Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Feedback for WeBuyBooks (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Feedback for WeBuyBooks
Views: 7,296
# 1
Former MSE Becca
Old 30-10-2012, 5:10 PM
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Feedback for WeBuyBooks

This thread is specifically to discuss feedback for

WeBuyBooks (Link)

If you've traded in games, books, DVDs or CDs using WeBuyBooks, please give us your feedback.

To find out about other ways to make money in a hurry, read the main
Boost Your Income guide

Thanks for your help,
MSE Becca

Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 30-10-2012 at 5:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Former MSE Becca For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Abrielle
Old 31-10-2012, 12:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Having read about this site on the MSE newsletter today, I tried entering two ISBN numbers on modern books. The response was that they wouldn't buy these books as demand is low.

I buy quite a few books from Green Metropolis but rarely sell through them as its hardly worth the return after paying p&p.

As I am not keen on listing items on eBay, can anyone recommend a way of selling books which are read once and are in really good condition?

I'm not looking to make a lot but a reasonable return would be nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abrielle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Sixer
Old 31-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Take up of books can be sketchy here. But it's worth keeping hold of books that are rejected once - they are sometimes taken up on a later try a few weeks later. I have good success with recent fiction.

If you do manage to sell books, I have found the service excellent. They email on receipt and I've never had a book sent be rejected for payment. Money follows promptly.

As a regular customer, they even sent me a free barcode scanner to speed things up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sixer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
PiriPiri
Old 31-10-2012, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was thinking of using this service since I've just cleared my Dad's house and have boxes of books, however, they are mainly old books from around the 60's, but in good condition.
I would imagine some are quite rare, would WeBuyBooks be a good place to unload them or should I get someone to check if anything is worth more than average first?
The Following User Says Thank You to PiriPiri For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
fluffpot
Old 31-10-2012, 1:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've used them before- not the best prices but very quick payment and no quibbling. I could have got more on eabay but quite frankly want to have a life!
PiriPiri - I would use the site to check the prices of some of the books and if they are on the high side, then get them checked first
The Following User Says Thank You to fluffpot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Abrielle
Old 31-10-2012, 4:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have just entered the ISBN codes for about half a dozen books (autobiography, novel, crime novels) and We Buy Books won't take any of them!

I've looked on eBay's completed listings and see that copies of books I own were not sold so I don't think it's worth listing them on eBay!

Last edited by Abrielle; 31-10-2012 at 4:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abrielle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Sparhawke
Old 03-01-2013, 1:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I work in a charity bookshop in Blackburn (Rebound) and I am familiar with these guys as they collect books from us that we cannot sell every Thursday though we do know them as Revival books (they are the same company).

They are prompt and very fair on prices and never try to argue about prices always paying us right then and there, sure you could probably get more doing it yourself on Amazon or Ebay or even Abebooks but lets face it, it could take months for you to sell even one and it is a way of getting some cash raised quickly

Yes, I understand that they cannot take every book, but honestly who would be able to buy 200 copies of Dan Brown and be able to sell them when every charity shop in the land has multiple copies?
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Techie, Boost Your Income & Consumer Rights Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly; I can move and merge posts there. BGs are not moderators and don't read every post. On spotting an inappropriate or illegal post please report to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse or moderate the forums in any other way). Any views are mine and not the official line of MSE
If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you do not understand it
~ Albert Einstein

Last edited by Sparhawke; 03-01-2013 at 1:39 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawke For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
keza123
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am trying to register at the moment but can't get to the right page, I think my connection is a bit dodgy at the minute. If you follow them on google+ they will release a code for followers which gives you so many extra % on top of your offer. I think last time it was 10% K
Challenges 2013 in 2013 142.26/2013 ** 365 in 365 Days 7/365 ** SPC6 1963 ** Swag Bucks 1,673 & 50 AGC (Feb 10k challenge 165/10000) Inbox Pounds 3.27 ** Point Shop 774 + 30 AGC
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keza123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
JonBoyWalton83
Old 02-10-2013, 6:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Upon trying to use 'WeBuyBooks', I found that no matter how i entered the ISBN number, none of the books I put in were accepted as sell-able. Some books were popular, some more obscure and interesting. However none were accepted. They seem to be rather picky.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonBoyWalton83 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Wizzbang
Old 03-10-2013, 7:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 3,836 Times in 1,620 Posts

This is my go-to website for trading in books, CDs and DVDs. They nearly always pay top dollar, although I always check against the other available sites. It's quick and easy, they pay promptly and keep your informed every step of the way. My only annoyance is once they quibbled about 1 item on my list and said it wasn't included. I wish they would send you a list of what you submitted. Once you've clicked to send them, you lose all record of what you are submitting. So make sure you take a screen shot before you get to that point and photograph every item in your box, so you have proof if anything does go awry. I don't think they were taking the mic, I had sold the item in question elsewhere and obviously hadn't spotted it was still on the list. But just to be sure!
Minimalist
Extra income since 01/11/12
Swagbucks
Debt free (inc mortgage 30/04/14)!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzbang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Sheepfan
Old 21-01-2014, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I traded in 2 boxes of old DVDs and books this month - one to these guys and the other to Music Magpie.

