August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Hi Everyone,

Spends for today:

Mr A: £46.61 including £6 on a birthday cake for me to take to work Tuesday- it massive and chocolate and I want to eat it now :rotfl:To be honest I dont feel I got alot for my money but I think it because you can go to A!di and get a big trolley full for £40

2nd Purse £10

This takes me over £322.81 from a budget of £300!!!! I will have more spends to add tonight as we are eating out but that should be it then until September (:eek:) GC

Every month Im spending less and I fairly happy with the progress considering how much time I have to dedicate to it (not alot lol)
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi all, just popping in to use the lemon drizzle recipe on the front page. I've decided to have a little break from recording my spends for the duration of the summer holidays but don't worry, i'm not doing any silly spending! As well as the lemon drizzle cake in the oven, there's chicken stock simmering away and a gammon joint in the slow cooker.

Hope everyone is having a good August and I'm really looking forward to starting again from 1st September.
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    vanoonoo wrote: »
    if anyone has a heads up for milk alternatives on offer I'd appreciate it! alpr0 is sooooo expensive! I prefer the sweetened ones as the unsweetened is vile and leaves my mouth feeling dry. I'd also like to get away from the soya ones so all suggestions greatfully received :D

vanoonoo - If you are looking for dairy free and soya free I think you are looking at rice milk, oat milk and nut (almond or hazelnut, usually) milk. As to offers, I just did a quick comparison on mysupermarket and all the options are 90p a litre or more. Mostly rice milk is in the region of £1.39 but if you only wanted to ditch Alpro there are some good own brand soya milks. I think Elsiepac tried them all a few months ago and from memory, I think she ended up with something she dilutes with water (lots of us do that with milk too).

If you are feeling adventurous there are several rice milk recipes on-line. You would need to consider fortifying non-commercial rice milk though as it won't have the same nutrients as shop bought. It depends how :money: you want to be

Good luck
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Vanoonoo you can also make your own nut milk with almonds, cashews or even with sunflower seeds. I am sure you can find plenty of recipes online but the basics are: soak a handful of nuts or seeds in a Lt of water in a jug or jar in the fridge overnight. Add any sweetener of your choice if you like it sweet. In the morning, put through blender, strain through cheesecloth. Use the liquid as milk and the strained pulp to make burgers, rissoles etc.

This method is not suitable for making soya milk, that is a longer process and it involves cooking the milk, plenty of recipes for this online too. HTH
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    thanks ladies - I hadnt considered making my own but it might actually be feasible esp over the winter - I managed to find alpro in a shop called bargain buys today for 49p for a litre - result! need to adjust my signature now :D
    Blah
  • MILLYMOLLY
    MILLYMOLLY Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Hi everyone
    can someone help

I have made a banana cake in sandwich tins but I'm not sure what to put in the middle has anybody got an easy recipe please
    Thanks
    Starting to save £2 coins again, but it is a struggle:rotfl:Not doing very well keep spending them
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    All I needed to get today was fruit & veg - needless to say brought more than those two items and ended up spending £22.04 :mad:

I nipped to Lidl for some of their onions on offer today and the skimmed milk but none of either item left.

I have some peppers and tomatoes roasting in the oven which will be turned into soup and have also done some minced beef & veg for cottage pies, there will be enough for at least 8 portions maybe more. These will be frozen if can find the room if not they will have to go in mum’s freezer for now.

May need some eggs in the week but that’s all I am buying until Thursday (well that’s the plan anyway):rotfl:

This weeks ‘new’ recipe for me to try is Huevos a la Flemenca (basically eggs with ham and tomatoes)

If anyone uses Daddies Brown sauce its half price in Morrison’s

ROASTED RED PEPPER & TOMATO SOUP
    • 1 onion - peeled and cut into 4
    • 1 courgette - cut into 3-4 chunks - optional
    • Garlic clove - just flattened
    • 3-4 peppers (any but green) halved and deseeded. Today I used red, orange and yellow
    • Tomatoes - cut in half - How many depends on what I have that need using but probably 4-5 large ones and a few smaller ones
    • Oil
    • Chicken or veg stock - fresh or from cube
    Put onion, courgette, garlic, peppers and tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle over oil and add some rock salt if you wish. Roast in the oven till softened then when cool enough to handle peel of the skin from the peppers (you can also do the tomatoes but I don’t bother )

Squash the garlic out and then blend the garlic, and vegetables together till smooth. Add some stock and season. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley/basil , swirl of cream or some croutons.

If you have other veg to use up then add these as well. I have in the past used up carrot, potato and leek in this soup.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Just a flying visit to update £62.19 spent so far this month - I will need to do a shop this week but that'll be it - Really pleased with myself!

I heart gc!!!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Billie-jo, I've added your Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup to the recipe index :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Caterina wrote: »
    Vanoonoo you can also make your own nut milk with almonds, cashews or even with sunflower seeds. I am sure you can find plenty of recipes online but the basics are: soak a handful of nuts or seeds in a Lt of water in a jug or jar in the fridge overnight. Add any sweetener of your choice if you like it sweet. In the morning, put through blender, strain through cheesecloth. Use the liquid as milk and the strained pulp to make burgers, rissoles etc.

This method is not suitable for making soya milk, that is a longer process and it involves cooking the milk, plenty of recipes for this online too. HTH

I love backbone methods like this. So easy to remember:T
    Nice one :A
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business