague promises of when the water company will get it back on again. Rumours abound and the shops have been stripped of bottled water within the first two hours.

Each adult is going to need about 2 litres of water per 24 hours just for drinking (think a large bottle of pop size). You can currently buy these at 17p each, in date for months, then use them and refill them from fresh. They're compact, portable and easy to store.

In your hypothetical waterless home, your 2 litre ration isn't allowing anything for washing dishes, so sensible preppers will have disposable plates, bowls and cups. You also have little or no water for cooking, so you'll want to have foods which are wet, like soups, beans, rice puddings in tins etc, that can be eaten, cooked or uncooked, without requiring added water.

You won't be able to flush your toilet, so have you thought about how you'd handle pints of urine and several ounces of feces every 24 hours? A large bucket with a lid and sacks of lime is one way. Lime is used to spinkle over the waste to cut odour and reduce attraction for flies. Flies on S and then on food and you have disease very quickly.

Another is to bail most of the water from the WC, line it with heavy duty plastic sacks (rubble sacks?) and fill the bag with cat litter of the absorbant kind. Then you'll need to scoop and dispose. People with outside space may want to improvise a privvy. Or at least did a hole to dispose of solids.

You also need to think about handwashing, after these procedures and around food-handling. Have you got sanitiser gels which are used without water? If the grid is down and everything is already very difficult, you don't want to add the squits or worse to the problem.

Personal hygiene also needs attention. Wet wipes can do the smelly bits where water is scarce. Elite military forces stress the importance of personal grooming, even in the direst situations. Keeping clean, tidy and unwhiffy will be important to you. You may well have to go about your everyday business such as your work, without having all the usual facilities at home. For a modern person used to regular bathing, stinking like a polecat is going to demoralise you fast.

Five days after Sandy struck, I was hearing among the issues raised by those in its way that they were running out of clean clothes/ or had actually run out already. Do you have 2-3 weeks' worth of socks and undies for each person in your household? Outer clothes can go a lot longer between launderings, of course, but you want to look at having enough to go at least a couple of weeks without a working washer, which could happen to any of us, of course.

Clothes are available very cheaply secondhand or even for nothing on Freecycle so even those on modest incomes shouldn't find this an insurmoutable problem. Hopefully, you haven't currently got most of your clothes backed up unwashed in the laundry pile.

Also, consider receptacles for water. I've seen stand-taps in the street in the droughts of the 1970s. If the water company can't get water on to your homes, they may re-appear, as may water bowsers. Have you got receptacles to take to the source and have you means of carrying them back home? 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo (2.2 lb) so carrying a few 2 litre bottles will cause you to know all about it.

If you have, or plan to acquire, larger water carriers from a camping store, have you checked their weight when full? I've lived for most of a summer among travelling players working the fairs and camping out and carting water about was a major PITA. You need a lot of upper-body strength. Unless you're built like He-Man, have you thought about a sturdy luggage carrier or sack barrow? And bungee cords (2 for 99P in the 99p Store) to hold the carriers in place?

If you can't use your washing machine, you may well end up doing stuff with water such as handwashing or other stuff. Have you buckets and those smaller rubber trugs are great. You can bathe small children in the bigger ones. although you won't be moving them around once even half full of water.

Soo, just a little thought-exercise on one aspect of prepping. They don't call water the critical resource for nothing.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Great post (as always ) greyqueen!!!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    Great post (as always ) greyqueen!!!
    :o Thanks, hun.

Water has been on my mind as my LL will be ripping out my bathroom (inc the WC:eek:) within the next month. Should be fairly mimimal amount of time without a working loo but it concentrates the mind wonderfully........:rotfl:Plus having lived in the woods with the Mad Bushcrafters, I'm familiar with doing my biz in latrines.......

Re sourcing water (and maintaining the ole OPSEC) I added 2 more 2 litre bottles to my stash over the weekend and these were sneakily added to what appears to be a pile of carp on the shelving system in my bikeshed here at the block. This steel shelving system is bolted to the block's wall and should be pretty sturdy.

If anyone reads all of my post and thinks OMG too much, can't do that. Don't panic. You can get disposable crocks (paper and polystrene) from the poundstores, bottled water is much cheaper than chips, it's all do-able if you plan and pre-position yourself. It won't break the bank nor cause you to be taken away by the men in white coats.

On Ferfal's blog, comments are coming in from NYC and NJ and telling how it is for them, and long-term Ferfal-inpsired preppers report that they're managing well despite the problems, thanks to having the wit to follow his advice.

For people like me without the use of a car, prepping that involves heavy things like canned food and bottled water has to be done a bit at a time. Even those who could sling stuff by the crate into the back of a big car or van will have to factor in that others will be trying to do the same thing at the same time, and that the roads/ stores could be gridlocked, the roads blocked by weather(or other) related events and that there could even be brawling for essentials.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Sunshine4
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) My stores are stuff that I use anyway, but in larger quantities and used in rotation. The food cupboards in the kitchen are re-loaded from the stores elsewhere, and these are replenished when there are favourable deals around. A simple paper list keeps track of what is where.

It might help to imagine your water is off, and you only have vague promises of when the water company will get it back on again. Rumours abound and the shops have been stripped of bottled water within the first two hours.

