August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all

Nsd here today. Haven't been out, except to dig up spuds with the kiddies. The garden is now empty. Can't find one single apple on our tree, which is usually laden with heavy branches by now...

Kiddies had a picnic lunch including cheese toasties made with tortillas, some baby corn and cucumber sticks. I've had my leftover coleslaw with whatever was in the fridge. Will get some chicken out for a roast dinner tomorrow, DS wants "stuff" aka stuffing. Think I've got a few yorskhires in the freezer too.

No grocery spends planned tomorrow, or indeed until Wednesday hopefully. But I do need to get DS measured for shoes. Hoping there's not a mad pre-term rush :(
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    MILLYMOLLY wrote: »
    I have made a banana cake in sandwich tins but I'm not sure what to put in the middle has anybody got an easy recipe please
    Thanks

Hi MILLYMOLLY -

You could go really simple with a lemon flavoured buttercream

soften 50g (quarter block) butter or spread (if not butter add a few drops of vanlla extract) and gradually add
    about 3 tablespoons of icing sugar, and lemon juice to give it a tang (add more sugar if the lemon makes it too soft).

Or more complicated if you wanted to add stuff like chopped pecans, dessicated coconut and or cream cheese. Add more vanilla if you add cream cheese - this is then the frosting that americans love

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Well today was another NSD - I've lost count now for my sig :o

I made cakes to take to work, and one of our volunteers came with a beautiful bunch of flowers to say thanks! That was lovely :)
    2024 Fashion on the ration 0/66 used
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    jasmin10 wrote: »
    Well I knew it would happen. I did get the few bits I needed and used my pinecone vouchers but I still needed a couple of bits. So today I went to Mr T and got them, including a free box of nestle cereal using my voucher and some sanex deo for 39p again using my voucher. Also found some laundry detergent that works out cheaper than powder and its the posh flavour ones. 25 washes and its £1, both Mr M and Mr T have them in.

Anyhow will work out the damage and update my sign - that first week I blew £168 has haunted me all month, cant wait for my new month to start.

Edit - worked out that I spent 30.61 today so has taken me over budget by 226.02. Hopefully wont need anything else now. :(

Some good bargains there but I dont think you mean you are over budget by 226.02.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Slimming World at target
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Got to update my spend, bought a few things, mostly non GC related, but just found out the eBay seller Mr Suds Soap Factory and ordered the 10 kg bucket of broken dishwasher tablets, that's an amazing bargain! So will need to be extra careful in the next few days until I know that I am safely back within budget.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    A Mr S shop yesterday morning of £8.60 and £2.97 in the 99p shop in the afternoon so updating my total to £96.45/£200.

Gonna be a hot night, just got the fan out of the cellar and dusted it off. Must be a couple of years since it was last so hot that we needed it.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2012 at 8:42PM
    What to do if you come across a YS coconut:

Having recently come across a couple of coconuts for 9p each, I thought I would tackle the challenge head on to get the most from them....

Step 1
    I pierced 2 of the 3 eyes and drained the water. You may simply drink this healthy drink if you wish.

I used this as part of the icing for my lime and coconut cupcakes this morning:

A6EDB3FC-B2DE-4439-9EDB-091E378578C9-366-0000004713350758.jpg?t=1345309247

Step 2:
    This evening I popped the hairy orb into the warm oven for about 10 mins then let it cool.

This made it easier to crack with the back of a knife. I tapped it firmly all the way round the centre and prised it open.

As it was partially dehydrated, the flesh was very easy to prise out!

I then peeled off the hard skin with a Y peeler and cut the flesh into small chunks.

This was chucked into a blender with about a litre of warm water and blended for a couple of mins:
    9FFC5C8D-0050-45F8-B4E1-73BD6E2E70BF-689-0000007EA974FAA6.jpg?t=1345321043

Step 3:
    Strain through a fine mesh sieve or flannel etc:
    B26085F7-2C56-4961-A8D5-61BDAA876024-689-0000007FA9F2D47E.jpg?t=1345321191

Step 4:
    Behold the spoils of your labour: fresh frothy coconut milk and lots of fluffy coconut flesh for baking with:T:j

9B93B1AB-CB23-462E-83EA-2BA1AE1E235C-689-000000817A30CE17.jpg?t=1345321555
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,543
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ended up going shopping again today as we needed fruit and there was nothing suitable in Ald! last night.

Today:
    Mr S £46.47

Total spend for Aug £250.89/£310

We may just make it to the end of the month in budget but we will need milk and fruit before the end of the month and possibly some veg (some in the freezer along with plenty of HM meals full of veg) depending on what meals we have, I really need to get to grips with meal planning, for some reason I struggle. I have know idea what we are eating tomorrow and we are likely to have sausage meat plait either Monday or Friday, not exactly what you would call a plan.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • MoneyQueen
    MoneyQueen Posts: 927
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have had a moneysaving week as only spent £1.45 (£1 on carrots from Lidl and £0.45 on a chocolate at work by DH). I even did a bit of baking today - made a big carrot and walnut cake and chocolate chip cookies. I am going to slice the cake and freeze individual portions to take to work everyday. I think will only need milk next week so all going well with the grocery challenge.

MQ
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Evening everyone

I've been away for a few days and I've just managed to catch up with your posts - I've skipped the majority of them - i was looking for budgets, apologies if I've missed something important

Away to update the first page now

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business