Both honoured the amount quoted online, but WeBuyBooks was much quicker in paying me - took about a week whereas Music Magpie took more than a fortnight.

In general Music Magpie paid more for DVDs, but obviously don't take books. WeBuyBooks gave me a price for almost all of my old books, the only ones they didn't want were older "chic-lit" ones.

Last edited by Sheepfan; 21-01-2014 at 11:55 AM.
# 12
PageSeos
Old 21-01-2014, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello, I am new for WEbuybooks. I occasionally purchase good online and prefer Ebay or Amazon
# 13
Sparhawke
Old 24-01-2014, 4:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 2,256 Times in 798 Posts

Just a further message on these, a few people say that they cannot get them to accept their books; they do like more the teachers training manuals and sociology type books than fiction, so if you are knocking around a few cheap ones in a charity shop it may be worth taking a closer look
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Techie, Boost Your Income & Consumer Rights Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly; I can move and merge posts there. BGs are not moderators and don't read every post. On spotting an inappropriate or illegal post please report to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse or moderate the forums in any other way). Any views are mine and not the official line of MSE
If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you do not understand it
~ Albert Einstein
# 14
magic57
Old 27-01-2014, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've sold loads of books on WeBuyBooks and I'm really pleased with the service. I've made a couple of hundred pounds over the last two years or so.
They give a fair price and you get payment really quickly. They want mostly non fiction science type books text books etc. Don't bother with fiction as they don't often accept them. Any uni students can do well getting rid of text books. I've run out of books for now though.
The Following User Says Thank You to magic57 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
SpecialBrew
Old 04-02-2014, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanked 1,276 Times in 155 Posts

I used these for the first time on Friday, sending them a mix of books (26 in total) that were mostly about computer programming, plus some reference books for gemstones and herbs etc and a few paperback biographies of film directors which my husband won in a competition. I applied a 10% voucher code which I found on their Facebook page, they offered me just short of 29 and so I sent the lot off.

Yesterday (Monday) I got an e-mail telling me they'd received them, and today I got an e-mail telling me that everything had been accepted and they were transferring the cash as promised. It had already hit my bank account by the time I'd finished reading the e-mail.

I've used Music Magpie for DVDs in the past and agree with the poster above who said that WeBuyBooks pay out a lot quicker. I found the whole WeBuyBooks experience simple and surprisingly speedy from start to payment, and can wholeheartedly recommend them.
29/09/13 - total debt: 1,225.66
06/05/14: DEBT FREE!
Now aiming to lose 51 excess lbs - 19 gone, 32 left (37.25% of target met ).
July
'Make 10 A Day' Challenge - 0.35/155.00

# 16
JimJakes88
Old 16-02-2014, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to JimJakes88 Send a message via Skype™ to JimJakes88

"boost your income guide" looks good and I usually trade in books DVD and digital products. Ebay and amazon is priority but WeBuyBooks also rocks!
# 17
adgibs
Old 02-04-2014, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I used WeBuyBooks for the first time this week. Two packages of about 15 Sony PSP games that the kids didnt want any more. All were good working condition and boxed. They offered an ok price so I was pleased until I got emails for both packages saying that there were damaged and scratched disks and that they would reduce the amount they would pay and recycle the faulty items. I emailed to ask for those in question back and got a reply saying that they were in error and that all the items were ok and they would honour the original amount. Call me suspicious but both email replies looked like copy and paste and said they would be "talking the team involved" - not sure what that means. Im wary of using them again as I wanted a hassle free way of doing business. It would have been easier selling on ebay and I'd have got more for them. It was worth a try though.
# 18
misskl
Old 03-04-2014, 2:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default good service

I tried to sell about 40 books with we buy books, about 25 of them got accepted (they recycled the rest, which I was happy with).

I got a lovely cheque for about 23!

Happy with the service, it's easy, you just buy a box, stick your label on and take it to a local collect point.

Would definitely use again.
2014: The year I finally* start saving and start to clear my debts!
*LBM- October 2013*
~Debt (Loan): 6379 remaining (secured on car-4.5k)
~ Debt (Card) 2700
~ISA(Emergency) savings:1346~

~Plan to be debt free by February 2015~