August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Am seeing a friend for lunch today, should I record the food expense as grocery or as entertainment (meaning it does not affect the GC)? Thank you for advice! Also, the food will be paid by my morning babysit, not by the family resources.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Nice haul QT!!!!:T

Next weeks spend will be lowered with a good stock like that!!!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Morning
    Breakfast will be cereal, we still have 9 boxes left off the recent vouchers. :cool:
    Lunch will be YS salad with some left over chicken and coleslaw.
    Dinner will be some thing quick or a meal out. It all depends on my neices exam results. I feel sick for her. I text her first thing and she has been awake since 2am.

I am hoping for a no spend day today but I have an order to pick up at MrA. If they have any of the 40p shaving gel left then I will have to bring it home with me. :D

I hope everyone is well. x :)

Good luck to anyone getting results today. :T
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • jasmin10
    jasmin10 Posts: 905 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2012 at 7:38AM
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Jasmin10 - Hope everything went ok at the hospital today.

I was really touched with you thinking about me in your post - it really meant a lot to me - thank you so much. it was ok, lots of waiting and standing around. It was a pre-op ready for an op on 11th, I really cant wait. In 2010 a m/c twins and then another later that year. As you can see tho I then went on to have a successful pg and had DD number 2 on Boxing Day. They have now put it all down to Endometriosis and having a laparoscopy to laser it all and sterilisation at the same time - will be so glad when it's all over as the pain of the last two yrs (mental and physical) can have a line drawn under it.

MrsCD wrote: »
    how about making some crumble mix ready to use and freezing it to use with your fruit - just take out what you need each time.
    Spendid idea, dont know why I never thought of that as I do this with breadcrumbs I make from the end of a loaf.

Kitchenbunny - wow that was a fantastic shop.

Oh my goodness, I really know how to do it don't I lol. My beloved MR BM has finally given up the ghost (had it donkeys), so contemplated getting another. then my roving eye turned towarded the Panasonics - eeek. Long and short DH set to treat myself as I have been doing so well saving us some money and working so hard at it. Also the fact that when his shifts change again we will have even less money to go round, so might as well indulge while I can. So this week I am the proud owner of a panasonic SD2501wxc or whatever that bit is. It is really really nice but miss my MR, guess I will get used to it as everyone raves about them on mse.

So GC wise I have £4 odd until 27th. I need to get today 4 tins tuna for DH (£2.08) and some mince at £2.49. I'm now trying to stretch the washing powder but will see. Dont get me wrong if push comes to shove I have money to get a few extras, but it defeats the object of the GC and saving as much money as we can to get the things we need, sofa, car, and hopefully a holiday and once we have achieved this to hurry and start making op again on the mortgage and build up the savings.

Gosh so much isnt there.

Just want 28th (payday) to hurry so that I can start afresh and build up my 'float' again (money left over from each shop). Will also be able to go out with DD's once we've been paid - planning on going to the seaside :)

Anyhow, hope you all have a lovely day.
    TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Caterina wrote: »
    Am seeing a friend for lunch today, should I record the food expense as grocery or as entertainment (meaning it does not affect the GC)? Thank you for advice! Also, the food will be paid by my morning babysit, not by the family resources.

Caterina I think I'd take it out of the 'Entertainment budget' especially as you're paying with babysit money (I presume you use that money for other things than GC usually?)

kitchenbunny, hope all is well with you and yours, see you in Sept.

quintwins, what a haul, well done you :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • pajama
    pajama Posts: 204 Forumite
    quintwins Wow what a great shop you had. Well done you.

If I lived by myself, the GC would be a doddle! As it is, I don't, so am finding it difficult with teenagers moaning there's nothing to eat in the house. I tell them we have plenty and they just need to use a little imagination to create some tasty snacks and lunches but they are too lazy.

So further spends in Aldi £7.10, Sainsbugs £4.60, Morrisons £4.29 and £5.00 on a 12.5kg sack of spuds at the farm shop. I've noticed the sacks of new season spuds are getting more expensive:eek: I've already updated my signature.
    Grocery Challenge - Sept £205.56/£350.00

• Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,041
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    On a train to London for a surprise birthday trip!! Thought I had a no spend day yesterday but OH informs me he spent around £10 and the receipt is waiting at home lol. I'll update after I'm home on Sunday! Will be NSDs til then as my lovely OH is paying for this trip! So excited. :D and see you all on Sunday!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2012 at 1:30PM
    Have spent £7.20 on fish & chips :eek:(naughty but its too late now) plus shopping in Aldi so total now at £82.59 Some of their veg doesn’t seem to last so will need some of that at weekend and also tomorrow we are going to a Chinese warehouse so will hopefully stock up a few more things. I am really after some of their king prawns depending on price. Anyone know what’s reasonable for a kilo?

Had a large pack of mushrooms that needed using so made some soup with them and put the rest in some ragu sauce for lasagne which we had for tea yesterday and there has gone one in the freezer. Did the one from The Hairy Bikers (without pasta) Very nice and didn’t miss the pasta at all.
    We have one of the grand children here for 3 days this week so got him to help with the soup, he said it was lovely which was surprising as at he doesn’t usually like mushroom soup - probably helped that he did some of it himself. Have just turned a chunk of stale bread into breadcrumbs as well for later.

MUShROOM SOUP

Oil

Knob butter

250-300g mushrooms - finely chopped

1 onion - diced

Broccoli stalks if you have them - chopped

¼ tsp ginger - grated - optional

¼ tsp celery seeds - optional

1 clove garlic - crushed

Chicken or vegetable stock - fresh or from a cube

Milk

Slowly sweat everything except for the liquids in the oil and butter - for 15-20 mins

Add the stock and some milk and heat. I now bend it but its up to how you like it and you can add cream but I didn’t have any in and was not going to buy some. Serve with crusty bread or croutons. If the soup is a bit thin then thicken with cornflour and milk.

DO NOT do as I did and drop the celery seeds or you will be cleaning up for a week! :mad:

Well done QUINTWINS on your shop. Have never seen reductions like that in any of our shops.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Debt Free Soon I tend to do an online stock up on essentials and whats on offer, like the 4p tins of mushy peas in tesco, and then do the odd YS run and when i find something i use all the time, i do a big stock up of it
    Quintwins agree that is well worth going over budget for, as you will no doubt come under next time
    Craigywv you could try making raspberry liquor for xmas, there are a few different ways, but it is so easy
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Billie-jo, I've added your Mushroom Soup to the recipe index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing