August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    JJ, you are amazing. :A Well done. :j

Nothing is coming out of the freezer today and no shopping will be done either.
    I am out with family for the day and I baked all afternoon yesterday to take stuff with me.

I hope everyone has a low or no spend day. :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • cowboymum
    cowboymum Posts: 242
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Had a bit of a spendy day yesterday but I don't think any of it came out of grocery budget;

£7.70 on chutney making bits and flour (this come out of second purse as I charge myself for bread etc.
    £7 on new bread pans (put this on credit card - will hopefully pay it from third purse)
    £6.50 on pharmacy bits for me (out of my spend budget)

Went on a bit of a forage on friday evening so yesterday made 4 jars wild plum jam, 4 jars plum chutney, 2loaves bread, 8 rolls and blackberry and apple tray bake! V pleased with myself!
    We also went to the beach yesterday - it was glorious! Lots of swimming in the sea. Spent £5.70 on ice lollies!!!! Going again today but no lolly money left.
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I was shopping last night for a home delivery today but I never got round to checking the order out.

There were lots of things I was ordering *just because* they were on offer.

I'm sure I can make do..... plus I hadn't meal planned so found myself struggling to work out what I needed and finding myself buying stuff *just in case*.

I haven't been keeping tabs on my spends over the last few months but I will hopefully get back to budgeting properly and keeping proper track. It would be nice to save some pennies in advance of the 25th day of Month 12!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2012 at 9:46AM
    jumblejack wrote: »
    What to do if you come across a YS coconut: ..

that's a really useful post, jumblejack :T I've added it to the index under 'Cakes, Biscuits..'
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    that's a really useful post, jumblejack :T I've added it to the index under 'Cakes, Biscuits..'

Cheers :beer: is there a miscellaneous section perhaps for things like HM coconut milk/coconut butter, etc? There was another great post yesterday with a method for making alternative milks. It inspired me to have a bash with the coconut:T

I am gonna try making macaroons later and coconut and banana icecream. I can't wait to use up the ingredients now :j
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2012 at 1:44PM
    Hey, havnt posted in a couple of days as have been super busy doing fun things with the kids. Friday was a trip to a local forest with a massive range of outdoor play equipment, great for the wide range of kids ages, i bought a season pass for the car park which was £50 (not from the GC budget of course ) but now we can go whenever we like, its a bargain as it would cost £10 a day to park so once weve gone 5 times it's free :D Yesterday was a trip to the beach, Relativly cheap day although we did have chips and ice cream. I've yet to tot up the last few days sepends and add it to my sig will do that later.

Also does anyone have any good recipies for using pork strips as got some cheap in C0-0P yesterday, nothing spicy, more of a pork casserole type thing, X

Ok total spends are now

£61.04 - Household.
    £80.26 - Diesel.
    £468.72 - food.
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2012 at 2:01PM
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Cheers :beer: is there a miscellaneous section perhaps for things like HM coconut milk/coconut butter, etc? There was another great post yesterday with a method for making alternative milks. It inspired me to have a bash with the coconut:T

oh, thanks for the reminder, I meant to add that one.

I promise I will catch up on the previous threads and get the sections sorted soon, been badly distracted by the olympics and RL things :D

ETA: Have added Caterina'spost re Making milk and moved jumblejack's post re YS coconut to the new Miscellaneous section (in post #7 for now).

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    KatyReed+5 wrote: »
    Also does anyone have any good recipies for using pork strips as got some cheap in C0-0P yesterday, nothing spicy, more of a pork casserole type thing, X
    KatyReed+5 - I bought some today. I will be making my own BBQ sauce which is a squeeze of ketchup, a dash of vinegar, a dash of worcester sauce and an optional dash of tabasco (leave this out for non spicy) and a squeeze of honey. I whisk this together and paint the pork belly strips then put them in a covered casserole on 160 degrees for an hour, turning them once. If it's a nice day we then bung them on the BBQ and use the juice as a marinade but they are cooked after an hour, the BBQ just makes them slightly treacle-coated and yummy. If you want them sticky but without the BBQ take the lid off the casserole and leave them in another 15-20 minutes, possibly turn them up to 175.

We will be having them with mash and runner beans (from the garden)

BTW I use a fan oven so add 10 degrees if yours isn't!

HTH
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Suffolk lass, I've added your pork strips in hm barbecue sauce to the recipe index. I've also added an entry for the HM barbecue sauce :beer:

• savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Just Popping by to say £25 spent on food last night (eating out) have updated signature- hopefull no more spends for August GC!!

Some great recipes on here last few days

Bossymoo- your coleslaw looked great :D
    JJ- your cakes looked amazing :D
    Suffolk Lass- Yum yum BBQ belly pork- sounds lovely :D

Im thinking Suffolk Lass BBQ pork with Bossymoo coleslaw followed by JJ Lime & coconut cupcakes would be a lovely meal next weekend :T

I cant wait :rotfl:
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure