Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Test our new Samsung Galaxy phones comparison too... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Test our new Samsung Galaxy phones comparison tool
Views: 4,579
# 1
Former MSE Becca
Old 16-10-2012, 1:51 PM
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Test our new Samsung Galaxy phones comparison tool

Help us test our new Samsung Galaxy phones comparison tool.

You asked for it, and we've made it! Our new Samsung Galaxy phones comparison tool lets you compare deals for the most popular Samsung phones: the S2, 23, Note, Note 2, Ace, Ace 2 and the Nexus.

Like the iPhone comparison tool, we've included a full comparison tool, a "What can I afford?" tool, which lets you find an Samsung for your budget, and our MSE top picks.

It would be great if you could spare 10 minutes to help us test it.

What we’d like feedback on

Anything and everything about the tool's functionality. What works for you? What doesn't? Have you spotted any glitches or bugs? Are there any other features you think should be included? Noticed any typos?

What’s not finished?

We're still working on a number of things, including:
  • The pop-ups - the text for these isn't finished yet.
  • The top picks - we haven't written anything about the top picks yet, but this will follow shortly.
  • The guide - isn't completely styled yet, so you may notice some funny boxes/styling/caching issues.

Click reply to post your feedback. Please include the browser you're using the tool in, and the version of that browser (if you know it).

Thanks in advance,
MSE Becca

www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/Compare-cheap-Samsung-galaxy-s-s2-s

Last edited by Former MSE Ian; 16-10-2012 at 3:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
grumbler
Old 16-10-2012, 2:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Contracts and phones directly from networks almost never are the best option.

I see a sim-free S3 for 399(!) at Asda Direct (vs 500 PAYG in your tool).

And it hardly makes any sense to pay 457 in total for S3 on O2 contract with zero data allowance.

Just my thoughts..., but congratulations on expanding your efforts beyond iPhone only.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed

Last edited by grumbler; 16-10-2012 at 3:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to grumbler For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Idiophreak
Old 16-10-2012, 2:52 PM

1. Choose the right phone for you

"Compare" seems to be spelt wrong on the button...

ETA: I did a quick run through the Note 2 comparison, too, having got one a few days ago and noticed a couple of things:
1) Mobiles.co.uk tariff is wrong:
T-Mobile 300 3000 2GB 0.00 31.00 31.00 24mths 744.00
When you click through to the site, you find it's 1.5GB, not 2...may be significant to some people.
2) the deal:
T-Mobile 300 3000 2GB 9.00 31.00 31.38 24mths 753.00 Get it from:Mobile Phones Direct*
Doesn't seem to exist on the MPD website, it seems to be 55 handset cost, not 9 - unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by Idiophreak; 16-10-2012 at 3:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiophreak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MillicentBystander
Old 16-10-2012, 3:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Three Mobile* Best Sim-only deal for tethering.

If you've got a phone on the Three network, it has a competitive all-you-can-eat data Sim-only* deal. For 12.90/month on a one-month rolling contract, you get 200 minutes, 5,000 texts and unlimited mobile data. This Three Mobile deal doesn't allow for tethering. More info

I would dispute this. Virgin Mobile allow tethering on all their SIM Only deals with no extra needing to be paid. Also 30 day rolling contracts. For 90p/mth less than the SIM only 3 deal you quote, which bizarrely doesn't allow tethering, you can get:

150 minutes
Unlimited texts
Unlimited Mobile Web

Tethering allowed/included in standard price.
# 5
Aidy
Old 16-10-2012, 3:37 PM

Samsung S3 mini was announced recently - 4" screen, runs jelly bean etc. Phones 4 U are taking orders now.

Would be worth including as possibility a better option than the Ace or S2?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
MillicentBystander
Old 16-10-2012, 3:44 PM

According to gsmarena the S3 Mini is like the S3 in name/styling only. A marketing exercise in other words.

Quote:
First impressions
Sadly, the Samsung Galaxy S III mini isn't the compacted version of the Galaxy S III flagship some may’ve hoped for. What we got instead is a Galaxy S Advance on a new chassis and a minor RAM upgrade. In fact, on one market or the other, the Galaxy S Advance was known as the Samsung Galaxy S II Lite, so you can guess where this is going.
We are not saying that a slightly refined Galaxy S Advance doesn't make a great mid-range smartphone. In fact we are certain that, if priced right, the Samsung Galaxy S III mini will sell in millions, not least because of its resemblance to Samsung’s flagship.
That doesn't change the fact that Samsung is simply trying to use the well-established name to promote a far less inspiring product. A valid marketing strategy that might as well be, but it’s not impossible for it to backfire. It took the company three years to build the S lineup into a synonym of premium smartphone experience, but overpopulating it with ordinary handsets runs the risk of taking some of the magic away.
That said, bringing some magic to the masses would be the exact opposite school of thought – and Samsung may be getting ready for the holiday season already.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i819...review-829.php

Last edited by MillicentBystander; 16-10-2012 at 3:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillicentBystander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Mobeer
Old 16-10-2012, 8:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The Cheapest S3 deal overall is a bit odd. It seems to be calculated as 5.01 cheaper than the no upfront cost 24 month contract yet:
1) no allowance is made for the longer contract of the no up front deal. If the "Cheapest S3 overall" deal is calculated over 24 months it comes to considerably more than the no upfront deal over the same period.
2) no allowance is made for the 129.99 upfront cost being worth more than the more gradual payments of the no upfront cost deal. Surely the future costs should be discounted to a net present value?
# 8
drewziph
Old 16-10-2012, 9:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You are failing to make the distinction between 3g and LTE handsets (for NOTE 2 and S3) which is a big differentiator and will be increasingly important in the next two years.
The Following User Says Thank You to drewziph For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Former MSE Becca
Old 17-10-2012, 9:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewziph View Post
You are failing to make the distinction between 3g and LTE handsets (for NOTE 2 and S3) which is a big differentiator and will be increasingly important in the next two years.

Thanks for your feedback drewziph - we'll look at adding in a section about 3G and 4G later today.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca
# 10
Former MSE Becca
Old 17-10-2012, 9:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Grumbler, thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbler View Post
I see a sim-free S3 for 399(!) at Asda Direct (vs 500 PAYG in your tool).
We're going to look at adding links to other retailers Sim-free phones later today

Quote:
And it hardly makes any sense to pay 457 in total for S3 on O2 contract with zero data allowance.
We were having a few issues with the data feed that powers the tool last night, but all should be fixed now. If you notice any other discrepancies between our tool and the actual deals available, please let us know.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca
# 11
Former MSE Becca
Old 17-10-2012, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillicentBystander View Post
I would dispute this. Virgin Mobile allow tethering on all their SIM Only deals with no extra needing to be paid. Also 30 day rolling contracts. For 90p/mth less than the SIM only 3 deal you quote, which bizarrely doesn't allow tethering, you can get:

150 minutes
Unlimited texts
Unlimited Mobile Web

Tethering allowed/included in standard price.

Thanks MillicentBystander, we're checking out the Virgin Sim-only offering now and will add it in later if it checks out.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca
# 12
Former MSE Becca
Old 17-10-2012, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Samsung S3 mini was announced recently - 4" screen, runs jelly bean etc. Phones 4 U are taking orders now.

Would be worth including as possibility a better option than the Ace or S2?

Already in the pipeline Aidy - will hopefully be adding it in before the end of the week.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca
# 13
MillicentBystander
Old 17-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Becca View Post
Thanks MillicentBystander, we're checking out the Virgin Sim-only offering now and will add it in later if it checks out.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

No problems, Virgin are a bit 'under the radar' and I only discovered they allow tethering as standard very recently (they don't seem keen to advertise it lol). To aid your research, this may be of help:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...o/td-p/1102501
The Following User Says Thank You to MillicentBystander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Bazzzer2
Old 17-10-2012, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cashback...

Hello,
Do the calculations include the dreaded "cashback"?
If not, why not?
Ta!
# 15
Former MSE Becca
Old 17-10-2012, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillicentBystander View Post
No problems, Virgin are a bit 'under the radar' and I only discovered they allow tethering as standard very recently (they don't seem keen to advertise it lol). To aid your research, this may be of help:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...o/td-p/1102501

Thanks for this - been speaking to the press team at Virgin Media, however it has informed us that "tethering is not supported on its tariffs".

It pointed out that the Virgin rep's response on that forum was now out-of-date.

Are you able to use tethering on your Virgin Mobile tariff?

Thanks in advance,
MSE Becca
# 16
MillicentBystander
Old 17-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this - been speaking to the press team at Virgin Media, however it has informed us that "tethering is not supported on its tariffs".

It pointed out that the Virgin rep's response on that forum was now out-of-date.

Thanks in advance,
MSE Becca

Bizarre. I haven't actually ordered the SIM yet (it's for my son who's currently in rented property whilst he looks for a property to buy so didn't want a land line but wanted net access). Out of date?? The info was given less than a month ago! Like I suggested before, it seems like Virgin don't actually want the fact they allow tethering to be known publicly (if you note I did have to prompt the moderator on their forum for the answer!). Bizarre indeed. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Last edited by MillicentBystander; 17-10-2012 at 12:08 PM.
# 17
jem16
Old 17-10-2012, 3:35 PM

Quote:
My daughter-in-law is able to use tethering on her Virgin sim only deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jem16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Former MSE Becca
Old 17-10-2012, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem16 View Post
My daughter-in-law is able to use tethering on her Virgin sim only deal.
Thanks Jem - we're still waiting for a reply from Virgin before deciding whether we add it into the guide or not. Would be handy to know which Sim-only deal your daughter-in-law is on?

Many thanks,
MSE Becca
# 19
jem16
Old 17-10-2012, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jem - we're still waiting for a reply from Virgin before deciding whether we add it into the guide or not. Would be handy to know which Sim-only deal your daughter-in-law is on?

Many thanks,
MSE Becca
She has the 7pm Mobile Sim Only tariff for Virgin customers.

I just had an online chat with Virgin and the operator confirmed tethering is inlcuded in both the 7 and 10 Sim only deals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jem16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
MillicentBystander
Old 17-10-2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

I also have an email (dated 4/10/12) with name of a contact at Virgin Media confirming that tethering is allowed but I've tried PM'ing you and it didn't seem to work? Don't really want to put on here as probably not fair on the contact. If you want the name just PM me but here's the email I got sans the name

Quote:
Hello *******,

Thanks for your email about our fair usage policies.

We appreciate you taking the time to write to us about this and we're happy to advise.

We'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for the delay in replying to your email, we've been experiencing a higher email volume than normal.

It's great to hear you're thinking of joining us!

The great news is that all our new Pay Monthly tariffs now come with truly unlimited tariffs.

There are no fair use policies and no limits. You can simply use as much as you like. So if its time to change your tariff, you could be getting more for your money on any of these tariffs. You can find out more at virginmobile.co.uk/paymonthly.

If youd like to learn more about the fair usage policies connected with these tariffs, just go to virginmobile.co.uk/legalstuff.

Just so you know, you'll be able to tether, if the phone you're using has the capability.

However, we don't support this service, so unfortunately if you have any technical problems, you'd need to refer back to your user guide. We're sorry we wont be able to fully support you on this.

We hope this helps to answer your queries.
Kind regards,

Virgin Media

Got any other questions? No problem. Head over to virginmobile.co.uk/help for all the answers. Weve got FAQs, phone manuals and guides, information on how to manage your account online, and much, much more.
HTH