Each adult is going to need about 2 litres of water per 24 hours just for drinking (think a large bottle of pop size). You can currently buy these at 17p each, in date for months, then use them and refill them from fresh. They're compact, portable and easy to store.

In your hypothetical waterless home, your 2 litre ration isn't allowing anything for washing dishes, so sensible preppers will have disposable plates, bowls and cups. You also have little or no water for cooking, so you'll want to have foods which are wet, like soups, beans, rice puddings in tins etc, that can be eaten, cooked or uncooked, without requiring added water.

You won't be able to flush your toilet, so have you thought about how you'd handle pints of urine and several ounces of feces every 24 hours? A large bucket with a lid and sacks of lime is one way. Lime is used to spinkle over the waste to cut odour and reduce attraction for flies. Flies on S and then on food and you have disease very quickly.

Another is to bail most of the water from the WC, line it with heavy duty plastic sacks (rubble sacks?) and fill the bag with cat litter of the absorbant kind. Then you'll need to scoop and dispose. People with outside space may want to improvise a privvy. Or at least did a hole to dispose of solids.

You also need to think about handwashing, after these procedures and around food-handling. Have you got sanitiser gels which are used without water? If the grid is down and everything is already very difficult, you don't want to add the squits or worse to the problem.

Personal hygiene also needs attention. Wet wipes can do the smelly bits where water is scarce. Elite military forces stress the importance of personal grooming, even in the direst situations. Keeping clean, tidy and unwhiffy will be important to you. You may well have to go about your everyday business such as your work, without having all the usual facilities at home. For a modern person used to regular bathing, stinking like a polecat is going to demoralise you fast.

Five days after Sandy struck, I was hearing among the issues raised by those in its way that they were running out of clean clothes/ or had actually run out already. Do you have 2-3 weeks' worth of socks and undies for each person in your household? Outer clothes can go a lot longer between launderings, of course, but you want to look at having enough to go at least a couple of weeks without a working washer, which could happen to any of us, of course.

Clothes are available very cheaply secondhand or even for nothing on Freecycle so even those on modest incomes shouldn't find this an insurmoutable problem. Hopefully, you haven't currently got most of your clothes backed up unwashed in the laundry pile.

Also, consider receptacles for water. I've seen stand-taps in the street in the droughts of the 1970s. If the water company can't get water on to your homes, they may re-appear, as may water bowsers. Have you got receptacles to take to the source and have you means of carrying them back home? 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo (2.2 lb) so carrying a few 2 litre bottles will cause you to know all about it.

If you have, or plan to acquire, larger water carriers from a camping store, have you checked their weight when full? I've lived for most of a summer among travelling players working the fairs and camping out and carting water about was a major PITA. You need a lot of upper-body strength. Unless you're built like He-Man, have you thought about a sturdy luggage carrier or sack barrow? And bungee cords (2 for 99P in the 99p Store) to hold the carriers in place?

If you can't use your washing machine, you may well end up doing stuff with water such as handwashing or other stuff. Have you buckets and those smaller rubber trugs are great. You can bathe small children in the bigger ones. although you won't be moving them around once even half full of water.

Soo, just a little thought-exercise on one aspect of prepping. They don't call water the critical resource for nothing.

GQ I always love your posts this one is great.
    Well I am off to Manchester today for four weeks to stay with a friend while her OH is away, both myself and OH.
    Not sure how often I will get on while there.
    In the mean time stay warm and safe everyone and see you when I get back.

Denise:):)
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only time I will use my bottled water when not needed for a real disaster is when the pipes are being cleaned. The water is revolting and undrinkable then. They seem to do it once a year or so here and without warning.

If it goes out of date it does not matter since it can be used for all other things apart from consuming it. I will just keep on adding to the store so there is always fresh to drink.

Just one point I learned from another group. Do not store plastic bottles on a concrete floor, always put a wood pallet or something else down first because the bottles break down on concrete.
  • grandma247
    Options
    Wondercollie I still feel it was a bit stupid given how dire things are. If the fuel was not needed for getting to work it would have been better to keep it for an emergency evacuation, what would he have done if he could not get any more fuel? He may have been stuck miles from home and had to walk. I know the distances are much greater than here.

Big cars usually have big tanks and a half tank in a big car is more than one in a small car. Driving slower would conserve fuel too. You still get there.

Not being argumentative here I am just trying to see the bigger picture.
  • grandma247
    edited 5 November 2012 at 11:21AM
    Options
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grandma thank you for the links, have read one and will read the rest and take notes later. I tried to de-hydrate potatoes but they went black, Will try again now I have read that.

Dd was off to Ikea on Friday for a storage unit and brought me a present back - candles! a nice big box too. That was the one thing I was low on and I hadnt fitted a trip to Ikea in my shopping route so was very pleased.

I had decided on a new plan for my freezers and DS was in Mr T the other day and was just telling his girlie about my plan when out of the corner of his eye he saw an assistant lugging huge gammon slabs onto a display and he thought of me :rotfl: Half price no less so we now have a slowcooked then crisped up in the oven plate of ham to last us .

My kids do listen to me thank goodness.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business